PDA

View Full Version : Aussies in UK

aviator777
22nd Jun 2004, 11:55
Looking for Aussie expats working or seeking work in UK/Europe that can provide me with a local perspective of the industry. Would appreciate a view of the UK compared to Aus.

P.S. I'm at the lower end of the food chain, but would appreciate views from all levels. Working rights are obtainable. The conversion cost is the killer!!! :eek:

redsnail
22nd Jun 2004, 13:33
There's a few of us around. Some are still training, some are flying turboprops, some jets.
The cost is truly amazing. Don't expect much recognition for your Australian qualifications.
I am not sure where you're at regarding the Oz licence and hours.
If you don't have any turbine time, seriously rethink the UK.
If you don't have 500 hours in multi crew operations, seriously rethink the UK.
If you don't have a min of £3,000 to kick start your career in the UK after conversion/MCC (if required) etc, seriously rethink the UK.
Don't be lulled into what was happening in 1998-2000. 1997 was the year deregulation came into the UK and created a massive hiring boom. That boom hasn't returned although it is a lot better than it was 2 years ago.

The trend for buying your rating for your "first" or even "second" job is growing here sadly. Virgin Blue's deal is you have the job, go get the rating, now VB line train you is not bad. The rating costs ~$20K and you start on ~ $65K or so.
As far as I know no one else is charging for a rating. (possibly some freight mobs)

The equivalent is easyJet, £23K, if FO pay =~ £28K, SFO (ie ATPL) pay is ~£39 (including the £5K "pay back").
Ryanair charge for the rating. I believe bmi.baby are talking about introducing it, likewise Jet2 (hope I am wrong!!). bmi regional are charging £3K with reduced pay.

For more info regarding jobs see PPJN (http://www.ppjn.com)