PDA

View Full Version : Dragonair

laury
7th Jul 2004, 15:37
I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have been applying to Cathay for almost 2 years now but have not recieved an interview. It maybe because I have only 1850 hours.
As they have been less than helpfull I have decided to apply for Dragonair as I am keen on working in Asia.
If I decided to join Dragonair would I be able to upgrade to Capt or is there a minimum hour requirement. I have heard upgrades are only about 1 year.
I would imagine with command time on the Airbus it would make me more attractive to Cathay.
So if anyone could answer the above and give me an insight to the interview it would be appreciated.
Also would it help if I bought an Airbus endorsement.
Much appreciated.

Cpt. Underpants
7th Jul 2004, 16:15
As they have been less than helpfull

You are underqualified. At present CX new hire S/O's (second officers) are at anywhere from 3500 - 6000 hours, many with real experience as F/O's on medium jets, some even as Captains on A320's and B737'3.

If I decided to join Dragonair would I be able to upgrade to Capt

I don't work for Dragonair, but I do know quite a few of their F/O's who are vastly more experienced than you, been with them for many years and are still awaiting upgrades.

I would imagine with command time on the Airbus it would make me more attractive to Cathay.

I don't know if you're familiar with the ratings that you can buy privately, but it gives you only a rating, no command time. For it to be meaningful, get some real hours on type. CX does not look favourable on PFT jockeys. But, if you really have $20K to blow on a piece of paper that will do you no good at all, go right ahead.

My .05c - get out there, get some multi, complex turbine or turboprop time and then the (aviation) world would be your oyster.

SFontaine
8th Jul 2004, 00:06
Cpt. Underpants, Cathay does not care if you pruchase a rating yourself or not. I know, personally, several blokes who are still with CX that have purchased types AND line experience in the past. Given, it was not to join CX, it was for a previos carrier.

Laury, though the Captains" personal views towards so called "PFT" and Cathay recruitment are incorrect, his overall view is correct. Buying a Bus or Boeing rating will not help you at very many Eastern carriers, unless you have significant time on type.

Your best bet is to keep on building your experience, while getting paid to do it.

millerscourt
8th Jul 2004, 05:55
laury

How come in Nov 2003 under EK Direct Command you claimed to have been offered a DEC which you turned down when you only have 1850 hours??

dragon501
8th Jul 2004, 08:37
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragon min 4000 minus 1850 makes.....2150 that's 3 years till it's worth applying...............

I would have gone for the DEC @ EK if I were you... ;-) ;-)

laury
8th Jul 2004, 10:06
I am actually staying with a friend of mine using his computer.
And he is also the one that can give me the endorsement.
We are not in your part of the world and I dont want to say much else for obvious reasons.

HIALS
8th Jul 2004, 14:00
I'm confused - do you want to work for CX or KA? Or are you just interested in getting on with KA as a method of ultimately getting into CX?

If you are actually hunting a CX job and just using KA as a means to an end - whatever you do - don't mention that in the KA interview.

Nothing could ensure a failure at interview with KA more than indicating a preference for CX.

Flap 5
8th Jul 2004, 16:27
For what it's worth beware of assuming you can go from KA to CX. As a rule CX do not poach from KA and it is difficult to move from KA to CX.

404 Titan
9th Jul 2004, 02:53
That applies both ways. There is an agreement between CX and KA not to poach each other’s pilots. If you think you can jump from one company to another you are sadly mistaken.

Fly747
9th Jul 2004, 06:45
Only possibility is to go from CX to KA at age 55 as KA retire at 60.