PDA

View Full Version : I.R. in Ireland ?

alec
4th Jun 2004, 20:42
Has anyone recently completed or is in the middle of doing their MEIR in an approved JAA school in Ireland, such as National Flight Centre, PTC or Sky Trace.

Trying to see if the extra £8000 euros is worth spending going across to England, exchange rate accomadation food e.t.c

FLYbyWIT
4th Jun 2004, 23:14
Just for your info skytrace is part of PTC. As for where to do it well I opted for the UK and did spend a whole lot more. The two Flight tests differ (IAA/CAA) in a number of areas not hugely but none the less they differ. I may get blown out of the water for this but as I have done the CAA MEIR and I am backseating over hear for one or two guys doing there IAA MEIR and even in discussion with them on comparrisons the CAA MEIR test is a tad harder or harsher in requirements ever so slightly, and the instructor has agreed also so I aint the only one sharing this opinion. But back to the topic question it aint gonna matter alot, it may be an issue depending on your CPL state of issue in persuming you have one if not then your ppl state of issue.
In the end you get the same ticket "apparently" all smooty with JAA across the board but it can cause issues i.e for a CAA type rating examiner to train or check you out
I think you must be of the same state issue, not sure but I know easyjet require you to go through the paper work if its a non CAA issued license (just hassle).
Without naming any particular Irish FTO's you can and most likely will get pi55ed off with a "non professional approach" from many you encounter,its the same with alot of places but you gotta watch out, Speaking from experience and other peoples opinions also so I aint aimlessly slinging abuse. Good luck whatever.

My names Turkish
5th Jun 2004, 09:10
Flybywit, I'll try and clarify a few points you make. If the person in question has an IAA CPL, and does and IAA IR and then wants to gain employment with a British airline they will need to convert to a CAA licence. This, to the best of my knowledge is a paperwork, and money!, exercise. The reason for this is so the type rating examiner who is CAA licenced can sign off your paperwork for the TR which he or she could not do to an IAA licence.

If the candidate in question has done his/her CPL in Britian or Florida, where all the schools are working in the CAA system, and hence have a CAA CPL then they will be able to do the IAA IR without converting their CAA CPL. The reason is that it is a rating and not a licence and because of the close ties between the CAA and IAA they will except each others ratings. So you will have a CAA CPL/IR, it wont say on the licence where you did the rating just that you have it.

I cant comment on the "non professional approach, as I havent attended ay of the Irish FTOs yet, but I am planning to do the IR here. A friend of mine has just finished his IR with a school in cork and had very good things to say about them, preofessionalism being one of them.

To alec: I will as I said be doing my IR shortly. I have done a lot of research into where to do. I am in a slightly different situation of having to do a conversion from FAA but the points are still the same. The major point is price. With the present exchange rates doing it in the UK is considerably more expensive. In fact I estimated that the average spend by students in the UK is about Stg 13,000 plus Test Fees. Your looking at almost the same numerical amount for doing it in Ireland but to convert 13 K sterling to Euro nyou need to multiply by 1.5. So a big difference as you can see. In fact 13K STG is EUR 19,595 so a big difference in price. Use this:Currency Convertor (http://www.xe.com/ucc/)

I have a little bit of contempt for the CAA IR. I know it is a very hard test but I think its a bit pompous. They seem to fail people for very trivial things. From what I hear the IAA one is a bit more realistic of what they expect and use real world tolerances.

I'll have to stop writing these 5,000 word posts, thats the second in so many days, I'll get feckin banned!:rolleyes: :bored:

IRISHPILOT
5th Jun 2004, 16:46
Hi there.

My recently completed UK rating has just been added to my Irish licence, no questions asked. Of course a JAA examiner can sign your Irish JAA licence, on my licence it says: "Issues and renewals of expired ratings may only be entered by IAA". Revalidations however, can be entered by any JAA examiner. A friend of mine flew for a BA franchise and they signed his checks in the UK.

The IAA will accept ratings from many other countries (remember though, JAR are not law, so consult the IAA beforehand).

My groundschool and test were in English and about 25% cheaper in the Czech Republic, so maybe that would be worth giving a thought? Or sunny Croatia (Lufthansa / intercockpit.de) or Slovenia, etc. etc. for that matter? (Is Malta JAR yet?)

regards, IP

ZINIDINE
21st Jun 2004, 13:57
hi there !

maybe someone can help me.
I did my CPL at tayflite in perth... they were brilliant,would love to do my IR there too only been from eire, living in the UK for 8 weeks or so would probably be my financial ruin.............

what about NFC in weston ?
would this be false economy ?
Is flight training in Ireland as bad as everyone says ?

your views on this would be much appreciated

Squak2002
21st Jun 2004, 14:17
Hello,

I am a good bit away from my IR but I have been doing a bit of investigation into it. I was very impressed with the set-up in Pilot Training College of Ireland (www.ptc.ie) down in Waterford.

Nice aircraft and very helpful people running the place. They would be more than happy to show you around. They are worth a look up.

NFC are still growing and improving out in Weston. The IR they
provide seem to do the job from the people who have finished up there. But it's a bit strange that Weston don't have a NDB or ILS
but still offer an IR, maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Also, I believe that a place in Cork called Atlantic Flight Training provide IR. I haven't looked too much into them yet, but will do so soon.
(http://www.atlanticair.ie)

Best of Luck
John

ZINIDINE
21st Jun 2004, 14:24
thanks john.

ill check out PTC.

Shamrock 321
22nd Jun 2004, 00:15
I did some flying with PTC in Waterford and at that time, NFC were using the ILS & NDB approaches at Waterford with their twin.

mike halls
22nd Jun 2004, 10:39
Hey Fellow Pilots,

I went to ptc about 4 months ago and they were great,
good aircraft as well as the gang that runs the place.
recommend them to anyone.

safe flying

mike

FireFoxDown
23rd Jun 2004, 11:49
NFC use their twin engine Duchess and do the IR,as was stated, at Waterord airport. They may do it in a C172 too but im not sure ...

PaddyMcGinty
23rd Jun 2004, 20:57
Have you converted your CPL to an Irish licence because as far as i was concerned i thought that you had to do your professional training with the one body, eg do your CPL, IR and ATPLs with the CAA or the IAA. I remember i posted a thread about this before and that is what i was told. I'm irish also but i'm doing my ATPLs with Bristol and am presuming that i have to do the rest of my training in the UK.

Stephen

darragh_ptc
24th Jun 2004, 11:47
Stephen

I have sent you a PM on this topic.

Cheers

Darragh Owens

Pilot Training College of Ireland

ZINIDINE
24th Jun 2004, 14:26
So if i did the CPL in the UK does this mean i cant do the IR in Ireland ?

Send Clowns
24th Jun 2004, 14:36
Close - the fact that you did your ATPL exams under the CAA is probably more critical. You could always have your CPL issued then transfer it to Ireland. Then ask the IAA if they will accept your UK exams, and the CAA if they're happy with that. A lot of fuss, and I'm not sure you will be able to do it so talk to the IAA and CAA first.

Alex Whittingham
24th Jun 2004, 14:47
I'm told that the IAA used to accept UK CAA JAA ATPL passes for Irish JAA license issue but have now changed their mind and take the view that, if you want a CPL issued in Ireland, you have to do all your training there. This is second hand info, so it would bear checking.

The IR, on the other hand, is not required for CPL license issue. As an additional rating it can be flown under any JAA state's jurisdiction. You should be able to do an IR in Ireland and tag it on to a UK issued CPL.

Send Clowns
24th Jun 2004, 15:33
Would the IR exam passes be needed in Ireland though, Alex?

Alex Whittingham
24th Jun 2004, 15:40
Good question. I don't know.

Flypuppy
24th Jun 2004, 15:53
The IR is a Rating and as Alex says you can do the IR anywhere that offers a JAA Instrument Rating.

When I checked according to the CAA and their Dutch equivalent the exam passes are valid for the issue of the IR, regardless of where you sat the exams.

The best bet is to phone the authorities and get someone to put in black and white, these things have a nasty habit of changing at short notice.

pipergirl
15th Sep 2005, 14:24
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing the ME/IR in PTC in Waterford or in National Flight Centre in Weston?

I was considering doing my CPL in the states and then coming back and continue working (on a part-time basis) and train for my ME/IR at the same time

I know that it will probably end up costing a bit more, but i just don't want to get a large loan to fund the ME/IR-
I'd rather just pay for it as i went along

Any thoughts?

GoldenMonkey
15th Sep 2005, 14:50
That's what I did.... Continued working and did IR in evenings/weekends. I did it at Stapleford. This was through the winter. It does drag on but I didn't want to get a loan either. You have to be prepared to be frustrated, which to be honest is not bad preparation for the subsequent job hunting phase!!
You also have to do a bit more arm chair flying so as not to get too rusty between slots.

birdlady
15th Sep 2005, 15:01
Piper Girl,

Im not too sure about this but I believe you might have a problem with an american issued JAA CPL as its really issued in England. I would check with the IAA just to make sure its recognised and you wont have to retest. Im not too sure about this but I would double check just in case. I wanted to do my ATP's through bristol and was told as its an english JAA licence the IAA may have a problem with it eventhough its JAA too.
I would however suggest you save up the cash and then do the ME/IR as opposed to doing it part time. It will stop you from getting rusty and as we all know at 400euros an hr we wouldnt want to be getting a little rusty......... :ok: :ok: :ok:

conor_mc
15th Sep 2005, 17:20
birdlady,

I think your problem is with doing the ATPL theory and CPL training in two separate jurisdictions - as both parts constitute the Commmercial Pilots Licence.

The ME and IR are seperate ratings, not licences, and so may be undertaken in any JAA country and added to a licence issued by another JAA country.

cm

birdlady
16th Sep 2005, 16:04
Thanks..... just wanted to make sure....... JAA is all very confusing.......... :hmm: :hmm:

pipergirl
18th Sep 2005, 20:41
thanks for the replies people...
any views/advice from people in Ireland who have done this would be appreciated :)

Farrell
20th Sep 2005, 21:25
just my tuppence worth pipergirl, but if you can afford it, i think it would be a good idea to attach your ME at the end of your CPL training. It only takes about a week.

good luck

Farrell :ok:

pipergirl
21st Sep 2005, 10:15
sorry typo on my part-
that's what I have planned to do(tis MUCH cheaper and quicker), just looking for info regarding the IR part of it

so, has irish ppruners had firsthand experience of doing a ME/IR in Ireland??!

anyone, anyone?

Banon
21st Sep 2005, 23:29
piper....check ur pms

powdermonkey
23rd Sep 2005, 05:44
Hi Piper

I'm doing my ATPL theory in NFC right now and will be doing hour building then CPL afterwards. Will do my Me/Ir after that.
If you do your CPL in US in a Jar school, it will be through the UK system, and will need to do some sort of conversion for your IAA licence, it may be only paper work, not sure. Did you already do your ATPL's, if so that determines what country you do your CPL in.
I will more than likely do CPL in Waterford and Me/Ir in Weston, as the FNPTII is reasonably priced at 145euro or thereabouts.
Best of luck

pipergirl
23rd Sep 2005, 10:53
If you do your CPL in US in a Jar school, it will be through the UK system, and will need to do some sort of conversion for your IAA licence, it may be only paper work, not sure. Did you already do your ATPL's, if so that determines what country you do your CPL in.

I have already done my ATPLs in the UK and am working towards a British licence.
The Instrument Rating (or any other rating)part of the training does not require that I do the training in the same jurisdiction as licence issue. So, I can have a British Licence with an Irish instrument rating.
Thanks for your post, but I don't need any info regarding licence conversion or anything like that, I would just like some feedback from former MEIR students regarding their experiences and advice about the course.

:ok:

AndyDRHuddleston
23rd Sep 2005, 13:46
Not a problem!!! I have done both my ATPL's and JAA CPL out here in Naples, Florida, and a number of colleagues of mine have already started the IR conversion at PTC in Eire. The managing director of PTC, Mike Edgeworth, came out here a few months ago and explained to us all that it is a simple thing to do. I also know of 4 Irish guys thats did the same back in early 2005, and all 4 are now training on the 737-800 with Ryanair!

Hope this helps

ADRH

Edited as I hadnt read your final post!! - Info for all others reading!