PDA

View Full Version : CPL training - An insight

Ian_Wannabe
17th Jul 2004, 15:15
Hey there - Ive probably asked this before....

I'm on an aviation course in university, and Ive just done my first year exams only I failed quite badly on everything engineering - basically, everything maths at that level doesnt agree with me. Yet everything aviation related, i.e Met. Intro to air technology etc. I passed with no problem at all.

My basic problem is that my head for maths stops at G.C.S.E :ugh:

So I'm thinking realistically here - I definatly want to go on and fly for a living, yet i'm concerned that the level of maths will hold me back when going for the CPL.

Any information regarding the level of maths required will be a great help

Thanks

redsnail
17th Jul 2004, 15:33
GCSE maths should be good enough. (I'm from Oz so I am making a bit of a guess here).
Having done 2 ATPLs I can say that even after leaving school nearly 20 years ago I could do the maths fine (and I am not a maths person!!). If you can add/subtract/multiply/divide, do percentages and rearrange fractions then that's pretty much all you need.
Brush up on Pythagorus's triangle stuff, revise cos,tan,sine etc and get nimble with gross approximations so you can use your calculator accurately.
Doh! I don't mean pythagorus, I meant trigonometry. Sorry about that!! :D

When you're working about the only maths that really counts is being able to convert lbs to litres to kg and how to accurately fill out your allowance claim form.

What aviation course is this? A formal aeronautical degree?

skyman68
17th Jul 2004, 17:18
pythagorous?? what is that? a new animal? or a new company like astreous?

oh,I got it: pythagorous: E=mc^2(in fact it s Astein)
yeah yeah, I explain: Energy (joules)=mass (newton) time speed of light 300'000'000 m/h^2
this is what you loose in any physical change.
well, Lavoisier said "nothing is lost or created".so in this case, Einstein is an idiot.

who cares, we fly planes!!!so u see, people think you have to be good in math, and even mathematicians are in contradiction. and anyway, I dont really see the point to be good in math to fly a plane.if you know at what speed u drive ur car and when you are coming back to home, u can become a pilot.

so dont worry!

Ian_Wannabe
17th Jul 2004, 23:41
Hey thanks for that guys it gave me some form of hope :p

Red - its the first aviation degree to hit the UK at leeds university (I believe), called "Aviation Technology with pilot studies (or management studies). The thing is, i simply want to be a pilot - and the course is pilot related studies with engineering related studies... and i'm failing everything engineering (typical). Its kinda fustrating.

So its kind of hit home as to my mind being capable of carrying on towards the CPL - but from what you said, the level of maths shouldnt be a problem .

If anyone else has anything to add which could help me i'd be greatful.

Cheers

Charlie Zulu
18th Jul 2004, 00:13
Hi Ian,

I too was a little apprehensive when it came to the maths involved with the ATPL examinations.

As I am only a third of the way through the first module I'm no expert but can honestly say that you shouldn't have any problems.

So far it is basic GCSE stuff such as Trig' (so far lots of it but very well explained in the notes) and forumlas. Knowing why and how to re-arrange formulas will help somewhat when it comes to subjects such as general nav, performance etc... but not at all difficult.

Go for it...

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

BEagle
18th Jul 2004, 09:33
Surely the University assessed your mathematical level before admitting you on such a course? You wrote:"My basic problem is that my head for maths stops at G.C.S.E". Does that include having studied trigonometry and elementary calculus?

ikea
18th Jul 2004, 14:00
i know what you mean! im the same, im no good at maths, I blame my education sylibus-Pythagoras, trigonemtry and Russian Multiplication (yes!!) and tessalation were a waste atime-if we concentrated on basics to a good standard, i wouldnt be here now!

Ian_Wannabe
18th Jul 2004, 18:04
Cool - thanks for the replies everyone, its a great confidence boost.

Yeah BEagle - I thought this too, they asked for A level maths to gain entry, which I stated I didnt have but they said it will be fine as its covered in the first term. So along I went and struggled, then my personal tutor said "hey hang on a sec.... you dont have A level maths, how did you get on the course!?" .... a great confidence boost I can tell you :mad:

Oh well, thanks for this up to now guys - I know for sure that stupid little maths rules arent gonna stop me from flying some form of craft for a living!!