PDA

View Full Version : What was it like being a second officer?

hasell
30th Jun 2004, 12:47
Hi,

Just wondering if any current professional pilots got to becoming FOs/Captains via the Second officer route. If so, what was the experience like?
I would imagine that it was/is a great way to actually use some of your newly acquired Flight Deck skills/knowledge and hone these skills, whilst also having the luxury of watching senior flight deck crew perform their tasks?
Also did you ever get 'stuck' or in need of assistance in performing any tasks eg radio calls etc?

Apologies if this question has been asked before??

Regards.
Has.

Localiser Green
30th Jun 2004, 18:25
Remember that the positon of "Second Officer" is defined differently in different airlines.

In Britannia and Monarch for example a "Second Officer" is just a First Officer usually with low total hours and new to type who becomes a "Second Officer" until his / her ATPL defrosts.

They are fully type rated and their tasks are that of a First Officer in the right seat, i.e. pretty much half the time as PF and the other half PNF. The only real difference is that they are paid less than First Officers.

The same title is given by some carriers (like Cathay Pacific) to inexperienced pilots who are "cruise pilots", to whom I think you are referring, but this is not strictly speaking the definition of a "Second Officer".

mattpilot
1st Jul 2004, 02:48
i always thought the Second officer was the F/E :confused:

hptaccv
3rd Jul 2004, 08:52
..depending on carrier, as loc green has summarised.

At LH a SO is basically a FO before having received his line-proficiency check. SOs wear the same uniform as FOs, as SO time is usually not longer that 3 months, defeating the costs for an extra uniform. Difference being that the SO is accompanied by a FO during this time.