PDA

View Full Version : Online database

machtrim007
2nd Aug 2004, 07:56
I recently bought the Oxford ATPL Theory question disk - which is quite good. However, I understand that the FAA have their database online allowing candidates to review the style and type in addition to the actual questions from the exam. Is this going to happen in the UK? If so, when?

I much prefer the 'electronic method' - ie sitting in front of a screen answering question after question (perhaps it's cos my admin is so bad). Are there any more products like this on the market?

:8

Capt. Manuvar
2nd Aug 2004, 17:45
machtrim007
I've got the same CD and my ATPL school uses a web based system. having studied in different countries i can tell you that the UK has a reputation for making exams and studying in general harder than is necessary. By not releasing the questions database, they are trying to make the exams harder than is necessary, to "maintain high standards". The only thing UK training has going for it is that it is harder than training offered in other countries. unfortunately it is not necessarily of a better quality.
Why do theymake us do the exams in a maximum of three seatings, even though we have 18 (or is it 24?) months to complete the exams? Wouldn't it be better if you could of you could do two exams a months for 7 months. It sure as h&ll won't make you a better or worse pilot. i would like to know what reasons the Belgrano have for the layout of the current system.
there is a questions database (illegal?) that has been floating around cyberspace recently. I don't know the exact website, but a bit of googling should lead you to the right place. i wouldn't bother if i were you as i hear the question bank is going to be changed soon.
As for doing the actual exam on a computer system, the Belgrano don't do technology or "user friendly".
Good luck
Capt. M

machtrim007
4th Aug 2004, 18:09
Thanks for your comments. I just sat my RNAV today and somebody at the exam centre mentioned that a company in the UK had or was compiling all this info and was going to release it on the web. I'll let you know.

Did anyone buy that disc that was floating about? - I understood that it wasn't that accurate/good anyway. The feedback questions really helped me today anyway. I rekon that I had seen about 75% of the questions before - just from what I had been briefed from my course.

Little Black Box
4th Aug 2004, 19:03
take a look at www.iwannabeapilot.com

LBB

machtrim007
6th Aug 2004, 14:14
Thanks. I had a look at this site - but it wouldn't let me register. Good idea, but it didn't work for me. Looks like they me be experiencing a few technical problems.

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything more specific etc.

YYZ
11th Aug 2004, 12:14
I think This (http://82.33.206.228/jaaonline/jalo/index.asp) is what your after?
There is a small but worthwhile cost attached.

YYZ