PDA

View Full Version : CLOSE near miss Video

Derf1
2nd Aug 2004, 02:13
Near miss video....

http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/videos/videos/Nearmiss.WMV

How often does this happen and is it as close as it looks?

Looking for as much info as possible

sanket_patel
2nd Aug 2004, 03:32
Hmm Derf1. Clear skies, visibility is very good.. i think that was probably during an airshow or was purposely performed for some reason. I wouldn't wait that last moment for a go around when i can see that aircraft long before. Very cool video though :ok:

HotDog
2nd Aug 2004, 03:34
That wasn't a near miss just a normal go around missed approach due to the other fighter on the runway too slow to start his take off run.

ecj
2nd Aug 2004, 08:11
I would not describe that as a "normal" go-around.

It was, at best, a very late go-around. Just what the circumstances were surrounding this event are not stated.

Was this a training film?

It must have been apparent to the ac on final quite sometime before that a landing would not be possible, and yet continued the approach. Why??

The pilot of the departing ac might well have had a "surprise" seeing his mate flying by.

Had this involved public transport ac, the AAIB may have been interested in the incident.

HotDog
2nd Aug 2004, 08:24
OK ecj, not a normal commercial go around but not at all unusual in the military, especially carrier based fast jets.

Basil
2nd Aug 2004, 08:29
Just fighter jocks dicking about - no worries :D
Recollect calibrating the PAR at a German RAF station and was asked if it was OK for a Luftwaffe Starfighter to take off towards us - assured he'd turn away as soon as airborne. Said OK.
Red Baron II had other ideas and thought how zehr jolly to take the p1ss out of ze RAF so flew up the 3 deg slope at us, making very late break-away. I bet zey laughed so much mit der steins zat night :D

tired-flyboy
2nd Aug 2004, 09:30
Yip FJ stick monkeys fooling about - PS they ain't carrier based ac. (in case your wondering)

:ok:

To add - the pilot would have been told to 'overshoot' (normally on the 'deadside' of the active runway) - long before he/she ever got to that point at an aerodrome. if the controller judged that separation wasn't gonna be achieved!!!

:ok:

prob a training video

Notso Fantastic
2nd Aug 2004, 10:56
With visibility that good and an aeroplane in sunshine on the threshold, I very much doubt that a Tornado on the approach got that close before seeing and going around, coincidently all the while being filmed! As stated, this is either planned skylarking, an airshow or training video. The rocking and evident element of great 'surprise' when it should have easily been visible 1/2 mile out shows this is some sort of set up!

con-pilot
2nd Aug 2004, 20:55
Naw, they be just having some fun.:)

witchdoctor
3rd Aug 2004, 11:01
Discussed on the Mil forum within the last couple of months. Old piece of footage, but apparently not a set up for the cameras. Definitely not a 'normal' go around for the FJ boys - I think they'd be rather disappointed to know Joe Public assumes such gash flying is par for the course.

As for the viz, suggest looking at the vid again. Very hazy at low level, and it ain't the exhaust gases - at least not in front of the F3 on the threshold.

Capt. J
3rd Aug 2004, 11:34
Agree with con-pilot. Looks like they did it on purpose for fun :}

rej
7th Aug 2004, 07:53
Can't go into any details - but it was not set up for the cameras nor was it a couple of jet-jockeys having a bit of fun.

Teddy Robinson
7th Aug 2004, 12:19
Spoze a clue is the item most often overlooked on an unplanned G/A ... the gear ain't travelling :oh: