PDA

View Full Version : Colditz and the Ruhr Dams

vintage ATCO
24th Jun 2004, 18:25
Had a fantastic weekend looking round Colditz castle and then back low level (well, not THAT low ;) ) via the Eder, Sorpe and Mohne dams.

After reading many books about Colditz and watching the film/TV series (which were not made there, of course) it was fascinating being there and 'living it'.

And the dams were amazing!

There are photos here:
www.stevelevien.com/colditz1.htm
www.stevelevien.com/colditz2.htm
rather a lot I'm afraid!

wub
24th Jun 2004, 19:27
Have to agree Vintage ATCO, I had the pleasure of walking over the Mohne one gorgeous summer's day and then flying round it the next evening. An awe inspiring experience.

I also managed to visit the ex-SS Occult centre at Wewelsburg Castle, that was creepy.

PS Super pictures

PPRuNe Pop
24th Jun 2004, 23:00
Marvellous pics VA. Gives a special feeling about the place - almost as though you have been there.

As for the dams - brilliant. I walked the Mohne when I was in the army in 1951. The concrete had dried! But it was easy to see the 'join' and a great experience. It was a weekend leave centre then btw.

Woomera
25th Jun 2004, 01:10
Is the prisoner made glider still in the ceiling at Colditz??

vintage ATCO
25th Jun 2004, 06:58
Is the prisoner made glider still in the ceiling at Colditz??

No, it was destroyed soon after the end of the War. Only one photograph, taken by a US soldier, exists.

There is a one-third scale model in the museum at Colditz and a full size replica was built and flown for a CH4 programme, last year I think.

Wycombe
25th Jun 2004, 12:22
...I was there (Mohne) much more recently (albeit in the '90's) and the "join" was still visible on close inspection.

Standing on top of the Mohne and looking "downstream" really makes you think.

ozplane
26th Jun 2004, 15:24
The Colditz Cock replica was at Duxford for a while last year but with the current shuffling going on I haven't seen it for a while. I visited the Eder dam some years ago and I still can't work out how they got a Lancaster round the headland and down to 60 feet with flak all around in order to bomb the dam. Amazing flying and very brave men.

Lukeafb1
28th Jun 2004, 10:15
Wycombe has pre-empted me.

I walked across the Mohne Dam in the mid-50s with my parents. I was going to ask if the repairs were still visible now. When I walked across it, the repairs still looked almost new.

JDK
28th Jun 2004, 14:33
The Coldiz Cock glider (recreation / replica) was on display at IWM Lambeth a few years back. I have a batch of photos of it there in their display area right up in the roof (appropriate really). Dunno where it is now though!
Cheers
James K