PDA

View Full Version : University or Flight School?

Jedi_Pilot
1st Jul 2004, 04:07
Hello everyone,

I have had numerous people telling me I should go to uni to learn how to fly, and then others telling me it's a waste of time. Personally I would prefer not to go to uni. Any help or opinions would be fantastic.

Cheers

AJ
1st Jul 2004, 09:08
It's a bit like the modular vs integrated argument, as far as I can see. Both have their pros and cons but the ultimate decision depends on one's individual circumstances.

Do you personally see yourself gaining something useful out of Uni? - something that might help you get an alternative job in case of being unable to pursue flying straight away?

What would you get out of the university? Socially, probably friends for life. Educationally, a degree that would act as a passport to a better paid job (something that might come in useful if you need to fund your future flight training, or need to find work after graduating from a flight school).

On the other hand, if you have no genuine desire to want to pursue a degree (and you don't need one to fly commercially), it's probably best for you to get started straight away. You can always find a job that will go some way towards helping you fund your training - you may find some more relevant work in any case, i.e. at the local airfield.

Listen to others' advice, and weigh it up, but ultimately it's about whether YOU think it's worth doing one thing, or the other. There's no "right" path to learning to fly, there's only the way that suits YOUR particular circumstances best.

regards

redsnail
1st Jul 2004, 10:14
You don't need a degree to fly in Australia.
CASA couldn't give a rat's if you have a degree or not. They just want you to pass their exams.
QF might state certain academic achievements but that's at high school level only.
Ask yourself why so many uni's are now stopping Aviation orientated degrees in Australia?
I'd recommend Tech.

Most people don't really mature untill they have left formal full time education. (I base this on what I saw when I was working at uni for over 8 years + what mate's have said too).