PDA

View Full Version : Hovercraft

Dunno
9th Jul 2004, 08:01
As hovercraft are, strickly speaking, flying machines hopefully someone here might be able to help with a question.

What happenned to the Hoverspeed machines when the went out of service a few years ago? I did hear one of them was due to go to a museum.

No comment
9th Jul 2004, 10:26
http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/museum.html

The museum have both the ex-channel hovercraft. Theres an interesting aerial photo on the website above! wondering just how they parked them up.

Dunno
9th Jul 2004, 12:41
Thanks.

I had a feeling they had gone to the far east!

BEagle
10th Jul 2004, 07:25
It was always fun watching the hovercraft manoeuvring in Dover harbour when I used to wait for the Dover-Oostende SeaCat.

But the Tunnel forced all carriers to try to compete for Dover-Calais passengers; the hovercraft were taken out of service, the SeaCats stopped running to Oostende - and I no longer use Hoverspeed as it's totally pointless to drive past the Tunnel just to get to the slower Dover-Calais SeaCat! My trips now take the same time as they used to - except that instead of relaxing in the SeaCat 1st Class lounge with a meal I have to sit in the car for the crossing, then spend longer driving through France to get back onto the road to Brussels...

The Oostende route was great for those travelling to Germany - and it was good value as well. A great shame that it no longer runs :mad:

Sorry to have diverted the thread. But hovercraft travel was fun as well - we once took a rugby team to the continent from Ramsgate and it was soooo much better than the ferry!

uy707
10th Jul 2004, 14:36
Just surfed on the museum interesting website, good to learn some Hovercrafts still survive, hope they will rise enough money to build some proper shelters.
Alain

Orange Arm Waver
13th Jul 2004, 15:10
It does say that the two are up for sale by the owners and "may disappear at short notice.."
Does look like an interesting collection none-the-less

Silas Blattner
13th Jul 2004, 19:07
Some Boeing drivers like to refer to Airbuses as.... Plastic French Hovercraft - usually when stuck behind them.

I couldn't possibly comment.

treadigraph
13th Jul 2004, 22:34
I liked the Hovercraft - only chance I ever got to "fly" Tyne powered. But - I also like the Ferry, civilised and get a good cholesterol-rich brekkers down yer neck before assaulting a few good French bars and restaurants (sod the shops, I prefer to wine and dine en Francaise!). Chunnel's convenient but uncivilised in my view!

Is the Pompey/Ryde Mini-Hover still going?

14th Jul 2004, 09:38
The Southsea-Ryde is still running, Two Hovercraft operate GH-2114 and GH-2132

LowNSlow
15th Jul 2004, 10:23
We had a wizened old ex-Marine (sorry Tony) here in Kazakhstan as an advisor for the hovercraft that we were using as crew transport to our offshore drilling islands. He held a CAA issued hoverdraft licence from the days when Sir Christopher Cockerill was alive so I suppose they were classed as flying machines.

The machines have proved to be a very useful tool as they can obviously cope with both sea and ice operations (it can get down to -40C here in the wintertime). The only problem with winter ops is the increased rate of erosion of the skirts when operating over ice.