PDA

View Full Version : Unrestricted FI How long before renewal due?

RVR800
17th Dec 2001, 14:15
I have an FI (Unrestricted) rating

The last renewal was done in Dec 99
When does it expire?

Is it 25 months therefore Jan 02?

Whats all this 36 month malarky?

Newguy
17th Dec 2001, 15:54
Your Instructor rating is valid for 3 years from the date that it last expired. You can renew the rating by meeting any two of the following criteria.
1) 100 hours of instruction in the last 3 years (30 in the last 12 months)

2) Attend a Flight Instructor seminar

3) Flight test with an FI Examiner

Not surprisingly I think the first two are the most popular. The seminar's are a bit pricey and depending where you live you could have a lot of travelling to do so the flight test may be the better option.

This applies if you have a JAA rating. It may be differant for a CAA FI 17 December 2001: Message edited by: Buster Gonad ]

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: Buster Gonad ]

RVR800
17th Dec 2001, 17:52
Buster, I think I have CAA AFI priviledges and a JAA FI (unresticted) so I guess its 36 months.

I initially thought that this was unfeasibly large time period.

Thanks for your input.

DB6
17th Dec 2001, 23:12
RVR800, as your last renewal was done under CAA rules before 1 Jan 2000 I have a strong suspicion that you are still subject to the 2 year validity period. Your first renewal under JAR will give you 3 years' validity but if I remember correctly that didn't come in until 1 Jan 2000. I was in a similar situation and a call to the CAA confirmed things.

The Flying I
17th Dec 2001, 23:54
I'm sure DB6 is correct that an old 'QFI' (yes, I know, some don't like that term) who last passed a test in Dec 99 would only have an old 25 month life.
However, I'm confused by the rvr800 statement:
"I think I have CAA AFI priviledges and a JAA FI (unresticted)".
Obviously RVR800 is confused, but assuming this means that RVR800 was an AFi in Dec 99, doesn't it matter when he/she was 'upgraded' to UNrestricted? Surely if RVR800 was still restricted a year later, and 'promoted' only recently, didn't the instructor privileges actually expire after a year under the old AFI validity period, and in fact rvr800 hasn't been an instructor all year??

Noggin
18th Dec 2001, 01:34
RV800 What exactly have you got on your licence? you cannot have AFI privileges and be a FI (Unrestrictd)

Presumably you were issued with, or renewed an AFI rating in Dec 99. Have you upgraded it with 100 hours Instruction plus 25 supervised solo sorties? if you have, then you have a FI rating, if not it could be either AFI or FI(R)

All ratings issued prior to 1 Jan 2000 are on the old 2 year system (25 months) so you must revalidate before the expiry date by two out of the three requirements. If you let it go past the expiry date you will have to do a Test and attend a Seminar to Renew. If you have got the hours, do a test ASAP, it will be revalidated from the expiry date so you don't lose anything.

Lima Xray
18th Dec 2001, 01:37
I am in the same position as RVR800 but an FI

If we are still under the ‘old’ system does that then mean we ‘only’ have to do a flight test with an approved examiner by the end of January 2002. If so would we then be signed off for and under the JAR rules….. ? i.e. 36 months etc or only for 24?. Or, will the test be under the new JAR, by which we then have to do two out of the three options as listed above by Buster Gonad. The answers to all this confusion who knows them?
Who said call the CAA (I only have one month to find out
:confused:

Lima Xray
18th Dec 2001, 02:01
Tks NOGGIN you beat me to my posting.

Having done zero hours instructing since the last renewal I have to do the flight test and a siminar, correct? Then if I let expire, say a halve year, I would have to do no more then what I already have to do now! Is this assumption correct. So there is, in my case no rush to beat the 25-month deadline……right?
:confused:

The Flying I
18th Dec 2001, 03:21
Lima X-ray - if you did your last test anytime up to Dec 31st 1999, you had the 'old life' term but revalidate or renew the new way when that term is ending. The new way is if you revalidate before expiry you have the 'pick 2 from 3' from the instructional hours, conference, or test. If you let it expire, you must take the conference AND test.
But, Noggin talks about the old way being 2 years (25 months) - my point was that for an AFI, surely it was only a year term from Dec 99. I'd say RVR expired in Dec 2000 UNLESS sometime in 2000 RVR800 did those 'upgrade' hours AND got the supervising instructor to process the upgrade paperwork, in which case RVR800 expires in Jan 2002.
So the key is (as Noggin asks) what is on the rating but also if there was an upgrade, when was it done?

DB6
18th Dec 2001, 04:17
This information is actually available on the CAA's website but I have just spent the last 30 mins or so waiting for the poxy pages to load (incredibly slow) so I got pissed off and gave up. There was a period before 1 Jan 2000 when, in order to align the renewal criteria, periodicity etc. all instructor ratings (whether restricted or not) were issued with 25 month validity. Now all renewals and issues are done using JAR criteria and validity periods.
If you can stand the waiting have a look on the CAA website for General Information Documents at www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk)

BEagle
18th Dec 2001, 12:20
Don't forget that, to instruct for a JAR/FCL licence, that you will also need to have completed the 'knowledge assimilation' requirements of the AIC as well as met revalidation or renewal requirements.......

RVR800
18th Dec 2001, 13:07
OK

Just to clarify I hold the unresticted
FI which I was issued with at the same
time as the AFI renewal as I met all the above criteria. Sent my stuff off to the
CAA and I was issued with the FI (Unrestricted) The test was done in
Dec 99 and I believe it has a 25 month validity

The bit about the AFI relates to legacy
privileges It says on the ratings page
Flying Instructor and Assistant Flying Instructor! But my sign-off sheet is an FI
(Unresticted)

As for the renewal interval I suspect it
is 25 months and not 36 months - I will contact the CAA to be sure.

I cant quite see the logic behind all
this..

The test is the same..?

Thanks for the advice guys...

Lima Xray
18th Dec 2001, 21:39
Seminars FI;-
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf

JAR-FCL 1 FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR RENEWAL SEMINAR:
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
The Examiner Training Agency
On-Track PPL Ground Studies Ltd

Aircraft Owner’s and Pilot’s Association
50A Cambridge Street
LONDON SWIV 4QQ
Tel: 0207 834 5631
Fax: 0207 834 8623
E-mail: [email protected]

The Examiner Training Agency
Building 420
Chapel Gate Entrance
Northwest Park
Bournemouth International Airport
CHRISTCHURCH BH23 4NW
Tel: 01202 572953
Fax: 01202 594417

On-Track Aviation
56 Garner Close
CARTERTON
Oxon OX18 1GA
Tel / Fax: 01993 841791
website: www.ontrack-ppl-groundstudies.com (http://www.ontrack-ppl-groundstudies.com)

Noggin
19th Dec 2001, 01:40
RV800 Got it in one, no hours instructing, you need Seminar plus Test either way. It caught a lot of people out because examiner ratings were extended to 3 years from 1999, the FI ratings did not change until 1 Jan 2000 when all ratings had to be revalidated or renewed in accordance with JAR-FCL.

RVR800
21st Dec 2001, 15:19
Its 25 m for me - as you all suspected
Then 36 m after renewal