PDA

View Full Version : ATP 135 and 121

GeeBeeZee
28th Jun 2004, 00:04
Hi all

Im studying for the Australia ATPL via a mixture of correspondence and self study. I managed to borrow some JAA material from a friend and found it very good at explaining sections like NAV, Systems, Performance loading. I understand that the the ATPL's vary however a lot of the material overlaps with the Australian ATPL.

Anyway my im considering buying the ATP 135 or 121 DVD's from king schools. As far as my research goes the 121 is on a B1900 and the 135 is a 727 ?

Has anyone purchased the US ATP dvds to assist in the study for a Aus or JAA atpl ?

What topics are covered in the ATP 121 and 135 ?

Anyone have any advise ?

GeeBeeZee

minus273
28th Jun 2004, 01:23
Hi there GeeBeeZee

I assume that you are talking about the King Schools Manuals for the FAA ATPL.

Part 135: Deals with commuter on demand and non-scheduled flights. The Aircraft usually, but not always used are C-208, King-Airs, B-1900s.

Part 121: Deals with scheduled airline service and flag carriers etc etc. They usually use, but not always, larger aircraft such as the B-737.

I would say that if you have no intention of doing the FAA ATPL then not to bother with the King books. There are a few but not many questions in the JAA exams that are the same as the FAA ATPL questions.

The performance section with learning to use the graphs and charts to calculate performance is almost identical. You then just have to use the different safety values tacked on.

The material covered in the FAA ATPL is the same as that of the JAA ATPL just in a lot less depth.

2 Books that I would recommend are "From the Ground Up" & " The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" These are both slanted at FAA and Canadian pilots but are a good source of basic to mid-level knowledge. Just be aware that some of the stuff you will have to ignore because of this.

So really unless you are doing the FAA ATPL I would say that it would probably not be worth spending your money on the FAA stuff that the JAA books would be a better bet.

I am sure others will have something to add.