PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS 430/530

Sydu
27th Jun 2004, 16:58
Just a quickie - Does anyone out there do ground tuition courses for Garmin GPS 430/530 kit?

minus273
27th Jun 2004, 17:52
Hi there,

I know it is not quite what you are looking for, but there is a CD-ROM tutor that helps you get the hang of it.

It is a bit clunky to use, but gives you some idea.

I found that the best way is just to get in a plane with one and play with the knobs and buttons.

Anyways hope that you find someone to teach you how to use it.

spitfire747
27th Jun 2004, 19:29
the garmin website has downloadable simulators to play with.. seem pretty realistic

Spitty

http://www.garmin.com/software/simulators/TRAIN430.EXE[/URL]

eagerbeaver
28th Jun 2004, 12:02
a guy i know does a course at earls colne, Arwyn jONES if you are interested let me know and i will forward his number.

alphaalpha
30th Jun 2004, 11:06
Arwyn Jones runs an excellent ground course at Cambridge. It's one day and uses real GNS430/530's hooked up to simulators which provide a pseudo GPS signal. It works exactly like the real thing in flight.

The day takes you from being a basic 'button-pusher' to being comfortable with the beast, including flight plans, approaches (for monitoring approved approaches, of course) modifying fligh plans in the air, dealing with deviations, and lots and lots of very practical tips.

It was probably the best day's training I've ever had and, as it essentially practical, I've had no trouble applying it in the air subsequently.

Arwyn's email is [email protected]

AA

Marc B
30th Jun 2004, 13:24
Having attended the 1 day GNS430 course run by Arwyn jones of Cambridge Recurrent Training, I agree it is one of the most useful workshops that we could have had for our plane. 3 of us from the FLEA group attended and we have all increased our confidence levels in using the kit dramatically. Arwyn, takes the unit out of your plane (if youhave one) or out of one of the Cambridge planes which means that you learn using the exact piece of kit you will use later to return home. You then spend a day going through each of the functions of the unit and using it in practice simulations with a variety of changes to flight plan destination, the need to constantly change VOR's and ending with practice instrument approaches - all in a classroom. The constant practice improves confidence no end. In addition, since then, i have found that any amendments I need to make en-route have been accomplished much much quicker which means safer flying as my head is looking out of the cockpit rather than in at the kit. All in all and excellent investment of £95 - comes with my vote.

Marc