PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Spikeee
3rd Jul 2004, 10:02
I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment and it would be greatly appreciated if you could offer me your views:

Since my A-levels I’ve been working for a company for 9 months, the salary I am on is appalling given the amount of work I do, so I applied for another job and was successful.

I let my present employer know last week who then made an offer to match everything the other company offer if I would stay.

I am not particularly enjoying the job at the moment so I told him I would think about it. Later that day the director from the department across the office offered me a job with them, which would actually be interesting work.

Anyway, this is going far more long winded than I intended! (Sorry)

Each job offers the same pay (at present) and both want to send me on a degree this September. I am not happy in the job I am doing at the moment so I have ruled that one out but the other 2 I am finding it very hard to decide.

The job in the new company offers more responsibility, better conditions and is close to the flying school. Although, overall I will not earn as much (in the long run) as I would with the company I am with at the moment. I do not want to stay in the job as I want to be a pilot; this is merely a trade to fall back on and an opportunity to obtain a degree.

Also, I hardly ever get a chance to fly anymore, but with this new company I would be able to quite frequently. The amount I would learn is greatly less in this job than in the other and my work load would be significantly less to the point where my present employer said I would be very bored. But I am wondering whether this time could be used well, to work towards the degree as I hear it is hard to juggle full time work and a degree.

This probably sounds like I am swaying towards the new company, which is true. My main concern is that the new job is for a local authority that will not have as good a reputation as my present company on my CV. This is concerning me as what would an airline think?

I told my present employer that I would let them know on Monday, so to give them as much notice as possible. I haven’t made the decision yet as the work in the other department is very interesting and I get on with everyone. If becoming a pilot did (god forbid) fall through working for my present company would stand me better within this industry.

I’ve just realised how unspecific I have been above so: if I stay with the company in the new department; it would be a Technician in Highway Design and with the local authority, Technician in Accident Investigation.

Also, the company I am with at the moment knows that I want to become a pilot and if the opportunity arose straight after the degree I would take it. The local authority doesn’t know this but part of the conditions states that if I left during the degree or 12months after I would have the pay the last 12months fees.

Apologies if there are any contradictions, grammatical / spelling errors but I haven’t had chance to re-read, I have to get to the post office before it closes!

If you could just provide me with your views it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Spike

ashleyeagles
3rd Jul 2004, 13:00
Just my opinion but I think the accident investigation one sounds good. Wanting to be a pilot myself, it would be my opinion that something that shows the ability to solve problems would be useful for the future! Although design is in effect solving problems I would see investigation as being a more methodical approach to things.

As for the LEA looking bad on your CV (think that is what you meant) I disagree, at the end of the day as long as your references are good from previous places of work, it shouldnt matter who they were!

Hope this helps, but remember they're just my opinions!

Ash

Spikeee
7th Jul 2004, 12:28
Thats great. Thanks for your help!

Regards,