PDA

View Full Version : i'm interseted in helping at any flying clubs near me

chris reynolds
9th Jul 2004, 20:40
hello,
I very much want to be an RAF pilot, and would like to be one as soon as I can. I'm 15 and have started my GCSE's. I haven't got any flying experience at the moment which is something I want to change.
I live near Totnes in Devon and would be interested in helping out at any flying or gliding clubs, within about an hours drive from there.
I would wash the planes or anything like that for the occasional flight or brief training session.
Could you please reply if you have anything like that you could kindly offer me.
Thank you.

flapsnslats
10th Jul 2004, 01:05
You need to go and speak to the people at your local flying clubs.
You need to buy air pilot flying training manual volume one by trevor thom.You need to get your self in contact with some raf pilots too.learn about the aircraft they train new pilots in.Learn about what they expect from a student pilot.Keep focused and the world is your oyster.Best of look with school,and if your studying physics your literally flying because flying theory is full of it.A lot of the principles will carry over.

witchdoctor
10th Jul 2004, 14:51
Depending how badly you want to wear a silly uniform and do lots of pointless marching about whilst being talked down to by spotty nerds on a power trip, you might consider the ATC.

However, I would more heartily recommend spending your time in more productive outdoor pursuits, work hard on your fitness and plan on getting to Uni and joining the University Air Squadron.

Any aviation experience you can get might be a bonus (most clubs I am sure would be happy to accept your help - try asking around in the Private Flying forum if you haven't already), but remember the RAF are looking for a true commitment to the forces, and if your ambitions lie in the civil sector you are likely to be unsuccessful.

Best of luck though. Either way its a fabulous career. ;)

jonathang
10th Jul 2004, 15:25
Second Witchdoctor, Join the ATC.

Speak to the RAF career's office they don't bite. I know your only 15 but honestly they will guide you in the correct direction. Also seen as impressive in the RAF's eyes at 15 your responsible enough to start planning your own future.

Then go to University and Join the University Air Squadron it's the best route into the RAF as a pilot. Give's you a taste of what it's like and allows you to start the Elementary Training while at University. My advice here is Pick an easy degree that you will enjoy and doesn't take 9am - 5pm. Aero Engineering will clash with UAS.

Make sure you know WHY? your joining and it's the right choice for yourself.

You have to be 100% commited.

Message me if you need anything else.

Good Luck,

Jonathan

Bail out
12th Jul 2004, 17:07
Chris - Being from North Devon I did my basic training (PPL) out of Exter with Exeter Flying Club, and some of my hour building.

Try and speak to them, the EFC team are very very friendly and you'll be well looked after. Paul Little is the guy you need to speak to he's the CFI.

If you want any other advice IM me...

all the best and like prev. mentioned stayed focussed its alot of hard work.

ozzieb88
12th Jul 2004, 22:48
hi,

Im 16, roughly in same boat as you are, i was in the ATC, fun but more military side of things rather than flying. Our ATC squadron had a plane privatley funded, so we got more flight hours! but then i moved up north and joined another squadron and didnt have much flying. It was fun though, but not suitable for me because i want to be a commercial pilot.

I joined at 13 and left the ATC at 15 at the rank of Sergeant (proud of that!):D I really do recommend this to you, becuase you get to go to RAF bases, live life a little like the RAF men and women do and it trains you just like your in the RAF! You'll experiance a little RAF life and if you like it go for it!

Im starting my PPL next week! cant wait, but im doing it off my own back, i have to work mon-fri evening for 4 hours so i can fly once a week! i want my PPL on my 17th B'day next july! Ambition!

Neways best of luck, hope this helps

If you want some more info just PM me.