PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building (Canada)

WO
22nd Oct 2001, 21:26
Can anyone help me? I'm toying with the idea of taking a year out in Canada to build hours etc.
Firstly, does anyone know how many hours you need to have before you can take a Canadian CPL?
Second, how much does it cost? ( approx)
Thirdly, Is there many opportunities to earn money from light aviation in Canada? i would assume that there was, because of how remote many settlements etc are from major cities and towns, but if you know otherwise, please set me straight!

Lastly, if anyone has any contact numbers or websites, i'd really appreicate it

XENON
23rd Oct 2001, 02:27
I am a British flight Instructor out here in Canada. Drop me a line on [email protected] and I will answer your questions.

Canada Goose
23rd Oct 2001, 19:45
W.O.

I can recommend Canada as a sound alternative for hour building purposes over the USA, though I have to say I don't know how it would work with regards to renting aircraft with a foreign (UK) PPL. Probabaly have to write the PSTAR (rules & regs, arimanship etc) and do a few other exams/checkouts). No doubt Xenon can fill you in on such matters.

One thing to bare in mind with regards to getting a Canadian CPL is that it can only be used in Canada, and to work in Canada, you need a work visa or right to work in Canada (e.g. maybe you were born here, or a parent is Canadian etc.). Obtaining a work visa is a lentghy and costly process and they are only issued to people who have a skill set that is in demand in Canada, and I doubt a bush pilot is one of those areas in demand. Don't get me wrong there is a need for Bush pilots but, and I believe I am correct in saying, there is not a shortage of them, or other commercial pilots, though I seem to recall seeing airline pilot on such a list many years ago - but don't quote me on that !! Generally most people progress onto a CPL after obtaining their PPL, so I'm not sure on how many hours you need before beginning down that route, again, no doubt Xenon will have the answers. For licence requirements you can check out the Transport Canada web site CARS 421.30
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/CARS/cars/421e.htm#421_30

Similarly, drop me a line or post again if you have any other queries.

Cheers,
CG.

ashwin
25th Oct 2001, 02:33
hey there,
well I used to fly in the U.S. and now I'm over in Toronto, and well.... there are quiet a few flight schools here, but I've seen them all, and Brampton flight club seems to be the most proffessional and the best one I've seen so far in the country, they have a very informal, yet professional attitude and staff,
web site is www.bramfly.com (http://www.bramfly.com)
any other questions e-mail me on [email protected]
the rates are pretty competitve to, and its only 15 mins from Toronto International(Pearson)
g'luck
:)

[ 24 October 2001: Message edited by: ashwin ]

goat737
25th Oct 2001, 17:16
Whiskey Oscar,

I am an experienced flight instructor based 30 minutes east of Toronto. We have had a number of students come over from the UK who have trained with us, some of which have been hired as flight instructors in the past. Email me if you wish and I will provide you with our very competitive rates as well as information about training in Canada.

Cheers.
([email protected])

Dockjock
28th Oct 2001, 21:32
Above all true, BUT- any savings that you appear to accrue by building the time on Canadian aircraft will disappear when you move back to the EU as the conversion back to a JAA licence (from Canadian) runs around $30-40K CDN.

If your plans are to permanently immigrate to Canada the toughest part will be the work VISA as there is currently a vast oversupply of pilots here. Low time pilots either work near big cities as flight instructors, or move up to northwestern Ontario, Manitoba, or in the Northwest Territories to find ramp/dock and (hopefully) subsequent charter flying work.

50 hrs on floats is the bare minimum for entry level floatplane jobs. 12-18 months on the ramp as a loader is the typical minimum for promotion to a small twin cojo at companies that do that sort of thing. 1000TT is the typical minimum to see any turbine equipment, there are exceptions of course.

The mail/fax/phone and wait method is 100% ineffective here. Your best bet is to target a small city with a few charter companies, get a job pumping gas, and bug all the chief pilots daily! Good luck!

Dockjock
28th Oct 2001, 21:38
Oh ya, here are some links to Canadian forums:
http://www.canadianaviation.com/forums/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
http://www.syz.com/avcanada/forums/

Canada Goose
29th Oct 2001, 21:10
Dockjock,

I thought that credit would be given to hours previoulsy accumulated in a non-JAA state. When students are going to the USA for hour building, are they doing it through an approved JAA flight training school ??

From the JAR FCL website, it states that credit will be given to the holder of equivalent licences from non-JAA states, by reducing the number of hours required to obtain a licence/rating etc.

I don't know that the requirements are for a JAA multi rating, but as you may know, here in Canada there is no minimum hour requirement for a multi rating. If you can prove to an instructor that you are capable of safely handling the plane and can demonstrate flight test standards, then you can be recommended for a flight test. The time it takes to reach this standard varies from student to student, suffice it to say, that if JAA implement a similar approach, then guess what ?? you could in theory fly one lesson with an JAR instructor and then be immediately recommended for a flight test, and hence get a multi covnersion at minimum cost in the EU !!

Of course I may be way off base here. Perhaps JAA require a minimum number of hours dual - no doubt someone will put me right, if I am wrong. :confused:

WO
29th Oct 2001, 21:44
Thanks for all the advice guys, it's been really helpful. In light of what's been said here, I think my best course of action may be to plan a visit in the near future to build some hours, and just leave it at that for now.

WO

aged
30th Oct 2002, 09:58
I'm looking at doing some hour building in Canada (better than flying round Florida for me) and would welcome any suggestions on:

- is a UK PPL valid there or do I need to convert?

- any suggestions where is good to hire from and good areas to fly in for some useful hour building.

Cheers
Aged

grundog
30th Oct 2002, 11:51
Hi aged,

I'm leaving in 2 weeks to do my hrs building, CPL and FI in Canada. I have already visited the school where I am doing it and will happily pass on the info I have. Just email me at [email protected] as I don't want to advertise on this Forum.

Basically,

No Visa required if you are British
Valid ICAO PPL and medical is fine
Solo in a C152 about £33 per hour inc. fuel,ins,headset etc!
£100 dual in a light twin!!!

WHY ARE PEOPLE INSISTING ON HOURS BUILDING IN THE US?

Canada is less hassle and cheaper :D :D :eek:

Offer of info applies to anyone else interested.

Cheers

grundog

FlyingForFun
30th Oct 2002, 12:10
I'm leaving in 2 weeks to do my... CPL... in Canada
Is there anywhere in Canada you can do a UK CAA-approved JAR CPL course? I didn't think there is - if there is, I'd definitely be very interested to hear more details. (By private message or e-mail would be fine if you don't want to publish details on the forum.)

Thanks,

FFF
---------------

GolfFoxtrot
30th Oct 2002, 12:45
A UK PPL is fine you'll need a foreign licence validation from Transport Canada (Canadian CAA) at a cost of 40 Canadian Dollars (I think). It takes about 45 minutes to arrange if you drop by one of their offices and lasts for a year. A Canadian Limited Time PPL can be obtained which lasts for 3 months I think and is slightly cheaper.

As for areas to fly, I did mine out West. I rented an IFR C-172 (I) from an outfit in the Fraser Valley near Vancouver (£43ph wet on average) and toured through the Canadian Rockies and Prairies.

You can get a Canadian PPL issued on the basis of your CAA/JAA PPL if you sit the PSTAR (Airlaw) exam and pay Transport Canada 55 Canadian Dollars. You will also need evidence of your 150nm qualifying cross-country route (take a CAA chart).

As mentioned above you need an ICAO Medical (UK class 3 is ok). If you intend to try and gain a Canadian PPL, you will either need the original medical form your doctor filled out before granting a class 3 or you'll be obliged to do a Canadian Medical (approx 100 Canadian). Getting a Canadian PPL can be a pain but it’s a nice way to finish off if you intend going back on a regular basis.

Apart from that have fun it's a beautiful country and if you fly out West you'll learn a lot about mountain flying.

Cheers
GF

grundog
30th Oct 2002, 19:22
I'm afraid I don't know anywhere that is doing a JAA approved course at the moment in Canada. I have heard rumours of one but have never found it. I know that at least one is considering looking into JAA licenses.
I'm doing the Ca CPL and planning to stay out there.
Email me if you need anymore info.

Cheers

grundog

FlyingForFun
31st Oct 2002, 08:11
Ah, thanks grundog. Your profile says UK, so I assumed you were doing a JAR CPL - my mistake.

FFF
---------------

saudipc-9
31st Oct 2002, 16:35
I don't want to tell anyone how to suck eggs, but if you do end up going to Canada as GF did, be very careful if you do try to fly in the Rockies. I flew SAR for the CAF out of Namao and spent my fair share of time looking for guys who crashed because they did not know what they were doing.
I recommend taking a short mountain flying course run by one of the flight schools before trying it on your own. Just some friendly advice.
Fly safe

aged
1st Nov 2002, 04:49
Appreciated, a valid point.

cleartoland04
5th Nov 2002, 12:30
Hi guys,

No school in Canada is offering JAA licences, even PPL. However, one school in Québec is actually advertising a program which offers a combine CAA/JAA ATPL but the JAA training is made in Switzerland where you must stay for 3 months.

For more info www.cargair.com

Cheers,

Flyingspaniard
5th Nov 2002, 13:48
Well I'm out here doing some hour building at the moment and it is a fantastic place to do it. I have done the Florida thing and this is so much better. The cold is obviously the major disadvantage, but as far as I'm concerned it is something that has added to my flying skills. Since I've been out here also done a float rating course which again was great. There is some fantastic scenery out here.

I already had a UK fAtpl etc and so I'm just getting mine converted in the hope of getting some work out here as it is what I have always wanted to do.

I am presently looking to fly an apache to boost my Multi IFR time P1 and it is gonna cost ca$170 per hour.

Costs on the C152 sounds about right. There are no landing or approach fees to pay except at some airports like the Toronto city centre one. The other day flew into Ottawa International and landed on 12000 feet worth of runway for free!!! I'll never get over this free landings business!!

Email me if you want to ask anything I'm sure I can help.

FS

Canada Goose
7th Nov 2002, 17:13
saudipc-9 ..... excellent advice. Things can go pear shaped very quickly in the Rockies.

Flyingspaniard, you're right to an extent, no ldg or appch fees expect a few like CYTZ and CYYZ, however, I'm curious as Ottawa (CYOW) has been charging ldg fees since Spring/Summer of this year. The Ottawa Flying Club charges $3.00 per flight to cover this (i.e. you could do 1.5 hrs of circuits and still only be charged $3.00). Also, are you sure it's $170 ph for the Seneca, if so I'd say that's an excellent deal, especially for T.O. I'm assuming that's solo rent as well. Not wanting to sound pedantic as well, but the longest rwy at YOW is 32/14 and it's 10,000' ..... sorry couldn't resist ! ;)

Cheers,
C.G.:)

Saxon
8th Nov 2002, 01:52
Hi Everyone,

I am an Instructor at Interlake International Pilot Training Centre, and have been a resident Expat in Canada for about 2 years now. Currently IIPTC is actively persuing JAA approval, but it is a slow time coming ! We do have hour building programmes for European pilots for both single (C172, C182), and Multi, (PA44).

Please feel free to P.M. me; details, questions, ect.

Blue Skies !

aged
8th Nov 2002, 06:12
Saxon

Do you guys have a website with rates, services etc detailed? If twin hours are anywhere close to C$170 its pretty good value for us! (at 2.4 = £70!)

Thanks

Tim_Q
8th Nov 2002, 10:35
Aged, found their site..http://www.iiptc.com There are some rates under 'courses'.
Just want to thank everyone for the advice :) , this thread isn't really in the right place, surprised scroggs or WWW haven't shifted it actually, but anyway...
I am also thinking of going over to Canada later next year, great place to fly and great prices too. Trouble is it's such a big place, too many places to choose from! Which area has the 'best climate'? By best, I mostly mean least rain, temperature is less of an issue, I'm after flying weather! :D .At the moment I am thinking of visiting September time.
Thanks,
T

Canada Goose
8th Nov 2002, 12:04
Tim_Q,

I can recommend Ottawa (www.ofc.ca) to stay and fly, that said Toronto and Montreal would probably be just as much fun. Ottawa however is quite central for Quebec city and Toronto. Summers are typically hot and dry with any rain coming in the form of thunderstorms and thundershowers, thus it's pretty difficult to get any real IMC exposure in the summer in this neck of the woods.

Vancouver is an awesome place to visit, however it is typically wetter, as is the whole of the west coast. Calgary can be hit and miss in September and they can have some wacky weather. I've know it snow in Calgary in the first week of September, unlike here in Ottawa were we've had a few dumps of snow already this past week......it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas :D

After seven years away this goose is emigrating back to England. I shall be back just before xmas and opening the JAA pandora box.

Cheers,
CG

:)

ABO944
29th Nov 2002, 16:52
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to do some hours building over in Canada ?? Do I need to have a licence conversion or anything like that?

Thanks in advance

Tim

SpiralDive
29th Nov 2002, 18:38
Piece of cake! Show up with your license and give them your 45 bucks. Probably worth giving them a call before you go though.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/howdoi/2.htm

Have fun!

carb
30th Nov 2002, 00:05
I don't think that webpage is quite up-to-date. It's still straight-forward to gain the privilege of flying Canadian aircraft, but, I believe now they just issue a temporary (1-year or less) validation certificate, and to get it you'll need to hand them a written letter explaining what your intentions are, what kind of flying you propose (that would be "private recreational flying"!).

Dupre
30th Nov 2002, 02:52
You can get a foreign licence validation without any exams, but I do recommend doing the PSTAR test - 50 multi-choice questions, after a day or two study.

I've flown light aircraft in 4 countries, and they have ALL had differences, which though they might seem minor, CAN cause problems.

The PSTAR is free, and the 50 questions are just a selection of a total of 200 questions - so understand the 200 and you'll be fine (the 200 cover almost everything of importance).

That's my tuppence worth!

Dupre.

AerBabe
30th Nov 2002, 21:29
Try searching in the Private Flying forum. There have been a couple of threads in the last few months :) Good luck.

Canada Goose
1st Dec 2002, 14:31
Tim,

Dupre is along the right lines wrt the PSTAR, however it is mandatory. Other than that I believe it's a case of showing your licence and medical and getting a Canadian licence for a nominal fee .......

Good luck, there's good flying to be had .......

Cheers,
CG:)

gar_can27
4th Aug 2003, 02:43
after 16 months of hell doing atpls i am now finished and need about 70 hours solo before starting cpl/ir. im thinking of going to canada and wondering if any one has been there recently and knows of any good places to do this at.i will be trying to go in the next few weeks so would appreciate any views on the subject

thanks

minus273
4th Aug 2003, 04:43
Hi there,

Well I did all my initial training in Canada and just got back a couple of months ago after doing the ATPL. I did all the training at the Moncton Flight College in New Brunswick. Very nice people and reasonable prices.

They have a web site I believe with prices etc.

You may want to go soon as weather will start to get bad later in year.

The admin lady will help you get it all sorted out. Her name is Elise.

I was able to get a room from her next to airport in shared house for can$150 for 2 weeks.

http://www.mfc.nb.ca/

Well hope that helps.

pittss2b
4th Aug 2003, 08:55
Harv's Air is very setup for international students and working toward JAA approval. http://www.harvsair.com Excellent rates, on site accomodations, better weather.

yycpilot
11th Aug 2003, 23:49
I am a Brit pilot living here in Calgary.
If anyone is interested in either hour building
or training I can be contacted for either
training organisations or accomodation
as I have a room for rent approximately 20kms
from either the International airport or nearby
smaller airfields.

strafer
29th Aug 2003, 18:12
I'm looking to do some hour-building and would like to go flying in America, Jr. However, I can't go until January/February, so (possibly very stupid question) is there anywhere in Canada where the weather is suitable at that time of year? I'm not bothered about the cold, so long as it's mostly sunny.

PS America, Jr was first said by Homer Simpson, and he used to be an astronaut.

Jinkster
29th Aug 2003, 18:44
Kin cold I would imagine, probably central canada is clear (not sure but using knowledge of land masses - away from the sea)

Canada Goose
29th Aug 2003, 23:57
Strafer,

It is cold, don't expect daytimes highs to get above zero C. I was back in Canada on business in early March and on my first morning in Ottawa at 7am it was -31C feelign like -43C with the windchill. These are very cold temps and certainly not the norm for early March. They did have a long cold winter this year - seems like I timed it right to repatriate myself !

All this said, some of the best flying can be had in winter. Good air density and viz +50m ...... If you're still keen on flying in Canada, you can try the Ottawa Flying Club www.ofc.ca ...... or maybe something in Montreal or Toronto. Montreal is a great place ! The west coast although milder is dull and rainy in winter so unless you're thinking of IFR, I'd pass on that, even though it's beautiful !

Good luck.
Cheers,
CG:ok:

Dick Whittingham
30th Aug 2003, 04:50
Except in Vancouver, where it is cold and wet, Canada is very cold in winter. I did some flight training at Portage la Prairie (where?) and we used to stop flying at 20 below because the hoods would warp and wouldn't shut. We operated off frozen snow with no prob at those temps, and had some good fine wx. Min temp was minus 70 farenheit one morning, as the Arctic front dipped down over Manitoba. Give my love to the Assineboine hotel.

Dick W

pittss2b
30th Aug 2003, 10:40
We fly right through the winter. Last year we had about 320 VFR days. When it's cold, the air is clear, and the flying pleasent once you get going.

Adam
www.harvsair.com

paco
31st Aug 2003, 20:55
You took the words right out of my mouth, Adam!

Phil

grundog
8th Sep 2003, 03:25
Hi All,

Back in October I posted stuff about my move to Canada to complete my CPL and Instructor rating. Well its all done and work permit in hand - so it can be done!!
Don't let the nay sayers grind you down!!!

Working at a school in BC right next to the Rockies so if anyone is looking to Canada for flight training or licenses then please feel free to PM me and I'll supply all the info you want.

Top tip for all concerned - If you want to hour build or go for a licence, don't go for the US. Its cheaper and easier (paperwork wise) in Canada!!!!

Cheers all & best of luck

:ok:

yycpilot
8th Sep 2003, 09:07
Where are you Instructing.

NineEighteen
8th Sep 2003, 22:48
Well done grundog,

I'm thinking of visiting Canada for some 'serious' hour building.Top tip for all concerned - If you want to hour build or go for a licence, don't go for the US. Its cheaper and easier (paperwork wise) in Canada!!!! How about the weather in Canada? I'm 'all for' a bit of unpredictable weather but is it usually good enough to fly fairly regularly?

pittss2b
9th Sep 2003, 04:05
The best weather in Canada in in the praries, the worst weather is by the coast. When the weather is cold, it's clear.

We have about 320 VFR days a year.

grundog
9th Sep 2003, 08:44
Hey all,

Thanks for the nice PMs I got from alot of people.
As for the weather Pitts2b is quite right (as he normally is), the prairies are normally good but incredibly cold in the Winter. East and West coasts can be pretty ropey at certain times of the year.
Here in BC on the East side of the Rockies we have just had an excellent Summer. The winters are also cold and yes just like the prairies its snow alot. At least in BC you can dig out the skis and hit the slopes on a down day :)

School details available at www.gnfs.ca. Cx out the new Diamond C1 Evolution arriving this week!!

Any more questions, just fire away.

Canada Goose
9th Sep 2003, 17:01
Good luck Grundog ...... you lucky dog !

Time to crack open the Kokanees ehh !?

Cheers,
CG.
;)

eyuppp
24th Jun 2004, 15:05
Hi all,

As anyone got any experience of hour building in Canada? Whats it like? How does it compare with the US? Would you recommend it over the US?

Thanks in advance

E:ok:

YYZ
24th Jun 2004, 15:52
Eyupp eyuppp

Guess you’re a Yorkshire Lad??

I have intensions of going to Canada to hour build as I have family there and accommodation is free:}

I have not looked into it too far yet but can I suggest you place this question on the Canada forum aswell?

Or on one of the Canadian specific web sites? The more the merrier

Enjoy
YYZ

eyuppp
25th Jun 2004, 07:30
Eyuppp YYZ :D

Aye, I am (from nr Skipton originally)

I see from you're profile you're based in Leeds. Do you fly out of Leeds/Bradford? I've got a friend who lives out in Canada, so it might save a bit on accomodation (more flying) :} so similar situation to you with family out there. Where are they based? I was thinking of round Ottawa, haven't researched it much yet (as you can probably tell :O )

Out of interest, I haven't started ATPL studies yet, but who are you doing your course with?

Good luck with the ATPL

E

eyuppp
25th Jun 2004, 12:05
Sorted:ok: Check your PM

E

Chintito
28th Jun 2004, 14:39
Ive got 70 hours to pile up before i start the CPL course and was wondering if any of you guys had any experience of flight school in Ontario, Ca you could recommend?

Ive never been stateside and dont have any idea on the living costs etc so if someone can give a rough idea as to how much i should budget for living costs and accomodation for a 2/3 weeks stay id be grateful.
im looking for something reasonably cheapy.

thanks

YYZ
28th Jun 2004, 14:54
My Bro-in-law went to Here (http://www.flybrampton.com/club/) & he had no problems.

Was a few years ago though & things change quickly

Do not know about living costs, sorry.

YYZ

Chintito
13th Jul 2004, 13:55
can anyone give me some tips on the whole canadian flying expeience. im about to make my first trip over there to clock some hours up before my CPL.
i havent decided which school im going to yet but would like to hang about in the toronto area so again if anyone can recommend any schools there it'd help me greatly.

hour much shoudl i looking at for a 70 hour block rate on a 172/PA28?

if anyones going there soon, pls PM me.

Thanks

Trislander
13th Jul 2004, 18:40
Hi mate,

was looking into this a while back but never got round to it.

Try a google search on Waterloo-Kitchener Airport
and Brampton Flight Center.

Both of these in close proximity to YYZ.

Due to favourable exchange rates for us brits the flying over there is about half the cost! (1 CA$ = 0.5 GB£)

Also worth lookin at is the Transport Canada website and the Canada forum here on PPRuNe.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Cheers, Tri:ok:

YYZ
14th Jul 2004, 07:51
Try a google search on Waterloo-Kitchener Airport, Both of these in close proximity to YYZ.

:confused: WHERE:confused:

I have been told before these two are near me but i keep turning around and nothing, Im confused....:{

Dan761
14th Jul 2004, 17:34
Hey as you can see from my profile i Moved out to Toronto to learn how to fly and ended up instructing over there up untill last August. I did all my flying out of the island airport, and although its more expensive than Brampton etc the view is great!! But bear in mind that you have to pay for parking and the ferry, which was about $5 when i left. It does get very busy there too which you might like because it keeps you on your toes. And then there is the girl at shell........
Pm me if you want to know more, anybody...:)

divorcingjack
29th Jul 2004, 10:22
hi there,

I am hoping to head out to somewhere in canada very shortly (possibly beginning sept) to do another 100 hours or so before I start my canadian CPL/IR. Have you decided on a school yet ? Do you know what the weather will be like around that time of year ?
One more question - if you have a JAA PPL, what is the procedure for converting to a canadian one ?

Thanks and best of luck for your hourbuilding !

dj

Flyingspaniard
29th Jul 2004, 15:11
Hey Dan I think I met you there a while back. You probably don't remember me, but I was an English guy over there asking about CPL conversions etc. Good to hear you got all your licenses ( I think you were still training when I was there).

I did loads of hour building out in Southern Ontario last year. I can recommend every one of the establishments that I used.

A huge thank you would go to the people at Peninsulair who I can't recommend highly enough, in particular to Jamie (instructor) who took me under his wing and helped me to get ready for my commercial exam often without charge. These guys are based in Hamilton airport which is a great training airfield because although it is fully instrument equipped, GA doesn't pay for using the facilities. They're rates for hire were something in the region of 70CAD per hour which I think translates to about £30 and this was for the cherokee. I was flying in winter time and the ground staff were always out there with the aircraft, towing them on to the apron and getting the jet heaters plugged in ready for you to start. Charming people the canucks! This field is about 1hr from TO city centre.

Next place I used was St Thomas flight centre. I wanted to do twin hour building as well and using their apache I logged 20 hours P1 at a rate of about 180CAD per hour which again is fantastic value for money. It so happens that I did the most challenging flight of my life in this aircraft Single Pilot Multi Engine IFR (in actual IMC conditions) to a remote airfield in lake country.

Last place I used was Sudbury Aviation. I actually went there to get a float rating and again commend them for their professionalism and expertise. This was a real learning curve for me but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

My tips are these:

1.I don't know your experience levels, but if you can get your multi rating renewed before you get out there. If its on your JAA license then it will be added to your permit over there meaning you can take advantage of the outrageously cheap hire costs and get hours that you would never be able to afford in the UK.

2.I found Canada to be a very officious country. If you can get your paperwork done before you go you will save yourself a lot of time and trips to the Transport Canada offices. The transport canada website is a great place to start.

3.Make sure you challenge yourself whilst hourbuilding there. There is an awful lot of open space and it can be quite tempting to just avoid the controlled airspace. During my trip over, I landed at Ottawa International, Rochester New York, Windsor and so on. These airports are comparable to say Luton, Stanstead, Birmingham and London City. Great practice and experience to bring with you on your commercial course.

4.Less of a tip and more of a commentary.... I found that Canadians have a very practical approach to flying in order to cater for the fact that so many people are pilots out of necessity. They deal with all sorts of weather conditions (very cold minus 20degrees was common when I was there), they fly all manor of aircraft (float, ski, amphibious) in all kinds of roles - crop spraying, pipeline surveys, forest firefighting, search and rescue, mountain flying, med supplies, hunting trips etc. An example of a pilot over there... I met a guy whilst doing my float rating. He flies out in his DH float beaver once a week on average to catch himself a moose (or whatever's in season I guess) that he brings back and sells to the local butcher. I saw him with my own eyes pulling a carcus out of the plane with disbelief. He does his own maintenance and he was telling me at the time that he was bringing the plane in to get the skis put on for winter. You can't help but find these guys inspiring. What they don't know about aviation isn't worth knowing and you'll love the stories they have to tell.

PM me if there's anything I can help you with.

Cheers and good luck.
FS

Prospect
30th Jul 2004, 21:46
FlyingSpaniard

I can agree with you about pulling out a dead moose from a dehavilland beaver as I have done this myself several times whilst flying floats in northern Canada.

Chintito

As for hour building in Ontario there are a lot of options. Most school charge a relatively same rate for aircraft rentals. Near the Toronto area I would recommed Spectrum Airways out of Burlington. You don't have to pay a membership to rent airplanes contrary to other flight schools. They don't have many airplanes but the people are nice and it's not too busy at the uncontrolled airport. here is the link http://www.spectrumairways.com I think the rental rate for a C-172 is about $120 Canadian.

Have a good time in Canada it's a great place but bring some warm clothes for the upcoming winter

finals40
26th Sep 2004, 22:14
Hi Guys!

Looking to head out to Canada in mid Jan 05 to build a few hours and just have fun flying. Not sure where...but thinking of Harvs air. Would love to do a few cross country trips..like fly to Vancouver..know it will be cold but should be different. Would be great to hear from any one who would be interested in some thing similar?

My mail is [email protected].

Cheers

A

flyndad
27th Sep 2004, 03:27
Hi There,
I am a Brit who moved to Canada seven years ago.
When I came over I completed my Commercial licence and then Instructor rating. I am currently renewing this rating as I let it lapse a while ago and its quite a hassle getting it back.
I live in the Calgary area and I actually flew with Harvs last January, and yes, it was very cold but most of the days were VFR.
If you require any more details on the school or any other questions you may have please feel free to contact me. You will of course require a mountain check out for a trip across the rocks to Vancouver.

divorcingjack
1st Oct 2004, 15:45
Hi there,

I am actually at Harvs Air at the minute and cannot recommend them highly enough. I am hourbuilding and doing CPL/MEIR - the school is very well run and all the instructors are fantastic and actually want to do their job rather than just building hours and waiting for a right hand seat. This is one of the schools most valuable assets. The runway is "challenging", but hey, if you can land here, your landings anywhere else will be fab ! There is a high ratio of aircraft to students and all are very well maintained - all in all, the best school I have been to. And no, I don't work for them ! Please PM me if you would like any further details .

Have fun (by the way, it is already getting cold here, so january will be FREEZING and I mean way below zero, but good VFR conditions. Bring boots and lots of socks !)

divorcingjack

Foz2
1st Oct 2004, 18:53
Hi,

Finals 40, I'm also looking to go out to Canada/ Florida in Jan after I finish my ATPLs. If I went to Canada, Harvsair would be my choice - they seem really helpful.

The only thing Im worried about is the weather at that time of the year. I know it will be cold but whats it like for flying? Any advce from others that have flown around there at that time of the year would be most appreciated.

Foz

flyndad
2nd Oct 2004, 15:36
I flew there last January, most days VFR with temperatures of about minus 35. Dress warm and you will have fun.
Accommodation is on site but I would request a single room if available as the school attracts a lot of foreigners who seem to be hell bent on partying until all hours. Just a little tip.

flyndad
23rd May 2005, 07:36
British guy Instructing in Western Canada can offer advice on flight training, hour building requirements. Feel free to e mail me.

SuperAviator
10th Nov 2005, 21:02
Hi all,

I'm a low time FAA PPL(H) pilot. I'm just about to complete ATPL groundschool here in the UK & now have the daunting challenge of finding a reputable school abroad in order to achieve 100hrs(sfh).

I'm just wondering if anybody has had the opportunity of hour building in Canada?.

If so, I would really appreciate any advice along with the good/bad experiences that you may have had during your training.

cheers...

Soleil
19th Nov 2005, 15:36
Hi SuperAviator,

Here are some places you might want to look into in Canada:
1. Laurentide Aviation Ltd
They have been in business since the late 1940's and are located just west of Montreal, in Cedres. The runway was actually built to minimize crosswind T/O and landings

2. Cornwall Aviation
Located in Cornwall, Ontario, they are minutes from the US border, and 45min drive from Montreal and about an hour's drive from Ottawa. They had a student residence (this was years ago) they may still have this available.

3. BarXH Aviation
Located in Medicine Hat, Alberta, about a 3 hr drive from Calgary. A/C prices were cheaper than in Montreal. The weather in Medicine Hat is dry with few IFR days.

I know of these places personnally and would recommend any of them.

4. You might also look into Moncton Flight Center, they are now running a JAA program. I don't know them personnally but have heard good things.

Good luck

SuperAviator
19th Jan 2006, 11:30
Hi all,

I currently hold a PPL(H) & have just recently completed ATPL groundschool. I am off to Canada @ the end of this month to gain a further 100 hrs on my license. I shall be based on the western coast in British Columbia.

I have spent countless hours revising my routes & trips on the places & things that are of interest for me personally, but was wondering if anybody else has suggestions (from your own experiences) on places that are a must to visit?

I plan on making the most of out of my hours, with plenty of cross country exercises.

Much appreciated
SA

PeterDublin
19th Jan 2006, 11:39
Can you tell how much they gonna charge you in canada per hour?
How would you compare canada to south africa or new zealand ,price wise.
Thanks

SuperAviator
19th Jan 2006, 13:50
Hi Peter,

I'll start by saying that in no way can I compare Canada to New Zealand or South Africa. I didn't really research or allow myself the option. In all honesty I wanted to go to Canada all along.

I guess I didn't want to travel as far a field as New Zealand & I have been to South Africa for a holiday. Whilst there I had the privilege of taking to the controls of a Jetranger while I was sightseeing Table mountain from the air.

The cost per hour where I am pursuing my flying in Canada is $430.00. Not the cheapest by far, however i've visited Canada a few times & I always told myself that I'd be back to conquer the land by air.

It's Slightly more expensive in canada. I have allowed for this in all aspects. Whereas I am familiar with the R22 model helicopter. The school that I shall be with primarily chooses to fly the Schweizer 300cbi. This is totally new to me, so I have given myself a new challenge.

Another reason for choosing Canada is for the similarities that it bears with the UK. With all the knowledge & experience I achieve flying in Canada I hope to bring this back to the UK & apply it during my CPL/IR.

Hope this helps.
SA

Nimbus5
20th Jan 2006, 14:14
SuperAviator,

You may be getting ripped off. A 300 CBI is IFR certified and will cost more per hour than you need spend for hour building. Go to Canada by all means, but find a school using 300CBs instead of CBIs.

Technically, you are not getting ripped off as the 300CBI costs more to operate. It is just not necessary to have the fancy kit for hour building.

SuperAviator
21st Jan 2006, 11:34
Thankyou Nimbus5,

Your viewpoint is very valid & I take heed, howerever there is a very good reason why I have opted to train on the 300CBI.

I have very low time hours & experience using instruments. The school in Canada is very aware of this & I have arranged with them to give me approx 20 hours of instruction as part of the building process. This will prove very effective to me for when the time comes for when I proceed my IR.

I have now confirmed & paid my deposit with the school in Canada. So far I don't have any regrets with the decision I have made. My reasoning is that even though the training helicopter is kitted out for IFR purposes, I shall make the very most out of what I have got.

SA