PDA

View Full Version : Need some confirmation....

roverlad
29th Jun 2004, 23:45
Hi,

I am hearing 2 different stories on what is need to fly commercially in the U.K. If a Canadian pilot has say... 2000 tt,500 multi and then all of the other required hours that fulfill an ICAO ATPL licence that is completed as well as U.K. citizenship and passport, what is then needed to work in the U.K. as a commercial pilot?
Some people at work have said you still need to do all 14 exams plus all the flight tests while others have said since the ATPL has been achieved all is needed is for the paperwork to be completed then off you fly.
Also what is the time frame and cost to do the conversion if that is what needs to be done?Lastly what sort of work can you likely apply to and have a good shot at?
I am not considering doing this as it is actually a discussion amongst a bunch of guys at work and they all think they are right and I'd like to set the record straight.

Appreciate your feedback...

roverlad

mutt
30th Jun 2004, 03:24
2000 hrs total, 500 ME..... I would expect that you might get some classroom exemptions so the 6 months ground school would be reduced. But expect all the exams and flight tests. Cost wise, I doubt that you will get any change from UK10,000.

The you can get a shot at spending more money on a type rating and joining Easyjet, Ryanair etc etc.

Mutt.

moku
30th Jun 2004, 10:22
Mutt check you PM.

Cheers.

Moku.

redsnail
30th Jun 2004, 10:35
roverlad,
Get it from the horse's mouth.
Read LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp). Especially section G.
If you don't have +1500 hours in command of a 30 tonne or more aircraft in primarily international operations with a TT of 3000 hours then you'll have to do the full 14 JAR exams.

With your time, you don't have to do the full formal course, I would suggest you do the distance learning modules.

You need 500 hours of multi pilot operations to be awared a JAR ATPL. If you don't have that then you will be awared a CPL.
Have a good read of Section G and it should explain where you fit in regarding the conversion.