PDA

View Full Version : Up "there"?

Echo Zulu Yankee
13th Jul 2004, 07:51
Guys,

I keep popping into this “spotters” area now and I was just wondering: Why do you, as non-pilot/flyer spotters not fly? Is it the expense? Medical? (Not intended to be an intrusive question and I’m sorry if it offends anyone) lack of the motivation? Or something else?

Please don’t get me wrong. I don’t want this post to sound like I’m trying to expose all your faults but I know that, in general, spotters are committed to aviation and think of it as a part of their lives. But if this is the case why not pop down your local flying club and take an hour in a 152 for £45?

Please feel free to totally ignore this post but I just want to find out how spotters generally feel about aviation and what makes them so committed to the industry yet not step up to the cockpit?

This is obviously not aimed at those dual hat pilot/spotters (Of which I am proudly one!)

EzY
:ok:

Kestrel_909
13th Jul 2004, 11:29
Simple - we're in debt to our eyeballs paying back that £5k loan that we got for the camera and other equipment :E
Also, not £45 for an hour in a 152 here as far as I know. Took a trip in Blackpool in one at it was £120, though split four ways it was a lot cheaper and worth the £30.

I think some are just happy watching/spotting if you like, photographing and reading about the airline industry. I even know some who are nervous flyers so a career piloting isn't an option, and I think for those who can't make into the front due medical grounds or other reasons, would only be too depressed working in the back serving tea and coffee.

Of course there is also the fact that it's slightly easier to become a spotter rather than a pilot:( Some want to be, some are, and some don't want to be, it's just when people see them I think everyone is inclined to thinking they are wannabe's when many aren't, or already are.

'yet not step up to the cockpit?'
If only it was that simple. Ok so it is for GA but not the jets
:ouch: If every spotter had the chance to become a pilot I'd guess many would jump at the chance, but not all.

Will write more later if I can think straight, food time :)

P:S I see your on the 737-700 and username is EZY, I wonder who on earth you fly for? :D

Avman
13th Jul 2004, 16:25
Some people just don't have the financial means. Many have medical conditions preventing them. And not all, for varying reasons, have the necessary abilities either. Sadly, not everybody is made of the "right stuff".

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jul 2004, 17:47
I'm still a spotter, although not so keen as I was when I was a kid!

Why didn't I fly? Well, I didn't have any inclination to be an airline pilot and had far more interesting things to spend my money on than private flying (ham radio for one!).

Seriously, I am sorry I never got a PPL. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. However, I spent 31+ years as a Heathrow Air Traffic Controller and that beats the pants out of anything to do with climbing in an aeroplane!

Jet Dragon
14th Jul 2004, 01:40
Wife, 3 kids, feckin big mortgage,:{ :{

Hay Ewe
14th Jul 2004, 02:51
I spent time in the UK in heavy maintenance and now on the other side of the world flying a desk; tech services, maintenance planning, stores, manuals, thats the start of the list

I did start learnign to fly but discovered heavy maintenance and enjoyed it more!

witchdoctor
14th Jul 2004, 10:35
Perhaps they've seen what we all really get up to when we think no-ones looking and they quite sensible stay on the other side of the fence.:}

Simtech
15th Jul 2004, 07:22
To paraphrase Groucho Marx; "I would never join a profession that would have me as a member!"

Seriously, I'm professionally employed in aviation, in a job which brings me into daily contact with pilots, involves flying (albeit the simulated kind) but have never had the urge to learn to fly. If a spotter is someone who enjoys looking at aircraft then I certainly qualify, an affliction which shows no sign of abating as I get older.

Besides, like Heathrow Director , all my spare cash is spent on ham radio gear! :ok:

Kestrel_909
15th Jul 2004, 08:06
Another one into HAM radio, though looking at you two I don't spend as much on it, more on watersports. Both bloody expensive!:{

I don't think many of us fancy doing the walk around at 6am on a winter's morning either!

"It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, rather than up there wishing you were down here''

superspotter
15th Jul 2004, 12:20
Flying all over the world to spot aircraft, listening to them on 13 different scanners and shortwave recievers, keeping the database up to date and still buying the JP airline fleets despite the database, monitoring ACARS 24/7.............when would I have time to learn to fly!!
A few years ago i did get 7.5 hours under my belt in a PA-38 at Liverpool but to be honest, I didnt really get the buzz from it that I was expecting but that could be partly down to the two instructors that took me up that were more interested in hours building than instructing :( :(

regards clive.

opsjockey
15th Jul 2004, 13:13
I work in the operations department for a uk charter airline. Flight planning, slot management, all the funky stuff to ensure that our flights get away on time (or as good as) minimal disruption to passengers/crew etc... im sure you all know the gen...! Have been fascinated by Aeroplanes since my first ever airshow (Biggin) when i was 8 (hmmm.. 20 years past) and the Vulcan was simply amazing! I have enjoyed gliding with the air training corps, went off to college to study engineering (never thought about piloting when i was young) hey, was even lucky enough to a 45 hour PPL course (C152) for my 21st Birthday.... thought about a career flying but after chats with the CAA i wasnt able to get a class 1 medical cos of my eyes so i kind of lost interest in the PPL flying too (didnt seem to be much point if i couldnt progress to the commercial side of things). So here i am in ops! Meeting pilots/cabin crew, getting involved in day to day running of things, as many fam flights as i want (the cockpit was exciting when i first started, now i prefer to sit down the back and talk to the cabin crew.... with a quick visit up front for take off/landing!!)
And i get to 'spot' as many planes as i want!! life is good!!
OJ

Kestrel_909
15th Jul 2004, 13:18
Superspotter, you really have earned your PPRUNE name well:ok:

Sounds good opsjockey, stressful? I didn't know fam flights still happened, in the UK anyway. I always love a good challenge and trying to work out the best way to make things happen with problems being thrown in, so a job in ops sounds interesting.

superspotter
15th Jul 2004, 16:53
"Superspotter, you really have earned your PPRUNE name well"

Sad I know!! But I do have a life outside spotting honest!!

Then again if I sit down and really think about how much time is spent immersed in all things spotting...........................where's me anorak!! :8

sheenboy
20th Jul 2004, 16:32
I earn far more than pilots. :p

And my job doesn't give me the time to learn.....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jul 2004, 07:50
<<I earn far more than pilots. And my job doesn't give me the time to learn.....>>

Ah Sheenboy, you sound like the husband of a neighbour of ours. Long ago his wife popped in for coffee and the conversation went:

Her: Oh, I see you're home again.
Me: Yep, done my 30-odd hours this week directing the jets over London.
Her: My husband worked 80 hours last week but, of course, he has a very good job.
Me: He hasn't got a job; he's living in Purgatory!

andyb79
25th Jul 2004, 01:21
Easy
pop down your local flying club and take an hour in a 152 for £45?

WHERE???
Up till now ive been paying £118/hr in a katana and at 52 hrs its starting to hurt my wallet:{

ps: in future will you please keep those flying orange web addresses away from my house! They disturb my sleep;)