PDA

View Full Version : ground studying ppl

fhajebah
9th Jul 2004, 14:18
hello
im 15 and have been saving up for my ppl and with little money i have been told to do my ground studies before so when the time comes round when i have my tests i will know it all but everywhere i look for books for ground studies are incredibly expensive to get them all i would like to know the best way to do it in your opinions.
my options i think are:
... wait until i get do my ppl and get the equiptment given to me in a deal
...or spend lots of money getting the ppl equiptment now and start building up my money again

i am in a major problem because i want to get my ppl by my 17th birthday

so any info, opinions or directions would be very helpful

thank you very much
:D

LUKESTER
9th Jul 2004, 14:41
Hi fhajebah

I have purchased book's (Trevor Thom) from Tesco's which were about 20 pounds each and there are 7, I think! You can pick up bargains on ebay and Amazon do offer new and 2nd hand books over their internet ordering system.

Just to give you an idea - I have started reading these books, even though I haven't started ground school as I was told the more familiar you are with the material when you begin the course, the easier it is.......... we'll see!

Best of luck mate....

:ok:

c-bert
9th Jul 2004, 15:07
Ebay is you best bet and it just so happens that I have some to sell.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5506062722&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

tiram
9th Jul 2004, 19:05
Are you planning on doing your atpl's soon after your ppl? If you are i would suggest that you get the ppl confuser learn the questions pass the exams, jump through the hoops, get your ppl and then start learning in your atpl's. If you want to do the ppl and be a "flying for fun" pilot trevor thom is the way to go, or maybe the oxford cds?

spitfire747
9th Jul 2004, 23:25
Tiram

It is not a good idea to "learn the questions from the confuser"

to be a good pilot and to fly safely you need to know and understand what flying is about.

By learning the PPL theory, it will set you in a great position to study for the ATPLs

fhajebah
10th Jul 2004, 07:54
thanks all for all the entrys that you guys have put in

so the overall opinion is to buy the books first [or cd's] so then i have a head start for when it comes round but then i will have to start building my money up again
oh well ill get it somehow
:(

thanks for your opinions and for the ebay entrys i have looked and maybe getting some anyway thanks for everything
:ok: :D

mazzy1026
11th Jul 2004, 09:53
I bought this starter pack from AFE:

AFE PPL Starter Kit (http://www.afeonline.com/afeshop/enter.html) (click on the study packages link down the left - then look for the PPL starter package).

This has everything you need and more - like the VFR flight guide, all the trianing books, plotter, ruler etc. It doesnt have the confuser though which is a must.

Best of luck

Maz

PFD
12th Jul 2004, 08:09
It is not a good idea to "learn the questions from the confuser"

I couldn't agree more with Spitfire. Learn the subjects if you want to be a professional pilot, and there's no reason why that shouldn't include PPL's.

If you're unprofessional in your car, you hit a tree, call the AA and buy a new car, in an aircraft you will be lucky to survive at all.

As someone else said "I didn't know how to stall" which may also mean "I couldn't identify pre-stall buffet".

Please take the time and effort to learn your stuff, and the best of luck with your PPL.