PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question

Tonic Please
22nd Jul 2004, 22:17
Straight to the point here. No long explanations. Just some advice needed from those in the know...

If I came out early next year for one year from the UK with all the money needed to do my CPL, multi, night and instrument, after one year, on the Eastern side of Canada (as in Ontario, Quebec preferably), what would my oppertunities be, and what would the pay be like.

I already have the Canadian PPL. I am currently 19, and would be 21 when the training is finished.

Finer details will emerge as I acquire answers and knowledge (or get asked for specifics).

Thanks a lot,
Dan

yyzdub
23rd Jul 2004, 17:40
Tonic Please,

First off, make sure your spelling is up to scratch.

Second, I wouldn't worry about pay at this stage of the game if you're not even at the CPL stage yet.

Third, your options with the bare minimums would be probably that of a dock hand in the far north for 6-12months and then maybe an opportunity to progress to a flying position.

Fourth, do you have a visa? If not then what is available to you is limited. If you do, then there is always instructing or revert back to my third point.

Fifth, focusing on Quebec and Ontario will probably get you nowhere. My advice would be to head out to BC, Alberta, NWT, etc and do your training there. Find somewhere that is reputable but small enough to do some networking for yourself and where the competition may not be as strong.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

yyzdub

JBI
24th Jul 2004, 18:16
HI Tonic,

After completing your CPL and mutli-IFR your options would include instructing or working the ramp (not in Ontario). For instrcuting the pay would be around $14 an hour for flying hour, which doesn't work out to very much a month. Most instructors I know have to work another job to survive.

For working the ramp, You work your a$$ off and don't get paid much better than flight instructing, and there are very few places in Ontario where you'd have the opportunity to work your way up into a flying position. The best companies for that are in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and the North West Territories. Usually after a year or two you'll get a co-pilot spot on a twin turbine.

Wish I could tell you better news, but working conditions for low time pilots in Canada suck. And there are no cadet programs for any of the airlines.