PDA

View Full Version : Engine master off!

flyjet
21st Jun 2004, 03:06
Hi!
Gentlemen!
I just finished my first upgrading training,
I'm curious of one thing what my instructor point.
He said,
"sequence of turn off engine is #2 then #1"
the reason why cause of ground staff approaching
Right side first for offload cargo."
But,
FCOM said(I fly a321),
"ENGINE MASTER switch 1 and 2---------OFF"
Please help me,
which sequence is better ,explane me why?
(I appeciate if you attach some technical reason,also)

BN2A
21st Jun 2004, 09:32
No ground staff in his right mind would go in front of or behind a jet engine while it was still running, and ideally should wait for the anti col beacon to be turned off!!
That can't be the reason...

:confused:

alexban
21st Jun 2004, 09:52
as you said 1 and 2 off.
both engines at a time,then when N1 bellow a certain limit,anticolision light off,so the ground personnel can aproach the plane. (737)
The power is already on APU,air also,so no reason to keep one engine running longer than the other.
If you want to argue with your instructor,just to give him something to think about,you may say that the bridge is on the left side,why not switch off first the nr 1? To avoid damaging the bridge:D Just kidding,of course.

Captain Stable
21st Jun 2004, 13:26
I would suggest that, in the absence of a serviceable APU, you do need to power down Engine #2 first, to enable ground power to be connected. When that is online, you can power down #1.

I would also suggest that the FCOM checklist is not a "Read and Do" list, nor is it telling you in what order the engines should be powered down, but is simply telling you to check that you have powered both down.

Nick 1
21st Jun 2004, 17:23
I can give two reason for your question , the first came from the old prop airliner age, when passenger where approaching the plane (from left) they use to start number 4-3 engine , then 2-1 so right side first.
The second is just for the Airbus 320 , as parking brake recive also pressure from Yellow hydraulic system (N.2 engine), we start first N.2 to permit to rise immediately pressure on Yellow and Parking Brake, and shut down n.1 first , for the same reason.

I wish to say hello at all you , this is my fisrt post...

idg
21st Jun 2004, 23:19
Flyjet,

When the FCOM says 1 and 2, I don't believe it means 1 then 2. For my money your instructor is being too pedantic if he is pushing this point. There are any number of arguments pro and con the order in which to shut the engines down (as my learned colleagues have already posted) but there is no technical reason for doing it in any particular sequence.

One further reason might be for standardisation if your airline flies 330s where (as I am told) there is a technical reason for shutting down engines in that order.

BN2A, You have never flown in China then.....definite death wish on the part of ground handlers over here!!

BN2A
22nd Jun 2004, 10:57
Quite right... Not flown to China!!

The places where I go, we have difficulty getting the loaders in the hold at all.....

:p

Toubob
22nd Jun 2004, 18:16
On the 321 what side powers the hydraulics for the parking brake?

On the 330 #1 powers blue hydraulics and parking brake,that could be a reason for #2 then #1.

If worst comes to worst why not ask the instructor why, then look up the reference in the FCOM's.

Alloy
22nd Jun 2004, 19:49
Toubob, engine #2 directly pressurises the yellow hydraulics for the alternate brakes/parking brake on the 319/320/321.

But as you say on the 330 #1 powers blue hydraulics and alternate brakes/parking brake.

We start #2 first on the 320's but #1 on the 330's.

We always shut down #1 and then #2 on our 320/321/330's, the time interval on shut down being negligible and the parking accumulator should after flight be fully charged!

catchup
25th Jun 2004, 06:38
Hi Flyjet

Do your SOP contain a procedure for single engine taxi in? If so, the answer is allready given.