PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe units at Bad Lippspringe info!

RAPA Pilot
21st Jul 2004, 11:16
Hi all,
I am a Jump pilot flying out of Bad Lippspringe in Germany for the British Army. I would like to find out a little more about the airfield I am flying out of. There are many earth workings and old blast pens scattered amoung the woods. Indeed whilst walking the dog I found a clip of rifle rounds that I have identified as 7.92mm.
The rim is marked 43 and DEN. So the year of manufacture is 1943 but I have not been able to ident the DEN yet.
Would be grateful for any info.

I am also looking for a book that I read many years ago about a US 8th army airforce bombing raid that took place in 1944 to Schweinfurt and Regensburg. It was extreamly well researched and I would like to find I again.

Many thanks
:)

PPRuNe Pop
21st Jul 2004, 13:21
These are a few of the weapons using that ammo. Most of them are old, very old, the ZB rifle and LMG is of pre WW1 Czech manufacture - ironic that!

The 34 may be a rapid fire LMG which was commonly called 'Spandau' (because it was made near there but is actually made by Mauser) - it fired some 800-900 rounds a minute and out-matched the Bren gun. Not sure what DEN on the ammo refers to.

7.92mm Maschinengewehr 34 light machine-gun

7.92mm ZB light machine-gun model 1930

7.92mm ZB rifle model 1924

By the by I was stationed in Barker Barracks in Paderborn which was a Panzer barracks - so were we, well RTR, and we often found stuff of a similar kind in the woods. A Tiger tank included, which had been hit by allied troops.

I flew as jump pilot at Lippspringe too. Small world innit?

Not much to do with aviation, but I think we can tag the memory a little! :ok:

RAPA Pilot
22nd Jul 2004, 11:57
So POP
U 2 were here in BL. How long ago were you dropping meat bombs into the trees and lakes or the B1? What were u flying?
Who was the commandant? Do you have any photos of your time here?
Sorry thatīs a lot of questions. This year was the 40th anniversary of the RAPA championships. Many old faces and pilots showed up for the party. I was privillaged to have been there for the event.
C.