PDA

View Full Version : So you think you had a bad day!

hobie
23rd Jun 2004, 21:45
20th June .....

...... "N350SW, B737 ACFT, WAS PUSHED BACK FROM GATE 15 INCORRECTLY CAUSING UNDETERMINED NOSE GEAR DAMAGE, THEN ON REPOSITIONING, ACFT STRUCK THE JET BLAST FENCE WITH THE WING TIP, NO INJURIES REPORTED, PASSENGERS DEPLANDED, PROVIDENCE, RI"

:( :( :(

av8boy
23rd Jun 2004, 22:08
Thought exactly the same thing when I saw it! :(

lamina
23rd Jun 2004, 23:36
I think I'd get a taxi home after that!!:uhoh:

Yorky Towers
24th Jun 2004, 00:23
Ye. so thats a bad day........:hmm:

Rollingthunder
24th Jun 2004, 06:56
This goes back a few years...

A310 outside hangar doing engine run ups.

At some point during run up the aircraft had enough power on to jump the chocks.

No brakes. No nosegear steering.

Throttles back but momentum had taken over. Aircraft goes nose first into stand/jack storage building on the side of the ramp.

No injuries. Lots and lots of damage.

bacardi walla
24th Jun 2004, 06:59
I'll get me coat :uhoh:

Ozzy
24th Jun 2004, 12:58
Sure you've seen it before, but why not have another look. This is mechanics having a REALLY BAD DAY! (http://www.cargolaw.com/2000nightmare_n.w._brakes.html). Scroll down to see the pictures. Year was 2000 at Newark.

Ozzy

Kaddyuk
24th Jun 2004, 13:02
I think I am going to sit down and shut up moaning lmao

Boss Raptor
24th Jun 2004, 19:47
Libreville Gabon - early 90's as I recall

C130 in the military hangar - local Air Force engineer showing his gf what a smart cockpit he has - starts at least 1 engine maybe more - acft proceeds to ram through the hangar door leaving a nice C130 with prop holes shape through said door - just like a cartoon...amazing :ok:

Mr Chips
24th Jun 2004, 23:18
May I share this one with you… courtesy of Readers Digest

Asking his father in law, a crop duster, how his day had gone, an acquaintance received the reply, “Terrible. This morning I was up in my plane dusting a field when I clipped an electricity cable and damaged a wing. When I got back to the office, my boss tore me off a strip. Then a man from the flight authority told me off again. On my way home I stopped off at a pub and was handed a warm lager. I shouted ‘ don’t you have any cold beer?’ at the landlord. He said, ‘sorry but we’ve had no electricity all day. Ever since some idiot crop duster hit a power line down the road”

bacardi walla
25th Jun 2004, 06:52
I remember back in '87 at Luton, an XP Parcels F27 was in the McAlpine hangar overnight on engine maintenance. Early morning came and it was rolled out for engine runs. GPU was plugged in and the number 1 engine fired up. The engineer powered it up but didn't realise the brakes were NOT on and the F27 duly jumped the chocks and engine number one tore into the GPU like a knife through butter....... Shame F27's aren't made by BOEING (Bits Of Engines In Neighbours Garden)

I'll get me coat....

BEagle
25th Jun 2004, 07:21
Was the following true - or just another of those 'aviation fables':

A320 being pushed back with engines running. For some reason brakes are applied, towbar weak link breaks and a/c tips slightly backwards....computers think it's near the ground at an unsafe speed and command TOGA - Airbus ends up mounting pushback tractor before it can be stopped.

catchup
25th Jun 2004, 07:37
Notebook was placed on A321 pedestal between pilots. Thrustlevers therefore moved to the most fwd extend. Minutes later engine start seemed to be appropiate. #2 was started, little noisier than usual. Master pulled down immediatly. Towbar was of a strong type.....

s...happens

Hamrah
25th Jun 2004, 07:56
BEagle,

Not quite. The incident you are referring to went more like this.

A320 Downroute with Computer fault. Captain "knows" how to reset, but it involved putting thrust levers into a mid power position. Computer reset in E & E bay, thrust levers left where they are.

Following Right engine start on pushback, engine continues accelerating to thrust lever selected power setting. Side load shears towbar and engine ends up embedded in tow truck, with very frightened driver having just got out in time.

H

bacardi walla
25th Jun 2004, 08:55
Hamrah closely followed by his brown trousers :ooh:

FlightDetent
25th Jun 2004, 10:13
Tow truck for A310 skids/spins on icy tarmac, the high inertia of A/C swings the truck so as to damage ENG1 cowling and fuselage skin on the starboard side. On a tight schedule, the bus is imediately towed to maintenace for repairs whilst local TV crew rush in to report on the "disaster".

The hangar is rather small and stowing 310 inside requires some advanced manouvering, unfortunately a wingtip gets damaged rather badly during the process. TV crews arrive. :ooh:

Country's main TV news event has it all at 7:30 p.m. with fancy graphics and stuff, PR people providing tacky excuses etc, etc. and usual bolllock horror. Yet, the media falcons failed to spot the wing broken just overhead and only saw the nacelle skin being just replaced for a brand new piece! :} Bad day for them!

hobie
25th Jun 2004, 12:00
well if you really want a "bad day" story hit this link but before you do, please recognise that no one was hurt in the incident ....

photo's and story about 1/2 way down web page.....

http://www.cargolaw.com/2000nightmare_africa_air.html

ps. thanks to ozzy for the site :ok:

John Farley
25th Jun 2004, 16:54
Makes you think that ditching in the normal landing config is not as desperate as one might think? Looks like the pylon fuses went at impact?

Does anybody know of any other ditching of a jet transport that looks to be so survivable? (other than the RAF Nimrod)

Mind you if the sea was as calm as when the pics were taken that would have helped more than somewhat

hobie
25th Jun 2004, 18:57
JF .... I was thinking exactly the same thing ...... a perfect landing ....... I would guess a Lake surface certainly helps versus an Ocean ..... I wonder if Gear Down may have helped stabilize the landing on water

cheers .....

seacue
26th Jun 2004, 12:24
Not at all funny, but on 12 May 1959, Capital Airlines (USA) had to ask callers "Which crash?".

They had a Viscount break up in a thunderstorm (31 fatalities) and a Constellation groundlooped with one pax and one crew fatality.

It doesn't get much worse than that for a single airline

broadreach
27th Jun 2004, 04:09
Seacue, I think TAM, a Brazilian airline, had two gear-up F-100 landings on the same or consecutive days back in 2002. One in a field, the other on tarmac.

Golf Charlie Charlie
28th Jun 2004, 13:21
And Air France had two serious fatal DC-4 crashes at Bahrain within 48 hours in 1950.

cessna l plate
29th Jun 2004, 19:07
Then there was JMC (Just Might Crash) at MAN a couple of years ago now.

So the story goes, 757 pushed back off stand OK. Just being pulled forward to the tug release point, when the headset man told the tug driver to move forward 10 yards. Captain overhears this, thinks he means him, and opens the taps. One of those tugs that picks the wheel up rarther than using a bar, so the aircraft began to use the tug as a ski ramp.

Tug driver does a fair impression of Linford Christie, headset guy wonders what is happening, God knows what the captain thought.

About a hour later I got the airfield, to see lots of ops people scratcing thier collective heads whilst the engineers got the airbags out. Totally S**gged the nose gear and wrote off the tug.

Now that's a B A D day!!!