PDA

View Full Version : Is being a Q.F.I. really that bad?

jimmyj
30th Nov 2001, 21:53
I am completely new to the concept of flight instructing, having always wanted to fly in the forces. However, due to poor eyesight the forces have rejected me and I have decided to move to the civilian sector and see being a flight instructor as a very satisfying career.

I am not yet qualified and face the same financial struggle that most of you guys probably have. Although I am not particularly money orientated I am aware that I probably will be by the time I am qualified, due to the cost, and I am HORRIFIED to hear you guys talking about "lowest area in aviation", "poor pay", "dole que" and "part time opportunities".

Surely the job is vital to the aviation industry as this is where everyone begins, why are things so bad for F.Is? I don't want to fly an airliner but I don't want to pay for all my qualifications just to sit in the dole que or work part time etc. Is the situation better abroad (I live in U.K)?

Come on you seasoned pros, please give the new guy some info.

BEagle
30th Nov 2001, 22:39
Unfortunately there is a widespread perception in the civil world that being a Flight Instructor is merely a method of building hours before becoming a people-tube driver.

In the military, only those with operational experience or, exceptionally, very high aptitude displayed at Advance Fast Jet Flying Training, are SELECTED for instructional duties. Hence the military has a very high standard of instructors.

But if you feel sufficiently motivated towards Flying Training as a career, may I wish you the very best of luck. However, as not many flying training employers have much interest in mere 'hours builders' these days, if you want to be a career FI who can offer an employer a reasonable guarantee, then you may be better placed than many....

Incidentally, 'QFI' is a military term reserved for Qualified Flying Instructors who have successfully graduated from the Central Flying School. In the civil world you are either a 'FI(R)' which means 'Flight Instructor (Restricted)' or a full Flight Instructor.

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

JimNich
1st Dec 2001, 00:11
The harsh truth is that there are many FIs out there instructing for NOTHING! If you manage to get even a half decent pay for instructing then let me know, I haven't heard of any anywhere else.

Oktas8
3rd Dec 2001, 10:24
It's a difficult issue. Ultimately pilots can only be paid out of profits, as no profits = no company after a while. So it stands to reason that to get a decent wage you either need lots of revenue pax or just one who is willing to pay a lot per hour.

Students who go shopping for the lowest hourly rate help to drive down wages - but who can blame them?

Become an instructor anyway if that's what you want Yorkshire-lad, and when you get some seniority you can lobby for wage increases - not your own wage, the juniors'.

It's a hard world out there no?
best of luck anyhow. O8

PS - my pet peeves: instructors who work for nothing, and instructors who are paid a salary and work overtime without claiming for it. Both the same thing really.

4th Dec 2001, 02:59
Yorkshire Lad.

Please Please do some reading into the job first! if you wish to contact me please do and i'll give you a more indepth view.

i have been in the aviation business for x years and have seen many instructors being paid a bread and water wage. the majority are paid hourly (when they fly!) and therefore can only earn when the club is busy and when the weather is good. the later normally the worse. through the winter it can be really hard.

also what may of an even bigger bearing on your dilemma is the national licence! rumours suggest that they may allow PPL instructors!! these will be PPL flyers who have not paid for the CPL or ATPL and doing it for FUN!!!!and it will satisfy there urge without paying for it!! they will require little or NO wage!!! if this happens the clubs will be able to advertise cheaper courses to increase demand but the poor instructor who has bothered to do it properly by getting the right paperwork may litterally be out in the cold.

be carefull young one :confused:

Chuck Ellsworth
4th Dec 2001, 04:36
Instructors should be on the higher end of the pilot payscale.

However it has always been the way it is now and probably always will be.

There are a few exceptions to the low pay scale in instruction and that is those of us who specialize and can charge a fair amount. Unfortunately this group is way to small and flying school instructors continue to work for below living standards wages, how sad for the industry.

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no. :D

Airprox
6th Dec 2001, 21:22
If we all got together and started a National Instructors Association we could fight low pay and promote the flying schools which pay well.

Its worth a try!

Dan Dare
7th Dec 2001, 00:23
Wouldn't minimum wage be a start to aim for! Perhaps the transport industry shouldn't be exempt from this. It seems wrong to pay the cleaners (a vital job in itself!) more than the FIs. I don't think anybody could begrudge that!

jimmyj
7th Dec 2001, 16:18
Instructors aren't even getting minimum wage? Isn't that against the law?

This is stupid, I agree that Instructors should combine their efforts to start some kind of union and fight for a bit of respect. As someone who will be training in the next 1-2 years I can definitely say that I would rather be taught by people with a passion for their job and decent rewards for their efforts than those who are simply building hours for a 'better' job.

7th Dec 2001, 17:33
although i agree with all of your statements i don't think a minimum wage would work.

as we are all aware most instructor's if not all are paid "hourly" - "when they fly".

bringing in a minimum wage would increase the fixed costs of the club/school forcing them to increase the hourly rate of tuition. the knock on effect of this would be less people learning to fly in which is already a declining market, with the effect and loss of NVQ, the implementation of JAR and the worsening weather. the school closes and no-one has a job.

it was hadled incorrectly at the very beginning of time as if you look at Helicopter instructor's they can earn £35-45 per hour, which is included in the costs.

what with the national licence coming in now it can only get worce!!!

:confused:

P-61
12th Dec 2001, 23:41
Also most instructors are self employed,so no minimum wage.