PDA

View Full Version : property purchase in HK

Mick Jagger
12th Jul 2004, 17:11
Im thinking of moving to KA and am doing my sums. Can anyone tell me what kind of property a 1st yr capt can afford to purchase in HK. Where are the best areas (where do other pilots tend to live). KA give an accomodation allowance is this taxed and what sort of property will it buy?
Any info on costs and benefits of working for KA in Hong Kong much appreciated.

info on schooling costs and property purchase especially any good links.

Thanks a million

millerscourt
13th Jul 2004, 05:41
Mick Jagger

A week or so ago you were asking about a move from EK to SQ on the B777as a DEC. I guess from the replies you got you have realised that would not be a good move.

Are you sure you are not cutting off your nose to spite your face by leaving EK??

All in all I doubt whether the grass is any greener in any other Airline or Country,believe me I have looked!!

The route structure in KA is not much fun I believe. Are there DEC,s in KA???? I always thought it was like EK used to be and that you had to join as a F/O??

Dan Winterland
13th Jul 2004, 08:25
There were a handful of DECs in KA at the start of the 747 operation. All join as FOs now.

millerscourt
14th Jul 2004, 04:54
Dan

Ah yes I was forgetting about the cargo side of KA.

Mick Jagger Surely you are not considering joining as a F/O?? Are things really that bad in EK?? Presumably you are already Airbus rated as well as B777?

If you are going for the mainline as against cargo then you will spend your life flying in and out of mainline China which is not a lot of fun. I have only flown into Beijing which is OK but I can imagine some of the places that KA go to must be exciting!!

Mick Jagger
14th Jul 2004, 07:15
I am looking to leave EK and don't want to be drawn into an EK slagging match. No job is perfect and there are many very good things about EK. Sadly the EK management have convinced themselves that we are in Dubai for the sun and pay us accordingly. I am looking for a grown up's job..fairs days work for a fair days pay.

Guys if you wnat nice routes on superb aircraft, nice food and accomodation etc then come to dubai and enjoy the lifestyle BUT bring lots of money!!!

Mick

GMEDX
14th Jul 2004, 11:39
Mick, for schools Google for esf, english scools foundation.
Property centaline agents.
Education, travel and housing all taxable now (16%) but shedloads more than EK.
How long have Bangkok, Tokyo, Sidney, Manila been in China?

millerscourt
14th Jul 2004, 11:43
Mick

"Come to Dubai and bring lots of money"" That is the message I am trying to get across to anyone considering joining SQ!!

I would suggest you have to bring far more money to Singapore than to Dubai as you have to live on a reduced salary for up to 5 Months until you are checked out on the line and even if you come type rated it takes just as long. Also you have to put up huge sums as deposit for school fees and rent and the Singapore Dollar has dissolved in value far worse than the UAE Dhiram and of course there is tax to pay in Singapore. Still you know all that I realise hence your new found interest in KA. Best of luck.

Several F/O's from SQ on the A340 have joined KA and are now Captains, something they would have found difficult to achieve being ex-pats in SQ

Mick Jagger
14th Jul 2004, 15:55
Millercourt

It is one of the benefits of this forum that good and pertinent information regarding the malpractice and poor conditions that form the culture of many airlines is being brought to the forefront. It is as a direct result of the information gathered on this forum that I have chosen to withdraw my application to SQ.

I would suggest however, that some participants are in danger of diluting this valuable asset by usurping threads and turning them into a platform from which to pursue personal grievences. When a request for information is made then respondants should limit there responce to providing same.

Keep the rhetoric and politics to other, broader based threads,

Just a thought after discussion with Jerry

millerscourt
15th Jul 2004, 06:10
Mick

Yes I get the point but I just wanted those on this forum to know that you had asked the same questions about SQ that you are now asking about KA and it seemed appropriate to add a few lines about SQ as well!!

PS Did you really have to worry Jerry with such a trivial matter :confused:

PPS Not a personal grievance but facts otherwise why would you not continue with your application to SQ?

BlueEagle
15th Jul 2004, 09:45
Well, I think this one has been done to death and we are now moving into the personal arena.

The personal arena can best be dealt with via the BB private Mail system or via email, so, would be grateful if you two would now continue thus. Many thanks.

Regards,

BlueEagle - Moderator.