PDA

View Full Version : Legal advice required - Sponsored v Self funded students age old problem

cabaircat
29th Jun 2004, 19:18
Just a quick question to some of you legal guys. A group of us students were having a talk the other day about the legalities of FTO contracts. Can anybody elaborate on how a self funded student would stand legally if he/she proved that sponsored students or any other students for that reason were for one reason or another being given priority in terms of flights. Surely there is a case to answer if you have bought a course and you are suffering through no fault of your own to get it completed in the stated time. What would a student haveto prove to the court to get the company to return their training costs.

Cheers

silverknapper
29th Jun 2004, 23:00
Any chance of being specific?
Off top of head I would imagine the FTO will have it covered in the contract. And if not you wouldn't get all your costs refunded anyway.
Whats going on today, feels like everyone looking for claims direct!!

cabaircat
30th Jun 2004, 07:49
Proven priority for sponsored students mainly. Self funded students being moved to another flight school to do there flight training to allow sponsored students to use the schools limited aircraft. Contract has no reference to sponsored students taking priority whatsoever. Don't give a toss about claiming money, just want the training we paid for within the time.

Cheers for any time

C

Send Clowns
30th Jun 2004, 08:08
The only thing that will finally solve this problem (that has happened in the past) is consumer power. Ask for your money back, tell them why, and take it to another school. I have known people to do so for the same reason, and it is not a problem. You may find you pay a little more for the course as you will have to catch up a few hours training in a new area, but at least you will finish. To balance this remember that each month delay is a month longer, on average, to a paid job. Probably worth around £2000 in the short term, even more in the long term considering your delayed seniority affecting later earnings.

Straightandlevel80kt
1st Jul 2004, 06:18
How would you prove that integrated folks were getting priority? (I'm just interested)

I doubt that there would be a case to answer provided the FTO could demonstrate that they are providing everything they are obliged to under your contract. I would imagine there would be nothing explicit in the contract about priority. Have a look, but I suspect it's a case of sod's law here. Unfair? Yes.

In your shoes I'd have it out with them politely but firmly. If nothing changed very quickly I'd take the advice in this thread and take my money elsewhere, possibly naming the FTO on here for the reference of others.

Either that or find the integrated boys and break their legs. :D

Best of luck.