PDA

View Full Version : VLM domestic expansion?

no, no, no
21st Jun 2004, 16:25
Does anyone know what VLMs plans are now in the UK from London City?

Just seen they have launched JER along side their MAN and LPL routes - does anyone think they will expand to any other UK points in the near future?

WHBM
21st Jun 2004, 17:55
Nothing announced, but there have been rumours here previously about them having a go at Isle of Man if Flibby give up this last remaining route of theirs from LCY

GrahamK
21st Jun 2004, 23:06
Heard rumours of someone doing NCL-LCY. Perhaps VLM? :confused:

EGCC24L
22nd Jun 2004, 13:38
When do the LPL and MAN - JER flights start and at what freq????

fox_trot_oscar
22nd Jun 2004, 13:53
EGCC24L,

VLM are due to operate LPL-JER?

FO
:confused:

dwlpl
22nd Jun 2004, 15:35
The Liverpool based VLM aircraft does operate a Jersey service from/to Liverpool on Saturdays as a charter.

fuzzbear01
22nd Jun 2004, 18:51
rumours rumours rumours !!!

A certain ATR operator at LCY was looking at operating NCL-LCY up to 3 rotations daily but decided not to go ahead but to the risk factor.
Due to the already large and established connections to LGW and LHR a route analysis indicated that there would be not enough business pax for the route. It's hard to attract leisure traffic through Cityand so it's potential market is limited and hence a large risk.
The massive landing fee's hardly act as a catalyst for route development anyway ! this may indicate why so many airlines are pulling out of routes-more recently FlyBe, it's high cost business model does not fit that of many small airlines with it's cost base stagnating more routes - it's a shame!
From what I gather its suffered the effects of 9/11 hard but with BA/EI , BE and a reduction in 6G services it only seems to be VLM and Sair making a go of it !

any thoughts from anyone ?

Cheers

:O

Waveman
22nd Jun 2004, 22:02
I'm sure a NCL-LCY would do well - the BA LHR flights in particular are very busy - several flights I tried to get recently were grossly oversold - one had 23 on standby! Usual airbus often replaced with 757 or 76s due demand. LCY nice route for a 328/F50/AT4 or D8.

Dragon Leader
24th Jun 2004, 18:13
Fuzzbear,

I see from your profile that you hold a CPL. It must be very frustrating sat in front of that computer screen in the reservations centre when you are so highly qualified.

We know who you are ;)

DL :p

HZ123
26th Jun 2004, 19:48
VLM has reputedly met with RAL with the intention of setting up at SEN in 2005 once the new terminal is approved.

WHBM
26th Jun 2004, 20:23
VLM has reputedly met with RAL with the intention of setting up at SEN in 2005 once the new terminal is approved.This would be a surprise, as the catchment areas of London City and Southend overlap considerably, and Stansted is dominant in the area too. I know VLM have a relationship with Southend (they use it for LCY weather diversions) but I can't see them making a year round go of it.

Those flights of a generation ago from Southend to the near continent were generally bargain-priced trips (not VLMs style) and most of the pax came out from London, who now have better options. Whenever I fly into SEN myself I always walk out through that empty, echoing terminal, which is not that old, and feel the market has moved on.

But they did sign my PPL QXC so I have a soft spot for them !