PDA

View Full Version : oxford app vs oxford modular full time

moo
22nd Jun 2004, 22:58
alright kids answer me this one....

I'm debating which FTO to do my ATPL staring January next year.

Please don't turn this thread into intergrated vs modular, but I have to brush the surface of it with my question...

Rather than pay £61500 plus £7000 accomodation plus expenses for Oxford's APP, why not buy it all seperately but do it full-time, i.e. back-to-back.

Full time ground school £5500
PPL + hours approx. £13000
CPL £6000
IR £13000
MCC (and JOC if you want to) £4000

Totals £41,500

add accomodation and say £5000 expenses

£53,500

instead of approx. £70,000.

Does the name APP justify £17,000 for what essentially is EXACTLY the same course?

silverknapper
22nd Jun 2004, 23:32
Do a search on that one too.
Essentailly it can't be answered without going to the mod vs int argument we bore ourselves so much with.
But I would add the post script that, touch wood things are beginning to look up on the job front, and people from modular courses not from Oxford are getting jobs. IMHO it's as simple as that. You seem to know the pros and cons yourself and I feel your post answers your question.
Now all the people who spent it and did the APP will probably try to counter this with all the marketing crap about you being more prepared for the market. Spend the 17k on a 737 or A319 type rating. Then who is more prepared?

mad_jock
23rd Jun 2004, 10:36
Seems a pretty fair summary.

Also if you din't do full time ground school you would complete faster.

PPL and hour build can be done cheaper than quoted even in the UK.

What isn't obvious with your listing is the fact that you will be coming out with nearly 25% more hours than app and if you do CPL and IR mostly in the twin about 50hours multi. And you won't have to hour build up to 200hrs if you want to go the FI route.

As a guide in 2000/2001 doing PPL and hour build in the states, modular GS CPL/IR/FI I managed to get through on about 35-40k including living expenses. And flying the line with App OAT graduates there is absoultely no difference between us. Apart from I don't have an extra 30-40k loan to service.

I am still a bit wary of paying for a type rating. From the people I know recently who have got jobs. 5k spent on a FI rating and working for a year seems to be more successful.

MJ

MJ

witchdoctor
23rd Jun 2004, 11:20
Have the APP lads/laddettes been released into the community already? Thought the first batch were only due out this month.

Funny, but on a recent visit back to OAT, the content of the APP seems to have changed quite a bit already, before the first grads are even out the doors.

Not convinced the course will last all that long once the market improves, and low hours guys/gals realise they can get jobs with just the basic qualifications. What advantage would all that extra cost buy you then? Except from being 'selected' by the totally independent internal selection boards who obviously have no hidden agenda requiring them to achieve high profile job success for the APP grads to shout about on the company website.;)

Just wondering.:D

flystudent
23rd Jun 2004, 11:57
The very first APP students will finish their MCC this week, and then it's the big bad world for them, watch this space !!

May be worth keeping an eye on the Oxford website as rumour has it there is a course about to be released that is mid way between the Modular and the APP. But nothing officially released yet

Flystudent

moo and silverknapper, the amount of airlines now expecting wannabes to pay for their type rating is significant and as you say the difference between APP and modular (financially) is in effect a type rating.

A type rating pretty useful for getting a job, an APP graduate...as yet unknown.

All eyes on what Oxford can do for them and what the Industry thinks of them.

Flystudent

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Jun 2004, 12:40
Job market for experienced folks is demented.

Doubt me?? Look at the agency ads on PPRuNe - not even type specific anymore. "Come to us please - we'll be lovely to you." is the message'' rather than the previous grovel and we might look at your CV approach.

Direct entry pilots at BA, Virgin, Emirates, SIA, Cathay - well, you get the picture.

Think long and hard before paying for anything more the basics. I include type ratings in this. I can however see an instructor's rating as something very useful in the future as standards for even teaching first aid at an airline begin to reach those required for a child minder.

Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been in an industry upswing or is making income from wannabees.

I was there in 1988/9. I was there in the mid 90's. There are thousands of pilots who can tell their story elsewhere on the site. There are times, good times, when a type rating can be a liability. The day the agency ads are no longer type specific is very important - demand is right across the board.

Your money, your choice.

Rob Lloyd

finalsforbase
23rd Jun 2004, 19:50
Just to inform you Oxford are now starting an integrated course (not APP)
aswell as the modular course
Regard
Finals

moo
23rd Jun 2004, 22:36
have you got any more details finalsforbase? I'm sure more people would go for it than for the APP...

moo
27th Jun 2004, 12:01
back to the top! my thirst is not yet satisfied! :E