PDA

View Full Version : RIAT - The Verdict (aka debate....)

Morrissey
18th Jul 2004, 21:47
It's going to crop up at some point - so what were your opinions of this year's event?

I thought that overall it was more laid back, better organised and a thoroughly enjoyable day out. Before there are complaints of ticket prices compare it to another full days entertainment - not bad value for 8+ hours of entertainment.

Was pleasantly surprised that the two minor niggles I had from last year had been ironed out.

paulc
19th Jul 2004, 07:16
I went yesterday (sunday) and it was a good day out.

parking was well organised with little queuing either way although it was a bit disappointing that the public were not admitted until 7.30 as this meant that you only had a short time before the flying display started at 10am. Catering / toilet facilties were good with reasonable prices and few queues.

I thought the flying display was decidely average but was very disappointed that the B1 & B52 were first off with most people still wandering around the static.

Given the size of the airbase it was frustrating to see how close together some of the aircraft were parked esp KC135/E8 etc.

A lot of anticipated stuff did not turn up leading to large gaps in static and a few missing items in flying display. (no Spanish/Swedish) Few aerobatic teams - only the Reds, Finnish and Swiss.

Given it was the 50th anniversary of C130 - a 4 ship flypast with one pass was very poor and with few exotic examples in the static.

Can the organisers put the PA system speaker behind the crowd line as the poles are quite high and intrusive for photograhpy.

The commentary I found irritating and intrusive - facts wrong and failed on several occasions to tell the crowd what was about to take off. As the crowd were along the entire runway length, seeing the hold / departure end was not often possible and so relied upon the PA to keep us informed.

Would I go again ?? - yes but not sure when.

Wycombe
19th Jul 2004, 07:58
They do really seem to have got the traffic mgmt sorted - no queues either in or out for me. No delays really at the security check either.

Flying display was a bit average compared to past years, but we have been spoilt in the past.

Best display item was the Super Hornet, but many other enjoyable bits (Alan Wade in the Firefly as always, the Sukhoi, liked the Paul Bowen tribute aswell).

Some RIAT-volunteer chums commented that some of the freebies/gizzits have disappeared, but if that means more money goes to RAFBFE, then isn't that what it's all about?

I know they look nice (and the pax are paying the bills), but there were too many Gulfstreams coming and going during the display - send them to Brize (or Kemble!)

Yep, I had a good day.

phoenix son
19th Jul 2004, 08:23
Verdict - A good day out. Anyting that keeps my wife entertained for the duration of it whilst I get to play at my hobby is A GOOD THING in my book. £35 not massively excessive for the whole package. Not as many exotic aircraft as in previous years, but that's to be expected in this era of cost-cutting/wars etc. Looking forward to the next one!

PHX

mullers
19th Jul 2004, 12:15
Thoroughly enjoyable day out, if a little expensive.

Does anyone know whether that BA 747 charter was for fee paying pax or was it perhaps a BA staff freebie?? Just curious.

Tacklebury
19th Jul 2004, 12:16
As a first time volunteer of this years RIAT I thoroughly enjoyed it. I understand that as Wycombe comments some of the freebies were taken away, however I fail to understand how an airside pass costs money, surly its a few pieces of paper and a signature?

Either way as it was I was allowed to stand right on the hold for the runway, this allowed for lots of pics (12 rolls!!!) and a fantastic view of the a/c. The jet blast from one of the P51's was awesome!!

I thought the show was good, its a shame the Russians still can't perform here as they never fail to impress. Respect to the G222 pilot who put on an amazing display, with impressive wing overs that were a sight to see. There was also a small single prop Honda of some form! Sadly I was driving round the sight when this was one. The guy even spoke through the PA as he pulled 12g aero's!!

All in all I feel it was a fantastic event.

p.s, Glad the car parking was ok!!

Wycombe
19th Jul 2004, 13:07
Mullers,

The BA 744 is a public charter from LHR. Cost is approx £125, including show entry. Don't know about Sat, but it was full yesterday (350 pax)

Tackle,

The "freebies" I'm referring to were the RIAT baseball caps, polo shirts, complimentary tickets etc. that we all used to plied with a few years back.

The aircraft in Honda colours was a Sukhoi 26, flown by Will Curtis - I thought it was good too :D

Harrier46
19th Jul 2004, 14:26
Having been to almost all since the Greenham Common days I have to say this one was a bit disappointing. With the display line now so far from the crowd it is no doubt safer but certainly less spectacular. Flying display full of gaps, perhaps a shorter programme with less gaps could be tried. Several aircraft very sedate displays (F117, as expected), Typhoon (RAF still running it in?) and with some very wide circuits. The Gulfstreams popping in and out probably filled in some of the gaps.
Static was average (by RIAT standards) with a definite lack of more exotic types and countries.
Perhaps I am expecting too much though, RIAT still is the number one in Europe.

TRISTARLOVER
19th Jul 2004, 20:01
Have attended the Air Tattoo's for the past 20 years , sadly the content has gone down hill ..we've been truely spoilt in the past.

Happy times of tu-95'S , tu-22'S , SU-27's , SU-22's and MIG's.The flying display is mediocre , the layout generally better although the distinct lack of exotic static aircraft was apparent this year. To say the event commemorated D Day the US presence was pretty low ... if the B2 comes all the way from Whiteman .. let it land for an hour or so , just to give the crew a pee and the enthusiasts a chance to see it on the ground even if it parks remotely !! Lots of interesting types can be found on our
own continent ... I've yet to see one of the uk based Alphajets.

With all the eastern bloc countries more or less in NATO , why no lines of east european aircraft in the static? Yep I know its down to costs , but if this show is for us pure true aircraft buffs , I'd rather see sponsorpship of the foreign aircraft to get here than lines of the same hawks , tornado's and ageing equipment being pushed out onto the line.

Come on RIAT , as a member of FRIAT let's get our moneys worth !! With Farmborough following straight on , you'd expect something to turn up prior to that show at Fairford , little did !! ....but hey Farnborough isn't worth the travelling or the entry cost !

End of whinge ........ I know people found it enjoyable but you can't please everybody .... and I'll probably fork out another
£140 for my tickets again next year to turn up and see the empty
lines of promised aircraft................I would rather they didn't tell
spotters what should be turining up ...then it isn't as disappointing if they dont !!!

simon brown
19th Jul 2004, 20:07
I havent been for a few years but visit the flyout every year for half the cost and you get sooo much closer to the aircraft. Todays was as good as usual with the F117 doing several flypasts, and a B2 returning. However people with step ladders can be a bit annoying..... :ok:

Caslance
19th Jul 2004, 21:04
The jet blast from one of the P51's was awesome!! Jet Blast?

P51???? :ooh:

mullers
20th Jul 2004, 08:25
Harrier46,

With ref to the Typhoon:

Wings fm at the event actually said that the reason that it did not do a 'proper' display was because they were prioritising the conversion of pilots onto the aircraft and didnt have time to put together a display just yet. This was also the excuse quoted when it flew at RAF Cosford a few weeks ago. Its fair enough I Suppose but I am still a little disappointed that they couldnt get hold of a test pilot or similar to show off the RAF's latest acquisition??

Tacklebury
20th Jul 2004, 12:04
OK, OK!!!!

The Prop blast was awesome!!!

I thought I might get picked up for that one!!!

Tackle

murphywnj
20th Jul 2004, 12:58
Just thought I'd give my views.

As I am a member of the ATC I was able to go on the Friday to the armed forces youth day. Now to get in for free meant that we couldn't really complain but...

I have to agree with some people on here, I remember RIAT when they had TU-160's, TU-95's etc etc.

The flying display Friday was a bit disjointed due to the bad weather but those who displayed didn't do too bad a job. The Super Hornet was incredible, I enjoyed the Tornado display as well. My favourite though was the display from the 2 RN Lynx's and their synchronised flying...fantastic!

There was enough to do for the day, most of the static displays were accessable although we couldn't get near the C-5 or C-141?

Left alot to be desired, but I enjoyed it for the simple fact that for us it was free:rolleyes:

SilentHandover
20th Jul 2004, 19:34
The main reason the parking and travelling were so good this year was the lack of punters, barely 37,000 paid to come through the gates on saturday this year, compared to 125,000 plus per day 10 years ago.

p.s. glad you liked the name we gave you and our company Tacklebury!!!!!! I hope it sticks!!!

Ciao Ciao

Avalon
20th Jul 2004, 20:58
Only 37000 Saturday visitors........ thats not very good I'm afraid. I don't think RIAT is sustainable at this rate. A quick check of the Charity Commission Web Site reveals that their accounts look pretty poor reading as well. I wonder if this was the last?
:(

St Helens
20th Jul 2004, 21:20
Having been at RIAT on Sat and being part of the media, so I get in for free, I have to admit I would feel agrieved if I had paid.
Yes this year the parking and transport to the site was really good - full marks for that.
The static was nothing to write home about,
The display was again nothing special, that said there were some outstanding displays - the G222 was well flown as was the Sukhoi 26. The Red Arrows were as always totally profesional as were the Swiss but the rest was hardly worth raising the lens for.
The crowds were well down and I cannot see this event being in the callender for much longer with the spiraling costs and the lowering attendances. If you do not thrill the crowds then they will not going to part with their money, average cost for the day is over £100 for a family of 4.
There was one other critisism I overheard and that was about the people setting up no go areas along the crowd line fence. I went for a walk through the crowds and I have to admit seeing people with wind-breaks set up and umbrella's and ladders did give an impression of Germans on holiday and towels (appologies for any Germans that read this) I did see a lot of people laying down with eyes closed while the Tornado blasted across the sky,
I think that says something they could not have all been cream crackered.
Finally with Farnborough on the following week I feel it is time that RIAT and SBAC should think of putting the two events together. The media day on Monday (FI04) was good as you don't have the crowds as such and it builds up over the week and yes it is a different event but the public days at the weekend are what the big crowds go to as they do at RIAT, based upon a joint event I feel would increase the pulling power on the public display days.
Ok I know I get in for free, yes I do get the best position but then I am working and at the end of the day I have to have something that will sell a magazine or paper or that a publisher will buy, but as I said if given the choise I don't think on this years show I would go next year.

Harrier46
20th Jul 2004, 21:55
Having now been to Farnborough today I feel even more disappointed than with RIAT. The list of missing aircraft was amazing, even noticed a spotter (in desperation?) taking the reg of a mock-up! Very few aircraft in the static, two hour flying display, hardly any British aircraft to mention (except for Westland) and a B52 pilot trying hard for a desk job! Very poor. And probably half the flying display items were out of production years ago.
Seems that many manufacturers regarded their test programmes as more important than coming to Farnborough. What does that say for the future of the show?

typhootea
25th Jul 2004, 14:53
First time post for me on the forum and would like to offer some views following on from Tristarlover's post.

Yes I would agree that we have been spoiled by previous IAT/RIATs over the years. The days of former Eastern Bloc types a plenty are possibly long gone, rising demands from the operators (fuel, hotels, cars not to mention appearance money) have killed off the non-NATO operators. New members to the alliance are possibly struggling with getting their aircraft up to compliance for operation in western airspace, indeed a recent aviation journal quoted the Czechs as having to use their older Hinds for western displays as they are the only ones with the necessary avionics fit!

Regarding the B-2 then the decision on whether the aircraft lands at Fairford is way out of RIATs sphere of influence. If ACC say fly-by then so be it! As for the UK Alpha Jets then rumour has it that as RIAT is BAE Systems sponsored (in part) then they have an influence in preventing the AJ's from Boscombe to attend...keeping sponsors sweet??

RIAT do try their best, I know they do, fact! However, operating restrictions hit hard and usually when you don't need them. The BAE Skyhawk would have been a bonus but contract restrictions at BAE in Germany and fleet availability meant a no-show as it was bringing in much needed cash for the operator. Italian F-104's, grounded at last minute with a technical issue, with the best will in the world no-one could predict that.

To close, at what other show in the UK this year would you have seen a Estonian Border Guard Let 410, French Army Porter, French AF Mirage IV, Brazilian C130, Canadian Hawk, Italian Army Do-228, Finnish display team plus all else that we now take for granted (me included)? As for Herk 50, did anyone really expect to see 50 Herks with todays climate of deployed operations and increased tensions??

Lets enjoy what we have, I know that our fellow enthusiasts in the USA/Canada would kill for what we got at Fairford this year.

Let the debate continue!!