PDA

View Full Version : IL 76 fuel burn

bugs bunny
14th Jul 2004, 07:44
Hi there! I am trying to figure out what is the fuel burn of a IL 76 and if it can operate in Europe (RVSM - Noise - etc)
Thanks to anyone will spare a little time to answer...
Cheers,
Bugs

CargoOne
14th Jul 2004, 10:20
Fuel burn varies. Depending of payload and engine conditions. Try 9 tones per hour average for loaded sector.

Not sure regarding RVSM compliance but I think there are some approved airframes.

Europe (apart from some East European states) is no-go unless you have an examption (normally provided for military, relief, UN, special interest, outsized cargo charters).

VDA is hoping to have re-engined stage 3 IL76 operational Q1 2005 but it wouldn't be cheap.

alexmcfire
14th Jul 2004, 23:47
Maybe this could be a good read?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1857801067/qid=1089848654/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1029549-1064740?v=glance&s=books

bugs bunny
15th Jul 2004, 07:22
Thanks for your anwers, I really appreciate.
Cheers,
Bugs

AVeight
16th Jul 2004, 11:35
Morning Bugs bunny,

To answer your questions to the best of my knowledge:-

Fuel burn - Typically approx. 8 tons per hour (depending on variant & operational climate)

As for Europe (EEC) - As Cargoone says, that's a no no unless special permissions are given. They do operate from some East European countries however the majority are based in the Middle East.

Some aircraf are planned to be re-engined in the near future....however 2 points to make in regards to this:-

1) This has been the rumour for some time.
2) It's very expensive and It may not be economically viable to do so.

It's a shame because the IL76 is a beautifull aircraft and is trully a work horse in every sense of the word. Currently no equivalent on the market.

Hope this has been of help to you.

AVeight