PDA

View Full Version : ME or SE CPL?

EGBKFLYER
27th Jun 2004, 18:09
My situation is 240TT, IMC and Multi with about 15H on PA34/BE76
Currently doing 55hr Multi IR before the CPL for various reasons.

I have the option of a 15hr CPL, either single or multi. Difference in cost is about £800.

Question is - do I opt for ME or SE CPL? Bearing in mind I'll have an IR and about 50 multi hours by the time I get there, what would you do?

Couldn't find anything directly relevant on the forum search - if anyone can point me at a pertinent thread, please do so...

mad_jock
27th Jun 2004, 18:25
MEP.

If yourwell up to speed on them as you will be after your IR. The extra you need to do at the end of the test is nothing compared to having to nail a glide approach and PFL in a complex single.

I did my CPL in a MEP and I wouldn't have a clue how to set a complex single up for either of those exercises. Why bother having to work hard and learn something new when you can just rely on your current skill base.

MJ

Delta Wun-Wun
27th Jun 2004, 20:10
Extra Multi is always useful. How come you will have 50 hrs multi after your IR? Are you doing all the 55 hrs on the aircraft or is some in the sim?

EGBKFLYER
27th Jun 2004, 20:19
My IR includes 20hrs on the twin plus another 15 in an FNPTII, which I counted. That plus my existing time will make up the 50ish hours.

mad_jock
27th Jun 2004, 21:08
Don't count any time in a sim, FNPT1 OR II towards your total time in any class or type of aircraft. The only time it is worth logging in your log book is when its manditory for a rating or type issue. And even then it dosn't go towards total time or MEP time.

But for the purposes of deciding SEP or MEP you will be more up to speed flying the MEP after just sitting your IR. Also and extra 800 for 15hrs in a twin is cheap. Its worth maximum 9 hours in a single at rental rates. Now an extra 15hrs in a twin...

Also as well if you get above 50hrs flying time in a twin (ie proper logged) it means that you can rent twins more easly due to insurance resrictions and also if you go for air taxi jobs you need a min of 50hrs MEP for JAR OPS.

MJ

EGBKFLYER
27th Jun 2004, 21:15
Thanks MJ. Wondered about the sim time issue - now I know. Looks like it's going to be an ME CPL then... I was leaning that way anyway - as you say, £800 for that amount of twin time is well worth it. I didn't know about the air taxi stipulation either, so there's another reason to do it.