PDA

View Full Version : Birdstrike?????

gibney85
26th Jun 2004, 23:45
On a flight on Saturday to Dublin I Noticed markings on both the wings nearest the cabin. Can anyone confirm what these are. I was thinkin birdstrikes perhaps????

http://www.ifsd.ie/forum/uploads/gibney85/2004628134850_birdstrike1654464626871687.jpg

ShyTorque
27th Jun 2004, 09:57
If that's a picture under your question, then no, it wasn't a birdstrike.

Birds don't make those sort of marks.

I don't think they know how to draw neat little red crosses in the white box, they usually just go "splat".

;)

S cubed
1st Jul 2004, 18:09
Looks more like a bit of rubber seal, starting to come adrift, has beaten itself to death in the airflow, at some lesser flap setting.
Birdstrikes are usually on the underside of the flaps, so we pilots, with our feet firmly on the ground, can see 'em! They also leave a spanwise (with sideways movement) bloodstain.

witchdoctor
2nd Jul 2004, 10:07
Hmm. They look like yellow flap position indicators to me.:D

mono
2nd Jul 2004, 10:27
I agree witchdoctor :ok:

The other marks are more likely excess grease from the flap track and other componants which has splashed back in the airflow.

ShyTorque
3rd Jul 2004, 21:05
Ah! A picture now. ;)

Yes, Gibney,

It's almost certainly red grease. It is quite common to see this stuff. Engineers often put too much of it on and in all sorts of places. I often end up with it on my trouser legs, shoes and on my shirt cuffs as they use it to grease things INSIDE our aircraft.

gibney85
7th Jul 2004, 23:58
Thanx Guys for clearing that up.

No prizes for guessing what country that a/c is just after departing from.

It was my first time on a L-1011 Tristar, Euro Atlantic Airways