PDA

View Full Version : A340 at Hawarden

Fuel Crossfeed
23rd Jun 2004, 10:52
Last Sat 19th in the afternoon I spotted an A340 doing a circuit on runway 23 at Hawarden EGNR
Anyone have a clue why it was there, I know they make the A380 wings there but I didnt think the runway would be big enough.

Squadgy
23rd Jun 2004, 16:30
BAe Open Day.

Someone also said an Easyjet landed - don't know if this was one of their new Airbuses?

Jet Dragon
28th Jun 2004, 05:31
Don't know if you'd get an A340 in and out of Hawarden but the A300-600 Beluga's get out fully loaded with no probs.

Crossfeed FYI - wings for ALL Airbus variants are manufactured at Hawarden.

cheers

JD

speedbird_heavy
28th Jun 2004, 07:47
wings for ALL Airbus variants are manufactured at Hawarden.

Not according to the Airbus Website. If you read in to it you will find that no wings are made a Hawarden. They are all made at Broughton and the wingboxes are made at Filton.

http://www.airbus.com/about/manufacturing.asp

spekesoftly
28th Jun 2004, 17:10
you will find that no wings are made a Hawarden. They are all made at Broughton......

The Broughton factory is located on the airfield at Hawarden, also sometimes referred to as 'Chester'.

Jet Dragon
28th Jun 2004, 20:52
As Spekesoftly has correctly said - the Hawarden Airport perimeter encompasses the whole of the Broughton factory.

For the record I speak with local knowledge - lived for 30 years in Broughton village, and worked 9 years at BAe.

Terminology must have changed since I left there too - the wingbox was the main portion of the wing and that was all made at Hawarden/Broughton (take your pick). Filton manufactured part of the wing equipping for the A300/A310/A320 - ie flap tracks etc.

I know the workshare has changed a bit over the last few years but the boxes are still made at BAe Chester.

cheers

JD

Taildragger
3rd Jul 2004, 16:48
I only ever flew into Hawarden once, but it was a dream come true when on first contact I called up "Hard on Approach"
I am easily pleased, but that was a goodie.!!