PDA

View Full Version : Solution, please.

someuser
19th Jul 2004, 23:17
Hello all,

You have an amazing forum. Good luck :)

I love flying, my father has been a pilot for over 30 years now for the national carrier, and I so much dream to become a pilot like him, infact: my dream is to be driving a plane next to him.

This dream could come true yet:

1) The first problem is my eye-sight, I don't know how good will it be, I wear eye-glasses, yet I don't think that's acceptable at the medical centre, however my father will take me there and do me the check up, and I am worried heaps about it. Although I see quite clearly things that are near.

2) Should I be a total nock out in Math or Physics? honestly I am not so good at them because I didn't enjoy studying them at school for a fact that I didn't know how to study them. Does that REALLY matter for me applying as a pilot or actually, how important is that?

Can you provide me with solutions? Thank you so much. I've made up my mind to become a pilot and I will struggle with all I have to reach this dream, since few people do.

Thanks again.
Regards.

Irishwingz
20th Jul 2004, 00:17
Hi there

Good on you, chase that dream of becoming a pilot.

Things are never easy in this life and becoming a pilot takes alot of hard work. Having only done a PPL I can say that the math involved is pretty easy - no more difficult than medium level high school. However I believe that for CPL and ATPLs it does get harder (cant say for sure - maybe someone else can?)

Physics and math will certainly assist you. Math is a must do so I would not even consider knocking it out. Get extra tuition to help you.

I was pretty average in school at math but if I had know I may one day be applying it to flying I might have taken a keener interest. So stick with it!!!!

Eyesight - I've had my share of experience. Go to this website:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds.pdf

Its a acrobat file. If you cannot open it, go to an internet cafe and print it off there. Bring it to a good optician and ask them if you would be ok. Even if you are just outside the limits dont lose hope.

Best of luck

:ok:

someuser
20th Jul 2004, 07:41
Thank you so much for the help. :)

I shall keep you updated.

Pilot16
20th Jul 2004, 10:29
Its a lengthy road : becomming a pilot. Its a good thing your dad is one, he can advise you in matters.

I think its a very good idea that you print out the CAA/JAA Visual standards for Class 1 (the link to what Irishwingz posted), take it to your local Opticians and get the optometrist to compare the requirements with what he or she finds.

That should help.

All the best :ok:

someuser
20th Jul 2004, 11:17
But those are refered to the UK. I'm not from the UK, I'm from a country in the Middle East, are those applied world wide? or do they differ from country to another?

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Jul 2004, 12:06
The visual standards vary from country to country, so go to your local medical (aviation) centre and they can advice you accordingly.

Best of luck

FD

Irishwingz
20th Jul 2004, 20:50
If you can pass the UK (JAR) requirements I'd bet that you'd pass them anywhere!!:8