PDA

View Full Version : CPL Skill Test Diversions?

sawotanao
26th Jun 2004, 09:25
For those of you that have done a JAA CPL (A) skills test:
Where was your VFR leg to and diversion to? Particulary interested in the tests depatured from Cranfield. Many thanks in advance for your comments.
S.

spitfire747
26th Jun 2004, 10:14
correct me if i am wrong, the JAA CPL(A) skill test now does NOT involve an IF diversion. The diversion is a simple VFR diversion and you can use what ever means you want to do it, dead reckoning, pilotage, radio nav, seat of the pants........
there is some IF work but just involves determining your position in simulated IMC conditions, i.e. a VOR or DME fix under the hood, some turns, climbs etc..

GoodLuck
:D

sawotanao
26th Jun 2004, 10:22
Cheers Spitfire, i've edited the question. Where was yours (even if not out of CFD).

( Been reading out of date standards documents...not a good start!):uhoh:

FlyingForFun
26th Jun 2004, 15:41
Mine was in the days when the first part of the diversion, at least, was IFR (wow, saying things like that makes me feel ancient, but it was only 6 months ago!), but here you go, anyway:

The first leg was to Escape, a farm strip in the middle of nowhere, maybe 20-30 miles from Palm Bay, that's impossible to see. The diversion was to Sunset Strip, which is a private airstrip a few miles west of Okeechobee in Florida. Don't know if that's at all relevant to you, but you asked... :)

FFF
-------------

loftustb
26th Jun 2004, 19:31
Belvoir Castle (near Grantham, pronounce it "Beever" or you'll sound like a ****)
Chipping Warden
Yate (on the end of Filton's instrument approach)
Prestwood (north of High Wycombe)
Spitalgate (in Barkston Heath MATZ)
Faringdon (south of Brize MATZ)
North Leach Roundabout (west of Brize MATZ)
Deenethorpe (near Corby)

I reckon examiners look for a MATZ or some busy airspace or an instrument approach and pick a point on the other side.......and the route always takes you over a million gliding/parachuting sites - never realised there were so many of them.

spitfire747
27th Jun 2004, 13:01
Oh ok.. my diversion took me through busy Class D airspace and the point i was heading to was a radio mast in the midde of nowhere... good job we never made it.
i think matz penetration of class d penetration is guaranteed if possible with weather and traffic

goodluck