PDA

View Full Version : becoming a pilot

chris reynolds
9th Jul 2004, 20:06
hello,
I'm 15 and extremely interested in becoming a pilot in the RAF, i've just started my GSCE's and i've also started the duke of edinborough award. I would like to know any advice that could help me become a pilot and anything i could do that would help me get into the RAF.
Thank you.

Vee One...Rotate
9th Jul 2004, 21:27
Hi Chris,

You're best bet is a thorough look through the Military forums as well as the Professional Studies forum (although this is more about commercial flying). Also, run a search. You'll probaby get a lot more responses by posting this in the military forum.

I think the main ways into the RAF as a pilot are: get good levels (maths and physics are especially well regarded I think) and apply (speak to someone in the Armed Forces Careers Office before starting them)...or get good A levels and go to university (where you could apply to join a University Air Squadron) and go in from there - you might be lucky enough to get RAF sponsorship either way...if you're what they're after! I get the impression that the competition's fierce though! With a degre, you'll always havea backup if things don't go to plan as well...if you do go this way, make sure you choose something you think you can enjoy for 3 years as well as thinking about a subject which may make you more attractive to the RAF (to be an engineering officer, you'll need a science or engineeering degree I think). I know this might be looking a little tooo far ahead...!

In general, I'd say do well at school/uni with a leaning for the more technical subjects (esp. maths, physics or science in general) - but do well in the core things as well like English etc. Also, if you're not already, get involved in team sports/activities and try to obtain positions of responsibility e.g. team captain, prefect (or similar). Remember you're applying to be an officer in the RAF foremost, pilot second so you'll need to demonstrate leadership, communication/social skills etc.

Hope this helps! Just my 2 pence - to qualify it, I've just graduated university and am about to start PPL training before hopefully going down the commercial flying route and have friends who are applying to the forces and/or have experience in a University Air Squadron.

Best of luck,

V1R :ok: