PDA

View Full Version : Little chance of escaping to the airlines now...

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Sep 2001, 23:15
Looks like the whole recruitment for the airlines is up the Swanny for the forseeable future.

There will be undoubtably be instructors out there gutted at this. I would have been 8 months ago.

Want to cry on my shoulder here?

FI
19th Sep 2001, 02:47
Yes it is really bad and maybe I've another year or two in the circuit.

But, so what, just think about the poor people in the US and the airline guys who are going to be out of work. I get paid pennies but I have low out goings, the airline pilots with large out goings must be feeling very depressed. My heart goes out to them.

Could be worse, could be working in an office, a shop ......

Chin up!

Kermit 180
19th Sep 2001, 10:42
Just as well I enjoy flying light aircraft. The industry has been better. The demise of airlines worldwide will eventually filter down into GA, the demand for flight training will decrease. At least those who choose the instructing option now will no doubt be more keen on developing an instructing career rather than simply hour building for a non-existsent airline job a few years down the track.

Oh well, theres always the option of operating from goat tracks in a C185 delivering and picking up hunters in remote parts of the wilderness. Hey, that doesnt sound so bad! :D

Enjoy yourselves, be thankful youre not working in some shoddy office block with a concrete wall for a view!

Kermie

Luke SkyToddler
19th Sep 2001, 11:16
Bah humbug. There's gonna be jobs ... just got to look a bit harder and travel a bit further for them perhaps. And worst case scenario, I end up with another 1000 hours Cessna time, it still beats working for a living right?

Hey Kermie you know anyone looking for a C185 goat track jockey? :D

Say again s l o w l y
19th Sep 2001, 11:20
Well if all the posturing from the politcians carries on, there may be a few jobs in the military soon. Build up for something big and frightening, looks like it!?!?

I wouldn't mind flying a fast jet, just as long as noone is shooting at me.

GulfStreamV
20th Sep 2001, 02:25
SayAgainSlowly,

On a serious note, do you think that if we did go to war (God Forbid!) do you think PPL's would be called up for flight duties?

GV

clear prop!!!
20th Sep 2001, 02:29
Not a chance!

How many aircraft do you think the RAF have got these days!!?

FI
21st Sep 2001, 02:59
War??? I did some time in the Army, I'm checking my combats 'cause it's going to kick off if the US is not VERY careful.

chicken6
21st Sep 2001, 12:58
sayagainslowly

Unfortunately we (in NZ) don't have much of an airforce any more, and the fast jets are going to be decomissioned so if we want to fly anything fast we have to reset our scales, so now a Tomahawk is fast compared to a car and a Seneca is really fast.

Oh and our National airline is on the ropes (but I reckon it'll pull through) and the secondary big airline just went under.

But it's great to be a Kiwi.

South Canterbury Aero Club wants a C cat out of supervision if anyone's interested.

Sorry I sound a bit depressed at the moment. I just discovered how hard it is to break into my car to get my keys out (they're still there). :(

Centaurus
21st Sep 2001, 15:53
Certainly interesting times ahead. Ansett Airlines in Australia has gone under leaving 700 plus highly experienced pilots looking for a job. Is there any fast tracking available for some of these veterans with mega thousands of hours to get a grade one instructors rating in Australia, rather than start off as a junior grade three?

Kermit 180
25th Sep 2001, 04:35
Im currently out of work after the school I was working in collapsed recently. It seems that theres very little out there at the moment, things have just become worse thanks mainly to airline problems. As for picking up hunters in the bush, I just remembered I hate the sight of blood, so maybe that aint such a good plan. Not a good sight when the pilot has to chuck up! :D

Kermie