PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a load master??

gottachg
12th Jul 2004, 11:10
Hello,

Do any of you know how I can go about finding information on becoming a load master??

How do people get recruited into these positions, what qualifications are required, which companies in Europe are best to contact for advice?

Also, if there are any load masters out there, any opinions/job descriptions would be great!

Thanks

Atlanta-Driver
13th Jul 2004, 16:38
Air Atlanta carries loadmasters on quite many flights and has loadies based around the network. I have seen MK-airlines, DAS Air, African International and various other carriers using loadies. There's a start.

AD

Aussie
14th Jul 2004, 04:24
Best way to become a LOADMASTER is to join the defence forces...however, im curious weather any cargo airlines actually have Loadmasters...

Aussie

Flip Flop Flyer
14th Jul 2004, 12:45
Yes they do, quite a lot of them actually. Getting your foot in is very, very difficult if you are not properly connected or plain lucky.

One route is to start on the ramp as a loader, then work your way to load controller. With loads of experience, you can then start firing off applications. A couple of years on the ramp and ditto in load control would probably be min. required.

Then comes the difficult bit, getting a foothold with an airline that does indeed employ loadies. I guess here is a classic case of "it's who you know that counts". As long as we fly to dodgy places and carry odd-siezed loads, there will always be a requirement for loadmasters.

The airforce route is another option.

ACHEDGES
16th Jul 2004, 15:33
I was a Cargo / Passenger Dispatcher at a large international airline for 15 years. Cargo: just B707 and B747. Passenger: TRI; B747 (+combi); B777; B767; B757; B737 well - all the B's actually....... and the Concorde. (Doh - just gave the game away).

Went through the "grouind-up" method but started at Reservations instead of Loading. My experience was that loaders rarely become planners / Dispatchers. Load planning was fun but that was before fully computerised stuff and ACARS etc. created greater productivity, but with a lower enjoyment factor. Dispatching was the best job.

Flew as loadmaster a few times but that was on exceptional special flights. Anyway. Enough about you - let's talk about me...

Recommendation: Get a job with an airline and then network like mad.