PDA

View Full Version : The Way Forward.

R E Darse
24th Jun 2004, 10:28
I would be grateful if someone could advise me on the best course of action one should take when breaking into the airline business.

If one had 1000 Mil rotary hours, Frozen ATPL (A) with about 300(ish) fixed wing hours MCCC, Flight Safety experience etc etc - It doesn't make one stand out as being wondrously employable.

What does one have to do to build experience? Is instructing at a club? Cargo Companies? I genuinely don't know how best to position myself for the bigger companies in years to come.

Is it worth going for the big companies straight away? How long will it realistically take to get established?

I have prepared for a long slog, but advice to shorten the struggle is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:confused:

Pilot Pete
25th Jun 2004, 16:02
RE D

The biggest thing to NOT do is limit yourself to only one course of action. Keep all your options open; apply to the big boys who are known to have taken guys on like you in their past. For instance (age dependent) my company, Britannia have taken chaps with your kind of hours straight on to 757s. Also persue the cargo/ taxi/ instructing routes. Have a plan of action with cut-off dates to achieve 'A', before following the 'less ideal' plan 'B'. Let me explain. When I qualified I set myself a target of 3 months applying to every UK airline to get a job. When the 3 months were up I had already decided on plan 'B' which was to get more hours, the quickest and best way for me was flying instructing, so during the three months I had already researched the FI options and booked a course up. After 2.5 months I knew nothing was going to come of my airline applications so went firm on the FI course.

This lead to an air taxi job which, 18months later allowed me to apply for plan 'A' options again, this time successfully due to more hours.

The market is certainly improving, I know lots of guys who are now getting jobs, with varying levels of experience. the one thing they all seem to have in common is that they are 'making' it happen by being pro-active, using the above method. In fact I have just had a chap email me today to tell me that after following the above advice and doing an FI rating (after some time with no flying and therefore still low hours) he has had exactly the same break as me and has just got my old 'Flying Eye' job!! Understandably he is pretty excited by the prospect of getting his hands on a twin low level over Glasgow!

So do seek out all possibilities and formulate that plan. Network like hell (what are all your old 'mob' mates doing now?) and you will hear of more possibilities. With your military hours (even though they are rotary) you will stand out to many employers as someone with a proven track record. Trick is to test the water and find out what you think you can get and then strive like hell for it, but do have 'plan B' standing by as there is nothing worse than being in the same position 12 months later still hoping for plan A to come off.........

Best of luck.

PP

R E Darse
25th Jun 2004, 16:08
PP,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the trouble to reply.

The advice you give is sound and conforms to that of others. The reason I ask the experts is that over a period of time, threads of similarity will appear.

Is one likely to be considered for a twin instructional job or is it realistic that you'll end up with SEP?

Fly safely.

Regards