PDA

View Full Version : Emirates

ozzieb88
11th Jul 2004, 20:09
Hi people.

Im starting my PPL next week, and ive always wanted to become a airline pilot.

Just wondering do Emirates offer sponsorship?

Another question thats been bugging me, say i pass at Oxford or Jerez, get a frozen ATPL, and i go looking for work. Most airlines want a minimum flying hours, and a type rating, how am i suppose to get that when no airlines are willing to offer me a job?

Or am i wrong, do airlines offer placments for new FO's just come out of flight school?

The plane i really want to fly when im older is the boeing 777, but by the time im a qualified pilot, the Airbus A380 will be coming into service. For these aircraft, will i have to have thousands of hours under my belt? Or once out of flight school, i get the type rating for the B777 or A380, can i go straight into the flying or is this not possible?

Please bear in mind i am 16 and all this information will help me in my career choice as a airline pilot.

Thank you.

KKM
11th Jul 2004, 21:54
Best of luck with it all. I recently finished my training in Jerez and from my experience approx half have jobs maybe more. Most have gone onto A320 or turboprops. None have done a self sponsered type rating therefore this suggests that airlines will certainly look at you with low hours.

It is very unlikely that you will fly 777 or A380 at the start of your career, its usually the turbo props or short haul jets.

I would suggest having a look at sponsorship with the likes of easyjet at CTC and Britannia which usually send cadets to Jerez. However in a couple of years time i'm sure a lot would have changed and many other airlines will be sponsoring.

Emirates usually only take UAE nationals for their scheme.

Hope this helps

ozzieb88
12th Jul 2004, 08:02
hi,

Yeah it does thanks.

so this CTC scheme, once completed is their a FO job waiting for me in one of these airlines or is it just like self sponsored training. Do airlines come and ask for new graduates from schools like Jerez and Oxford? Or do we have to go job hunting?

So i guess i aint eligible for the Emirates scheme! :(

oxide
12th Jul 2004, 10:47
Most of the pilot sponsorship schemes around the world from different airlines requires you to atleast be able to reside without restriction in the country of that airline or mostly be a citizen of that country.

But you're in the UK mate, you have lots and lots of chances at a sponsorship scheme. Lighten up, there are some like me who have absolutely no chance at any sponsorship, and after paying for the entire training to get into an airline the chances of that happening are slim too ... so .. pick yourself up and put a smile on yor face :}

ox!de :ok:

Mister Geezer
14th Jul 2004, 08:24
Emirates will only take GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) nationals. In otherwords if you come from one of the Gulf states then you would be able to apply. Emirates has a large proportion of ex-pat pilots from round the world so their sponsorship scheme is their way of getting native flightdeck crew to try and even the balance. Gulf Air are in exactly the same situation and possibly Qatar Airways as well. Etihad from Abu Dhabi will no doubt follow suit with a similar sponsorship scheme as well as they continue to expand.

However Emirates is one of the very few airlines that is very profitable as well as having a very full order book. Their need for experienced pilots will continue for many years. You will normally need medium-heavy jet experience to get into Emirates with a few thousand of hours. It has to be one of the if not the best company out there at the moment. There is no harm in having a goal to aspire to!