PDA

View Full Version : Flight school in the lower mainland

YVRKid
13th Jul 2004, 07:33
Hello. Im 15 and really wanna be a pilot. Ive started saving for my PPL already and I'm looking for a place to fly. So far Pro IFR looks to be really good, anyone have any pros/cons about them, or any other school in the Lower Mainland

Left Coaster
13th Jul 2004, 10:39
Having known John Mongtomery and watched his ops over the years I think it's a good place to start. Even John would say though to shop around, you're about to spend a bunch of cash. Have fun and good luck

510orbust
22nd Jul 2004, 08:13
I agree either John M at Pro or Ron H. at Canadian IFR (Canadian Flt. Centre) at boundary bay...I know both of them and they both do a very good job..

heavyg
22nd Jul 2004, 23:56
My advise is to go out to the airport and wander through different flight schools. Before you go though, have a list of questions you want answered...number of aircraft, number of instructors, when private pilot ground schools are offered, etc. Once you have found a school you like, schedule an introductory flight with a flight instructor. If you like the school and the instructor, it's probably a good fit. If not, keep looking!

Midnight Sun
25th Jul 2004, 02:15
From my experience is that its the instructor that makes the school not the other way around. Look for an instructor and dont be dazled by the bull**** and glitter that you will be hammered with. What alot of new pilots dont realize is that many instructors are very GREEN and they are building hours by instructing so they dont have to instruct anymore. This somethimes leads to a few extra flights at your expense due to inexperience and hunger for hours/money. What i would look for is a career instructor, i know of 2 at pro, one was my instructor 5 years ago when she was at pfc. Another positive note about career instuctors, they have been teaching a long time, and like any other professional with experience they have skills to get the job finished in an efficient way, in other words your not paying for them to learn how to teach/fly. (PFC by the way should be avoided like the plauge in my opinion due to a very greedy manager). The other school at zbb that should be avoided is reggency, go to avcanada and do a search if you require more info.

510orbust
25th Jul 2004, 09:16
Midnight, sorry man I dont agree with you.

First off, the way training is in Canada these days there is no need to get a few extra hours from someone when there are another 10 students signing up for flight training. Second of all, I do agree the instuctors are a big part of the experience but from mine, and being an ex boundary instuctor for a few years if you want to continue on with the training you want a school that can do that. ie (simulator) (multi engine a/c). The reputable schools at boundary have those.