PDA

View Full Version : CPL training with less than 100 hours P1?

Obs cop
29th Jul 2004, 08:49
I am in the position that at the current rate of training, I will meet the minimum standards for commencing CPL training with about 75 hours PIC.

As far as I can see you need 150 hours total to commence the training and 200 hours including 100 PIC for licence issue.

After the CPL course that would leave me 25 hours solo to build taking me from 175tt to the 200 hours total.

Is this a valid option or should I get all the PIC under my belt before starting the course?

Obs cop

Penworth
29th Jul 2004, 09:01
I asked this question a few months ago, and the consensus seemed to be that there was nothing wrong with doing the CPL course prior to having 100 hours P1, and indeed it was a common way of doing things.

Having said that, I haven't actually started the CPL course yet so I don't know how valuable those extra 25 hours P1 are in getting you up to CPL standards.

PW

LFS
29th Jul 2004, 09:18
Obs Cop,

You are right that you only need the 150 hours TT to start the course and the 100 hours PIC is for licence issue. If you intend to combine the CPL with a M/E rating you will need 70 hours PIC to start the course. It is common for students to do the CPL without having 100 hours PIC, although every bit of experience before the course will help.

Johe02
29th Jul 2004, 15:47
Pretty sure you have to have all the written exams done before you start too. . .

Could be wrong. . :confused:

LFS
29th Jul 2004, 16:11
you need the written exams passed to take the CPL flight test. So there is no real point in gambling by starting the course without having the all passed then having to wait to sit the test whilst you finish the exams.

Obs cop
30th Jul 2004, 13:52
If there is one thing I have learnt from these forums it is not to gamble when money is involved and as such I won't be starting my CPL until the exams are complete.

My main point of interest is whether there is anything to be gained by waiting until I have the 100 hours PIC (by which time I will have 175 hours) before commencing the CPL course. The practicalities are that I will be at 150 hours at about the same time as my exams should be complete and I would like to go into the CPL training with the knowledge as fresh as possible.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Is there anyone who has gone for the CPL prior to 100 hours PIC who can comment on how difficult it was and if they felt that could be made worse with less P1 time?

Obs cop

razzele
30th Jul 2004, 14:42
i believe an additional and problematic requirement is the RT LICENCE, which could be an expensive issue if you are in america.

im sure you cant take the test without this and a currunt class 1 medical.

r

LFS
30th Jul 2004, 14:58
The RT licence is only an issue if you are converting an ICAO CPL, as 99.9999% of people with JAA/UK PPLs will already hold an RT licence. It is not a problematic thing, simply a short practical test with an RT examiner.

EGBKFLYER
31st Jul 2004, 06:00
What about doing the IR first? Then you don't need any minimum hours as far as I'm aware...

In addition, although the IR is 55 hours, the CPL becomes 15 instead of 25 (no instrument flying required). In some cases, this may be cheaper than CPL first.

The warning would be that IR is a fairly steep learning curve and will be steeper if you have low hours and little or no complex time.

Evilbob
2nd Aug 2004, 16:57
Hi all,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 200hrs TT for those students on an integrated course? I was under the impression that students who elect to go modular have to attain 250hrs TT for licence issue.

LFS
2nd Aug 2004, 18:05
evil bob,

it is 200 hrs TT for issue of the CPL on the modular system. The integrated course is an 'all in' course leaving the student with (i believe) a minimum 195 hours TT at the end of it on an ATPL course and 180 hours TT on an integrated CPL/IR course.