PDA

View Full Version : Part Time IR

Future Pundit
28th Jul 2004, 18:33
Are there any FTOs who can provide a part time IR? Failing that has anybody heard of a school splitting the full time IR?

I am planning out next year, and I can only get leave in 4 week blocks.

Any help appreciated.

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
28th Jul 2004, 19:44
ravenair at liverpool can do IR however you odd flight to full time if that helps

QNH 1013
28th Jul 2004, 21:17
Professional Air Training (PAT) at Bournemouth were very flexible when I did my IR there about four years ago. Briefly, I was running my own business and arranged to travel down to Bournemouth on Thursday evenings (200miles), stayed in B&B, did IR training Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon and drove back home Monday evening and then tried to do five days work at the office during Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, again driving 200 miles Thursday evening back to Bournemouth.

I had completely overestimated my abilities to work at this pace for weeks on end and I got very tired.

I really do suggest that the IR needs at least three days a week and you need at least two days a week rest while doing it. In other words full-time with weekends off is good, while part-time i.e. working all week and trying to do the IR at weekends is bad.

This is just my opinion based on my experience, but I did find it exhausting, both mentally and financially.

Finally, Good Luck !

parris50
28th Jul 2004, 22:46
Did mine at EPTA in Bournemouth. They too were very flexible allowing to me to fly at weekends and during school holidays. I agree with QNH that blocks of training without long gaps is preferable. It is tiring to combine the training, which is quite demanding, with work but it is possible.:ok:

EGBKFLYER
30th Jul 2004, 10:44
Doing an IR at Aeros - Gloucester.

I still have a 'proper' day job, so I'm flying with them 3 days a week and working for three, with one day off (weekend shift option at work does help).

They plan to do an IR in 5 weeks, flying 5 days per week and so far are demonstrating that it is a realistic timescale. I am on schedule to complete in 6-7 weeks, due to my reduced availability. If you can get 4 weeks blocks off, you should be able to negotiate something that gets you very close to complete in the time available (top tip would be to do the MEP rating before commencing training for the IR - I did and it has probably saved me about 10 days).

PM me if you want more details.

Future Pundit
30th Jul 2004, 23:58
Thanks for the feedback. I had not really considered the benefit of doing an MEP prior to an IR. The Oxford course claims to be 12 weeks and they do not seem to be responsive to splitting it up.

I contacted Aeros and they were very helpfull. Any more experiences would be welcome.

avrodamo
31st Jul 2004, 06:50
Im doing mine at Sky Leisure at Shoreham. Im doing all the Sim work on a part time basis, and then finishing it off in a 4 week block in the aircraft. Doing it part time with them was no problem.:D

High Wing Drifter
31st Jul 2004, 09:01
That's good to hear Avro! My only option is part-time due to work (bah!) commitments (lack of holiday - grrr). Am thinking about Skylesuire or prehaps Blackbushe Aviation (same company I think) where I did me PPL.

How did you find them at Shoreham?

carbonfibre
2nd Aug 2004, 19:08
Did mine at PAT this year after starting it with another training provider, enough said on that, PAT sorted me out with easy to understand instruction, absoloutly no BS to contend with or fancy trickery with the brain in the air.

Can recommend them without a doubt, although it has been said, its hard work, but then again its hard doing it full time too.

I was working 4 on 4 off so it was easier in some respects with me.

I got a FTP so i was happy, now anyone wanna give me a job!!

Happy flying everyone

:ok:

2close
2nd Aug 2004, 20:45
Can anybody suggest a good ground studies programme for the SE IR, either distance learning through a school or self study (if this is appropriate)?

Many thanks,

2close

Hotel Uniform Yankee
3rd Aug 2004, 06:38
Most schools do appear to want to do these courses full time when I made some enquires. I did mine with Humber Flying Club at Humberside Airport. I was allowed to the course part time until the last 10 days which he insisted on doing full time. I just saved up my hoildays from work and used them for this part.

avrodamo
3rd Aug 2004, 07:13
High Wing Drifter,
I found them really good. Did my FI rating there, and i really liked the atmosphere and the training enviroment. If you feel happy and comfortable with a training outfit, then thats half the battle.....well thats how i feel anyway. The PT IR is not perfect, but needs must sometimes. Im sure if i work hard enough its achievable!!

trainer too 2
3rd Aug 2004, 08:31
Hi there,

Did mine at PAT a while ago. Would recommend doing it full time, see whether you could get some unpaid leave if necessary. It will be the most demanding training so far and is tiring.

When I was training we where stopped due to bad weather quite often and it would cost me at least an hour on the next season to get up and running again as the learning curve is very steep.. PAT has a sim now so bad weather should not be a problem but the breaks your are planning do not help the training process for your selves..

Good luck!

Island Hopper
25th Nov 2004, 20:27
How long does a part-time IR take assuming you devote 3 days a week?

What's the maximum time you can do in the sim or the aircraft each day?

Did those of you who did part-time IR's manage to pair up with another student, or did you have to cope on your own?

Cheers,
IH

EGBKFLYER
26th Nov 2004, 05:49
At three days per week, I took 5 weeks to complete an MEIR, though it would have taken about 2 weeks more if I had to do a MEP during (I already had one when I started).

The maximum I did was three 2 hour trips in one day - very tiring work but great fun. Typically though, flew two sessions per day whether in the sim or the a/c. Time in between was planning, reading or just chillin'!

I wasn't paired, due to my part-time status. However, I look upon that as a bonus - undivided attention and a course at my pace, not a compromise on mine and somone else's. I was still able to back-seat with two guys on a parallel, full-time IR, which was useful (and a nice day out when they went to Guernsey for ILS practice!)

RVR800
26th Nov 2004, 10:02
PAT seems to be the one that most people favour these days...

I suppose being based at the test centre helps....no repositioning costs

Bournemouth also has a good wx record and no glideslope problems like at Leeds

Linda Mollison
1st Dec 2004, 07:18
Both our website (www.pat.uk.com) and our main e-mail address ([email protected]) are temporarily 'off air'. We are changing our hosting company and the old one has pulled the plug on us!

We are contactable on [email protected] or 01202 593366.

Linda

Linda Mollison
7th Jan 2005, 07:43
Our website and e-mail address are - finally - back on line. It has taken over a month - remind me never to change my hosting company again.

My apologies to anyone who has tried to get hold of us and has been unsuccessful.

Linda

Canada Goose
8th Jan 2005, 10:54
RVR800; what is the problem with glideslope at Leeds ?

Thanks,
CG.