PDA

View Full Version : A320 Meets It's Waterloo With A Service Truck in SNN

DCarr
4th Jul 2004, 12:03
News from Shannon Airport

An Airbus A320 was impaled by an unmanned serice truck at Shannon Airport yesterday morning.

The lifting platform decided it wanted to get up close and personal to the Airbus and went a little too close.

It created a number of new air vents on the starboard side of the aircraft between the leading edge of the main wing and the front cargo door!

The Airbus was also lifted off it's nose wheel during the incident.

There is substantial damage to the Aircraft with some new shapes complimenting the new air vents!

It was later towed to the Aerospace hanger for repair and I presume hiding!

I hope the person in charge of the truck is ok today!

DCarr

CargoOne
4th Jul 2004, 15:21
let me guess... Servisair did it again?

Pontious
4th Jul 2004, 15:26
Anybody any idea who the carrier was?

goatbusters
4th Jul 2004, 15:28
Pontious, it was Aer Lingus.

WHBM
4th Jul 2004, 15:55
This is by no means the only "runaway vehicle" accident that Shannon has ever had.

Some years ago there used to be a bus factory in the industrial estate on the airport perimeter. One day during an airfield fire practice a fire engine ran away unmanned (there must be a downslope on the grass), picked up some good speed, crashed through the chain link fence, and wrote off a brand new bus not yet delivered.

MONSOIRC
4th Jul 2004, 15:58
Cargo one

On what basis or knowledge do you make this remark?

Do u know who operates at SNN?

B careful u could get caught out with those types of comments.

320DRIVER
4th Jul 2004, 16:08
Any pics of the damage?

CargoOne
4th Jul 2004, 16:49
MONSOIRC

we operating to SNN
and during 3 years with Servisair at SNN our aircraft has been:
1. punctured once by grond equipment causing AOG
2. hit once by ground equipment
3. towbar broken by crazy driver during pushback

considering that I cannot recall any similar ground incidents with our fleet during last 10 years of worldwide operations, including Dark Africa, I defenately think there is something wrong with Servisair (normally referred as Circusair among operators) at SNN.

so I feel I have enough reasons to make small remark like I made above in this tread.

catchup
4th Jul 2004, 17:07
Maybe "grass" is a bit stronger than usual. Up there in the green....

DCarr
4th Jul 2004, 19:32
Pictures may be scarce. I may have some in a few days though!

Yes it was an Aer Lingus A320 and it seems that it may have been their own ground staff that were present!

By the way, can anyone tell me why the thread was moved here from Rumours and News. I would have thought this was news! Not that I mind, but I'd just be a little curious me being new to this and all!

Keep a close eye on this thread and I may have pics soon.

DCarr

hobie
4th Jul 2004, 22:24
DCarr - dropped into SNN today and guess what I saw ?

about a dozen? Hawks (Red Arrows?)
(there was a thread on pprune just a few days ago that suggested that a move was about to be made to disband the Red Arrows - who ever is behind it must be Mad!!!!)

and a half dozen Tornado's ..... seemed to be both RAF and German?

very impressive
:ok: :ok: :ok:

DCarr
4th Jul 2004, 23:44
Both the five Tornados, a US hawk and the Red Arrows were taking part in an Airshow at Salthill, Galway this afternoon.

There was also a display by a Black Hawk helicopter and a Harrier.

Loads of other stuff too.

Show started at 3pm local and was action packed until 6pm. And it was all free. Congrats to all concerned.

DCarr

mutt
5th Jul 2004, 03:45
DCarr,

It happens a lot more than people expect, so it really isnt a R&N event.

Mutt.

SNNEI
6th Jul 2004, 00:17
Just to add a further, rather disturbing twist to the tale, Irish media carried the headline

"Aerlingus aircraft grounded after Crash"......

Whoever wrote that headline should have been sacked.. or at the very least taken to task by Aer Lingus. In a strictly textual sense, the words were true.. but the inference was painfully obvious!

angels
6th Jul 2004, 08:29
I was on a Tower Air charter from Bangkok to Gatters many moons ago. The plane was so old and cruddy it had to make a fuel stop at Bahrain.

We were given temporary disembarkation cards and headed off to the bar. After 40 minutes we wandered back to see a service truck wedged under the wing with several blokes looking up at the damage and scatching their heads.

So that was it. A 12 hour delay.

We got back to the bar and the guy was closing it up. This was serious, a big delay and no bar.

So we came to a 'gentleman's agreement' with the barman. He stayed open. We paid 50 percent extra per pint -- he binned the 50 percent and hopefully got kudos from his boss for staying open.

When we finally took off I slept through to finals.

BRL
6th Jul 2004, 13:22
Exclusive Airbus/Tractor collision photo,
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/Airbus.jpg

ElectroVlasic
7th Jul 2004, 02:47
Exclusive Airbus/Tractor collision photo BRL, you have a future in the media!

--ev--

Pontious
7th Jul 2004, 10:24
Thanks for that, Goatbusters. For a moment I thought it might have been FCA.

Slainte.:ok:

DCarr
7th Jul 2004, 22:31
If you watch this space, photos of a stricken A320 should appear by Friday. If anyone can PM me on how to insert the photo, I'd appreciate it!

DCarr

BRL
7th Jul 2004, 23:38
Hi there. Take the pictures, resize them to about 480x375, put pictures on a web-site(the 'host'), start your post here, click on IMG, insert in the box that comes up the URL for the picture.

The URL can be obtained by right clicking the picture when it is on a web-page and copy the image properties then paste into the box(see above).

It should look something like this....

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/Airbus.jpg

That is the URL for the picture I posted above. I hosted it on my free web-space that I get from BT internet, my ISP. Every ISP should give you free web-space, if unsure go to your IPS's home page and look at the FAQ there.

It looks complicated here but it really is easy. If you still can't do it, send the pictures to me, I will host them and put them up for you. :) [email protected]

Good luck.