PDA

View Full Version : 1st Job Worries

pre3mhjt
7th Jul 2004, 15:05
Hi Guys,

I have the same story as so many of the wannabes on PPRuNe....I always knew I wanted to fly, but never really knew how or where to get started. I then completed A-levels in Physics, Maths, English, IT and General Studies and was lucky enough to be accepted into the university of Leeds on their Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies course, where I am going into my second year.
Included in the course was the opportunity to study, with the help of many dedicated Instructors, Pilots and Lecturers a heavily subsidised PPL, which I gladly accepted and am now waiting to start a two-week course over the summer with Leeds Flying School.
Along with the PPL and other basic subjects, we also study;

Engineering materials
Fluid mechanics and heat transfer
Basic psychology and physiology
Meteorology
Transport policy
Aircraft engines
Flight dynamics and instrumentation
Industrial management and economics
Measurement and control
Aviation fuels
Transport engine emissions
Physical properties of materials
Avionics
Advanced Aerospace Propulsion
Advanced navigation
Aircraft reliability & maintenance
Crew resource management and Air law
Computational Aerodynamics
Industrial finance
Degradation of materials
Heat Transfer In propulsion systems

Which I hope will see me well placed when I leave. For any interested wannabes, more information on the course is available at http://www.leeds.ac.uk/speme/aviation/

Once I’ve finished I will have a crisp newly printed PPL.....What then? Its a question thats been bugging me for a while now. Ultimately I would love to fulfil the life long ambition of becoming a commercial pilot, but I do not expect this to happen over night. I have considered glider towing and Flight Instructing so far, neither of which I have ruled out obviously, but any advise anyone could give me on first jobs and/or hour building (preferably one and the same) would be much appreciated.

Thank You in anticipation of your invaluable comments

sam white
7th Jul 2004, 18:21
there are many opinions on this but mine is this.

Get a job that pays, fly for fun, then when the industry has got itself out of this hole that it has fallen into and companies start to respect pilots again then get into professional flying.

Instructing is fun, but it doesnt pay, if you borrow money for your CPL/IR how will you pay the loan? £6k a year, before tax, you cant even afford beer let alone to repay a loan, and if you cant afford to instruct (cos you have to pay off the loan) how can you build hours? with no hours, unless CTC take you on you wont get a job. unless you pay for a type rating. if you pay for a type rating you need a further loan, what if you dont get a job at the end of it? now the loan is sooo big you cant afford to take a badly paid airline job, if you cant afford to take the first (badly paid) job, you wont get a second, better paid job.

there are many opinions, but my advice would be not to take the opinions of other wannabes but to take it from guys that are in there first/next/ last flying job.

I have not been there and done it... I have all my licenses and instruct........ luckily i do not have a loan to pay off , and a can afford to take a badly paid job, i just cant find one.

it is up to you but it isnt all nice uniforms and prety cabin crew.

check out.... http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133699

JB007
8th Jul 2004, 11:14
Your course syllabus sounds excellent, I wish i'd have been able to do something like that...

My advice to you would be to sit back and enjoy the learning your doing and have fun doing your PPL.

If you haven't even started your PPL yet then don't even waste your time thinking of 'first commercial jobs' - you've got loads and loads of hoops to jump through and lots of hard work to come....

It's a very long road that needs to be taken one step at a time, don't try and look too far ahead - easier said than done I know because the flying is whats driving you all the time but I think it's important to enjoy your training too.

I would suggest learn, learn and learn - maybe take a job in Airline Ops/Crewing or whatever, something that just gets you in the environment and starts you learning about the business, nothing to stop you doing parachute dropping/instructing or glider towing whilst your employed in a full time position elsewhere. This will also gain you 'contacts'.

I know it all sounds a bit harsh and there is nothing wrong with having a plan (be prepared to be flexible with it, especially with time and money!) and alot of ambition but if you really wanna fly put your energy into gaining the licence (you'll need all of it!), not worrying about the first job - my dad spent my entire training bringing me back down to earth!!!

I really don't want to sound like those who are flying and like to shove it down wannabes throats but when you are finished - it's so so so worth it! I've only been doing my 'first job' for a couple of months and it is worth everything I went through....

Good luck.