PDA

View Full Version : Route to FI rating

g-oose
10th Sep 2001, 21:09
Having read thru the NPPL FI thread my gut feel, rightly or wrongly, is that it will be a long wait before this comes to pass, if at all. I'm on the verge therefore of signing up for modular ATPL groundschool. My objective is to be able to instruct at ppl level and be paid, however pitifully, to do so. Before I commit, can anyone see any flaws in the following reasoning...?

I can complete the ATPL theoretical studies using the modular route at a cost of less than £2000 via such places as Bristol Groundschool, Atlantic Flight Training etc.

From the time of first exam sitting I have 18 months to pass all exams. I can therefore time the first exam sitting so that I know I can commit both financially and time wise to the remainder of the course, exam fees etc.

Assuming that I succeed, the passes are valid for life. Other than the inevitable and irrevocable expiry of the medical there is no clock ticking that demands I complete any of the below within a certain timeframe.

I do not have to take the CPL skills test, or the IR in order to achieve my objective.

The next step would be to take the FIC when time and finances permit.

Assuming I get through FIC, I am then qualified to take a paid job as a ppl instructor.

Having passed the ATPL exams and as far as the current regulations stand I will also have the option at any date in the future of taking the CPL skills test and the IR if so desired. (If I'm to be forced into ATPL I may as well regard it positively as an opportunity to open up the possibilities of aerial work, bush flying, flying caravans etc).

I currently have CAA PPL, c.250 hours, IMC, & night. I have a class one medical which lapsed early this year (I understand that I can renew with a trip to the local AME anytime up to 5 years after lapsing).

What am I missing here?

Edited cos didn't spot another thread on a slightly different issue with a similar title.

[ 10 September 2001: Message edited by: g-oose ]

dah dah
10th Sep 2001, 22:39
g-oose,

I think you'll find that you do have to complete the CPL flight training and skill test before you can be paid for flight instruction. :(

clear prop!!!
11th Sep 2001, 01:51
Wrong on a number of counts I’m afraid.

You have to pass your CPL skills test and IR within 36 months of your final ATPL pass.

You cannot earn as an instructor without a CPL.

The clock is ticks…Very loudly!!!
:eek:

g-oose
11th Sep 2001, 07:53
I remember now. I can take the FIC with only a pass in CPL theory, but need the skills test in order to be a paid instructor.

What's the implication of not doing the IR? Does the ATPL then lapse entirely or does it become a CPL?

"Farce" is a term that springs to mind right now. :rolleyes: