PDA

View Full Version : NAV Lights In U.S Airspace?

wilco77
10th Jul 2004, 01:00
Hello..
Could anybody please show me the regulations regarding the use of Navigation Lights in U.S airspace for airline operations (FAR 129)..

Thanks Alot
Cheers
Wilco77

A-V-8R
13th Jul 2004, 02:31
Here in the US they are called Position Lights in the FAR's...

I cannot find what you want in Part 129, but for Part 121:

No person may operate an airplane at night unless it is equipped with the following instruments and equipment in addition to those required by Sec. Sec. 121.305 through 121.321:
(a) position lights.
(b) An anti-collision light.
(c) Two landing lights, except that only one landing light is required for nontransport category airplanes type certificated after December 31, 1964.
(d) Instrument lights providing enough light to make each required instrument, switch, or similar instrument, easily readable and installed so that the direct rays are shielded from the flight crewmembers' eyes and that no objectionable reflections are visible to them. There must be a means of controlling the intensity of illumination unless it is shown that nondimming instrument lights are satisfactory.
(e) An airspeed-indicating system with heated pitot tube or equivalent means for preventing malfunctioning due to icing.
(f) A sensitive altimeter.

[Doc. No. 6258, 29 FR 19205, Dec. 31, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 121-251, 60 FR 65932, Dec. 20, 1995]

Effective Date Note: At 66 FR 19043, Apr. 12, 2001, Sec. 121.323 was amended by revising the introductory text, effective May 12, 2004. For the convenience of the user, the revised text follows:

Sec. 121.323 Instruments and equipment for operations at night.

No person may operate an airplane at night under this part unless it is equipped with the following instruments and equipment in addition to those required by Sec. Sec. 121.305 through 121.321 and 121.803:

There are references to the same thing in other Parts of the FAR's.....

Section 91.209: Aircraft lights.

No person may:
(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise (or, in Alaska, during the period a prominent unlighted object cannot be seen from a distance of 3 statute miles or the sun is more than 6 degrees below the horizon)--
(1) Operate an aircraft unless it has lighted position lights;
(2) Park or move an aircraft in, or in dangerous proximity to, a night flight operations area of an airport unless the aircraft--
(i) Is clearly illuminated;
(ii) Has lighted position lights; or
(iii) is in an area that is marked by obstruction lights;
(3) Anchor an aircraft unless the aircraft--
(i) Has lighted anchor lights; or
(ii) Is in an area where anchor lights are not required on vessels; or
(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off.

Hope this helps....

GlueBall
15th Jul 2004, 13:19
ON at night mandatory. That's it!