PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude for Flying

bearpaw
27th Jul 2004, 07:17
I am currently working towards my PPL and eventually would like to do my commercial pilots license. At the moment I have around 55 hours and don't feel ready for my GFT, although I have passed all the written exams. Is flying something you need to have an "aptitude" for? Should I stick with it or just give up now? Can instructors tell within a few hours if someone is going to make it or not?

2WingsOnMyWagon
27th Jul 2004, 07:47
You will be fine! It’s not that uncommon for students to take over 55 hours to obtain their PPL. I’m sure that when your instructor feels you are ready he will ask you to apply for test. It sounds like your having a bit of a confidence problem; this is also a regular thing with new pilots. Have a word with your instructor; i'm sure he'll sort you out.

Don’t worry about your CPL yet. Enjoy the privileges of your PPL first and when you are ready AND confident to move up then think about it. After your PPL try getting some ratings, e.g. Night, IMC, and multi.

If you really feel you want an aptitude test AFTER your PPL then try GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/)
GOOD LUCK!

Regards

2WINGS
:ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
27th Jul 2004, 07:52
Bear Paw,

As two wings said you will be fine. I seem to remember having similar thoughts when I first jumped into an aeroplane. The first thought that flashed through my mind when the wheels left the ground on my first flight was 'how the bloody hell am I going to fly this thing on my own?'. Its like anything, it all comes with practice. Also remember, by the time you are ready to start your CPL you will have passed all the exams, have around 150 hours total time and will be feeling alot more comfortable.

Enjoy it.

bearpaw
27th Jul 2004, 08:33
Guys, thanks for the words of support, thing is I bottled my GFT, I thought it wasn't going well and decided to return to the field!!! Now my instructor has no confidence in me and has suggested I am not really cut out for flying if I can't get the basics right!

I enjoy flying so much, what is the point of continuing if I am going to have to be watched closley! I thought flying was like driving a car - the more you practice the better you get!

2WingsOnMyWagon
27th Jul 2004, 10:56
Why wasn't your GFT going well? I dont understand your instructors attitude, if he had little confidence in you he shouldnt have sent you on test! For him to suggest that you are not cut-out for flying is a probably more a reflection of his poor level of instructing:suspect:

Are you sure you havnt misunderstood him? If not, then I recommend you should find a new instructor or even a new school!

Don't give up with flying, you'll regret it later!

2WINGS

NinjaBill
27th Jul 2004, 11:22
When I was taught by Air Cadets to be a gliding instructor, one of the first things I was told, was that if a student didnt 'get' what you were trying to teach them, 99% of the time, its bad instructional technique, not a bad student.

Find a new instructor and a new flying school.

bearpaw
27th Jul 2004, 11:26
2WingsOnMyWagon, I ws making silly mistakes on the GFT and over correcting, my confidence went and I just got myself in a bit of a mess!!

As for my instructor, I don't think I have misunderstood him!! My boyfriend has suggested that I find a new school also so I will consider it! At the moment I am feeling a bit bruised but plan to come back fighting and show my instructor just how good I can be!!!:ok:

2WingsOnMyWagon
27th Jul 2004, 11:35
Good for you! Im sure you'll be back on PPRuNe in a few weeks asking for some places to visit with your new licence:cool:

Regards

2WINGS

mazzy1026
27th Jul 2004, 11:48
'how the bloody hell am I going to fly this thing on my own?'

I know this feeling very well because I got it last week ! I do look forward to the day when I can come back here and say that I can now fly a plane.

Maybe in your case it's just nerves on the day? Tell yourself you can do it and ignore there is someone sat next to you. Just enjoy it.

Best of luck

Maz

Mooney12
27th Jul 2004, 11:50
Wyou might be having difficulty as you are a girl. Girls generally find it difficult flying, not all do, but most. For example most girls fail the aptitude tests at sponsorship schemes etc..

You also seem to be panicking too easily. A typical female trait also.

However if you have 55hrs now I would say you should definately be able to get your ppl. Definately don't give up just yet. See it through to the end.

GuinnessQueen
27th Jul 2004, 12:03
Come on Mooney 12, leave out the (inaccurate) sweeping generalisations.

I am sure most PPL's at some point have had a knock to their confidence. Persevere with it and then realise how rewarding and how much fun flying can be.

GQ

Sensible
27th Jul 2004, 13:14
Now my instructor has no confidence in me and has suggested I am not really cut out for flying if I can't get the basics right! I think first of all you need a new instructor, maybe even a new school. It's possibility that the truth is that your instructor can't get the basics right and is not cut out for instruction! You need to analyse the situation thouroughly. Is your instructor so bad that he would put you through a GFT before you are ready? Lots of us go through doubts about our abilities especially when every landing seems to go pear shaped. Go get a second opinion!

Keep smiling and try to relax.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
27th Jul 2004, 17:40
Funny thing this flying business, one minute you fly like a sky god next minute you fly like a muppet, or I do anyway. I had some terrible lessons during my CPL training, and the thoughts of being able to pass the test were not exactly positive. However when it came to test day, luck was on my side and it went really well.

Bear paw, chances are if you had taken your GFT, you probably would have passed with flying colours.

As everyone has said here, having a decent instructor most certainly helps, maybe its time to look around for different schools, or change your instructor.

Mazzy 1026, you will fly it on your own, and when you pass that test, it feels good, ask anyone here :D.

Anyway, enough from me, good luck when you finally nail that GFT.

EGAC_Ramper
27th Jul 2004, 18:00
Just to add,like most have said keep plugging away.I myself when I was learning failed my pre-solo checkride....:( Felt like S&*T and thought I was never going to do it.However calmed myself down for the next day and passed the PPL in minimum hours without any hitch whatsoever on my Flight test.Enjoyed every minute of it and hopefully next March time I'm off to Jerez to do fATPL!!:ok:

KEEP GOING!;)

bearpaw
27th Jul 2004, 21:37
Thanks everyone for the words of support, I really feel like I can do it now!!! Will be considering the instructor and flying school situation though! Will let you know when I get my license!:D

mazzy1026
28th Jul 2004, 08:28
Will let you know when I get my license!

I LIKE IT ! Such positive vibes :D

GJB
28th Jul 2004, 15:44
I would be more concerned if you weren't nervous.

This is an entirely natural reaction.

Your confidence has taken a beating from your instructor which was probably frustration on their part, as they will feel it reflects badly on them to send a student for test who then folds.

Perhaps you weren't ready.

Whatever you do, don't give up. You've already acheived so much more than 1st solo which I think is the ultimate test of having the right stuff. Many trainee pilots bumble around, putting off the inevitable and eventually give up without going solo. Those are the ones who aren't cut out for flying.

Best of luck.

Andy_R
28th Jul 2004, 17:17
You were having an off day. We all have them.

And if you were feeling that you couldn't cope in your test, then you made a good call in airmanship terms by calling the test off. I had to call of the Nav part of the test because of unforeseen low cloud and I can assure the others out there that it takes far more bottle to call off either the whole test or part of it, than it does to continue to struggle through. SAFETY FIRST.

You'll get there and wonder what all the fuss was about!!

But if your instructor is making comments like that..... get rid!!

Good luck.

bearpaw
29th Jul 2004, 17:45
Thanks again for all the support!! Lets just hope for some good weather so that I can do my GFT again!!:D