PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating/ Twin rating Instructor Qualification

realsimulation
27th Sep 2001, 21:25
Help required. I'd like to upgrade my FI qualification to be able to teach
1. Twin ratings and
2. IMC rating

Anyone know of the requirments and course details?

:cool:

FatFlyer
27th Sep 2001, 22:38
To teach IMC it's a 6 hour course with an FIC instructor followed by a test, you used to need a minimum number of instructional hours or hold an IR to do it though it might have changed.

For the multi, I think it's a 6 hour course and test as well, you need ( I think) 30 hours PIC on type of which 10 in the last year.

juggernaut
28th Sep 2001, 04:21
Actually the IMC instructors course is only 5 hours, run by an FIC instructor, though to cover the syllabus it may take more than this, also there are 35 hours of ground school,you must have 50 hours i.f., the jar section 11 does not make it very clear as it states 200 hours, however an A.I.C.amended this last year, hope this is of interest.

Ivan Ivanovich
29th Sep 2001, 17:56
Yes it's a 5 hour course but the 200 hours IFR flying bit applies only if you are going to train students for the IR. I'm not aware of any minimum for teaching IMC. You can add it to your FI rating simply by doing the 5 hour course.

As for teaching multi, it's now 70 hours not 30 - courtesy of JAR.

rolling circle
30th Sep 2001, 01:39
The JAR Section 11 has nothing whatsoever to do with the IMC rating, which is a UK national rating and, therefore, not subject to JAR.

The requirements for multi are 500 hours total time, 30 hours PIC in the applicable type or class of which 10 must have been in the 12 months prior to application. Where Ivan got 70 hours from, I don't know - certainly not from JAR-FCL 1.380.

The course is a minimum of 5 hours instruction on the aeroplane or flight simulator plus the Skill Test with a FIE. Mind you, there aren't many MEP flight simulators around so that's not really an option.