PDA

View Full Version : Starting flight lesson at 33?!?!?!

An-Lone
8th Jul 2004, 00:34
Hi Everybody,

I am new in this forum, and would like to get some opinion and advices before I make a decision on rather or not should I start taking flight lesson.

It's been my dream to become a pilot since I was in the high-school. I have recently taken a introductory flight lesson and I love it so much that I am seriously considering getting the PPL and CPL. Problem is I am a 33 yr old man and have no flying experience previously but thinking of rather or not should I start learning how to fly at this age?? If once I started, I am hoping I could get my CPL and able to find a job in any company as a pilot. I see that many of the pilot that's at my age had accumulated over thousands of flight hours.:ugh: Can anybody gives me any advice on rather or not should I just give up the whole idea of learning how to fly?? Do any of you know anybody who started out really late and still yet managed to get a job in the field??:confused:

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated!!

Andy:O

lightoutandarmed
8th Jul 2004, 02:12
hi

if you want to fly why not? flying's great. however to make a living out of it at this point would be a great challenge to say the least.

goodluck

v6g
8th Jul 2004, 02:19
33 isn't too old. There are plenty of people at Boundary Bay who have learnt in their 30's plus.

Good luck - where did you do your trial lesson?

An-Lone
8th Jul 2004, 08:04
Hi V6G,

I took the flight introduction lesson from a place call "International Flight Centre" located in Pitt Meadows Airport. There is a level 1 instructor name Randell Kuan. He seems to be very knowlegable in what he's doing, so if I am going to take the the flight lesson I will probably going to take it from him. By the way, you know anybody who is starting out at 33 yr old and still get a pilot job after their training??? That's my main concern, I really think it will be hard to get a pilot position after I earn my CPL. I mean I don't just wanna get a PPL and fly for fun, I actually want have a pilot career. What do you think? Anybody else can give me any advice on this issue?? Thanks in advance!

Andy:oh:

noisy
8th Jul 2004, 08:25
All the guys at my flying club appear to be old duffers. (older than 33 for sure). The house is paid for, the kids have left the roost and they're at a loose end. So there is no problem with actually learning to fly....
..the problem appears to be getting a job. If you're really determined then I will wish you good luck.
;)

PS there is always instructing-would you trust a young instrutor as much as a crumbly old one?

*ducks for cover*

Bear 555
8th Jul 2004, 08:54
Hi An-Lone,

I started PPL at 35 and loved every minute of it. Some instructors believe the extra maturity more than compensates for being an 'old duffer'!

Do it and enjoy it. If you have the bug and the motivation then anything is possible.

Bear

VP8
8th Jul 2004, 13:57
Did my PPL at 40!! still not too old M8Y

Go for it:ok:

VEEPS

An-Lone
9th Jul 2004, 09:00
Thanks guys for all of your valuable advice and support!!;) I am pretty sure I will be getting at least a PPL for sure. Thanks again for all of your supports!!!:O

Andy

Thirty06
9th Jul 2004, 20:27
33 ? Young I'd say.

I started at 36 and got my PPL at 37.

You have to accept that it will take you longer than it would have done at 18, but hey it's still flying.

There are plenty who stated later and are happy with the result.

Boss Raptor
9th Jul 2004, 20:39
In my glory days as an instructor in my 20's - only time I really earned my money flying - I am proud to say that I successfully taught people twice yr age and more - in fact one was aged 76 when he started Mr E. D-B...and I was aged 86 when he finished :ok:

Nice one Mr. Ed D-B ;)

simon brown
14th Jul 2004, 13:32
Hi An Lone

Like Thirty 06 I started at 35 and qualified at 37. Well worth it, especially when you ve done your first cross country qualifier. However you need to be reasonably technically minded for all the exams and try to make sure you have continuity of instruction. At my club they were merely buying time and accumilating hours then off to the airlines to a job.This meant that my first instructor whom was a brilliant left and I was assigned someone else whom want as good.I had him changed to someone else whom was also v good.

Add 50 % to the headline cost as realistically climate/operational problems cause delays to the program where layoffs require refresher flights

Good luck and be prepared to be financially poor once you start flying